Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think


Lewes Forum New message

North Street Quarter Development Decision

13
1
On 15 Oct 2015 at 12:11am lewes wrote:
The north street planning committee meeting will be held on 10th December to finally make a decision on the planning application according to the SDNP authority website.
11
3
On 15 Oct 2015 at 8:06am Southstreeter wrote:
I know the bulldozing of phase 1 on the site will commence on March 1st 2016 regardless of any planning application decisions . My guess is that any future planning will be made easier when it involves a flattened "bomb sight ".
I wonder if we'll have protesters chained to railings etc , I suspect so .
28
27
On 15 Oct 2015 at 9:16am unspoken majority wrote:
The majority of people would like the santon plans to go ahead. They're realistic, will create housing, help the local economy and will demolish the eyesore. Any good businesses who relied on renting cheap industrial space will move to somewhere else like newhaven. It will be good for newhaven (and places like it).
4
2
On 15 Oct 2015 at 9:29am Northstreeter wrote:
When I have sight of the site after it's finished, I shall comment.
9
16
On 15 Oct 2015 at 9:45am me wrote:
"The majority of people would like the santon plans to go ahead" swap people for DFL's!
8
3
On 15 Oct 2015 at 9:51am Selfish Git wrote:
Swap DFLs for LDC
23
9
On 15 Oct 2015 at 10:26am OffRoad wrote:
""The majority of people would like the santon plans to go ahead" swap people for DFL's!
Now that's just utter, utter, utter rubbish. In my experience it is DFLs who are most anti-Santon. Proper locals seem to think it's a good thing to redevelop an eyesore and provide much needed new housing.
15
15
On 15 Oct 2015 at 11:33am Red wrote:
I don't want it to go ahead
19
10
On 15 Oct 2015 at 1:28pm The futures orange wrote:
I really want the development to go ahead
7
4
On 15 Oct 2015 at 1:38pm Smiler wrote:
So we swap lots of useful services and businesses for more houses containing more people who need those services and businesses which aren't there any more.
Sounds like a really bad idea to me.
11
8
On 15 Oct 2015 at 1:44pm lewes wrote:
Smiler, you realise that those services are actually being relocated then the houses will be built so what do we lose? We just gain much needed housing. The services will make more money with more potential customers as most businesses are staying in the local area?
5
9
On 15 Oct 2015 at 2:11pm Santoff wrote:
@Lewes - Sorry, but I'm not convinced that you're a genuine resident of Lewes. Your posts sound like press releases and the thumbs-ups are a bit fishy.
6
10
On 15 Oct 2015 at 2:25pm Zzz.. wrote:
But they are not all being relocated are they? What have you done about Arthole / Cafe des Artistes for instance? Nothing, just chucked them out. For more on Santon and LDC's shoddy underhand treatment of them see their Facebook page (dunno if the link below will work)

Check it out here »
3
2
On 15 Oct 2015 at 2:51pm Gift wrote:
North street was deliberately left to run down by the previous developer and because they owned the site, planners were unable to do anything. Further, a decision by councillors and senior officers at LDC had been made by 2011 to sell off the site. No heed what so ever was made of the views of local residents until they were presented with the fact that the site would be cleared, it remains to be seen as how much weight is given to local views once the development is complete. Ten tears ago North Street was a thriving commercial area with many successful businesses creating jobs for a wide selection of residents. Unfortunately it was also a prime site for gentrification.
11
8
On 15 Oct 2015 at 4:57pm Merlin Milner wrote:
We need properly affordable housing, including social housing for locals. Those new residents will need local jobs. The Santon development will not create extra jobs, so those new residents will probably not work in Lewes.
Personally I would like North street to have factories and 'council' houses creating local wealth, jobs and allow local families to stay in the town.
8
3
On 15 Oct 2015 at 5:57pm withit wrote:
@gift , it was the floods that took most of the few businesses left and that has not changed that area is still not protected and you have people living down there now, we need this development to bring flood defences if nothing else
8
2
On 15 Oct 2015 at 6:03pm Southstreeter wrote:
@santoff, weirdly I suspect the opposite to you , that all the anti development posts and subsequent thumbs ups are from the Phoenix rising rent a mob ... guess that's what constitutes a varied opinion .
4
5
On 15 Oct 2015 at 7:06pm Santoff wrote:
I love the way any opposition is a 'rent a mob'. All I can say is that regardless of the rights and wrongs, there are a lot of people on here who aren't regulars and the style of the 'pro' posts betrays corporate origins. I'm pretty sure that some non-locals are trying to talk up the benefits.
11
3
On 15 Oct 2015 at 7:41pm lewes wrote:
Santoff you are completely wrong as I have lived in lewes all my life and see the development as a great opportunity for lewes. You must be suffering from deluded paranoia to think that santon would bother to pr on here. I know that there are many people who welcome the development. Strange how you find that so hard to swallow!
9
2
On 15 Oct 2015 at 7:51pm lewes wrote:
Merlin, the development does create jobs, new nursery health centre dentists bars and cafes plus the people working on the development for 4 years not to mention the residents of the 416 properties that will spend their money in the town. The current businesses will be relocated therefore the development will create jobs and homes, a high proportion of them affordable and provision for social housing and the developer will pay for flood defences so to say it is not creating jobs is absurd!
3
7
On 15 Oct 2015 at 9:31pm Belladonna wrote:
There are 450 jobs currently dependant on premises in North St . So where are they being relocated, Lewes ? Even if the new development creates 50 jobs in bars or a health centre you still have a net loss of 400 jobs.
7
1
On 15 Oct 2015 at 10:02pm lewes wrote:
The soap factory is going to malling brooks, wenban is going to malling brooks, the other businesses have also been offered relocation. It is upto those businesses to decide if they are staying in lewes or moving to new cheaper premises outside lewes if they can't afford it. 400 jobs are therefore not being lost then. Plus the additional jobs, homes and flexible workspaces which are added by the development create a far greater benefit to the town.
6
9
On 15 Oct 2015 at 10:07pm Janet wrote:
As I understand it only 2 businesses have been helped to relocate Wenbans and the Soap manufacturers. There's an awful lot of fledgling start ups on the Phoenix who will most likely go under as a result of losing their reasonably priced premises.
The big winners is the building work is carried out will be Santon not the average Lewesian who will have many more people with whom they will have to compete for places at schools, doctors, dentists.
I'm sorry but I can't see how this development will in any way be beneficial to me but I can see many ways in which I will lose out.
5
1
On 15 Oct 2015 at 10:08pm Chap wrote:
Seriously? 450 jobs? Surely some mistake?
4
5
On 15 Oct 2015 at 10:09pm Janet wrote:
not to mention all the extra traffic on the roads
1
8
On 15 Oct 2015 at 10:12pm Janet wrote:
There must be easily 450 people working down there. There are probably 40 employed at the fire station alone.
Take a walk down there some time
 
7
On 15 Oct 2015 at 10:39pm Santoff wrote:
@Lewes - My apologies if you're a genuine Lewesian, but how do I know you're telling the truth? And why do you have so many facts at your fingertips? Your support for the development isn't simply that of a casual member of the public .
7
1
On 15 Oct 2015 at 11:05pm Withit wrote:
@all , take the time to read the application quote from facts not fiction , there are two sides to this argument , don't shoot down the freedom of speech that can only use websites like this to hide our real names for fear of being shot down and victimised by more vociferous neighbours , it is making Lewes a sad place and a very hypocritical one as well
5
 
On 15 Oct 2015 at 11:15pm lewes wrote:
Santoff, the developers have been in consultation with the residents of lewes and as residents bordering the site we have had many meetings and input which has been addressed into the plans for the development at the early stages through to the planning app. I am very interested in this process hence my enthusiasm after examining the fine details and discussing them at length with the developer. All the info is also readily available on their website and the actual plans are available to view on the SDNP website. As you can imagine as residents bordering the estate I was very concerned for the impact of the proposal and therefore got into consultation with the developer. I now believe this is going to be a great development for lewes. Unlike the previous propsal from stiles which the 'lewes matters' pressure group managed to delay and hence bank repossession of the site until santon and ldc made their purchase of the land.
 
4
On 15 Oct 2015 at 11:19pm Janet wrote:
so what's in it for you Lewes?
1
1
On 15 Oct 2015 at 11:29pm janet wrote:
I live here so a better improved lewes. What's not in it for you?
3
1
On 15 Oct 2015 at 11:31pm Withit wrote:
@janet how rude and personal my point exactly , be ashamed !
9
3
On 15 Oct 2015 at 11:59pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
Janet's question seems quite reasonable to me. I'm still undecided, but I'm veering towards the anti simply because the pro camp sound like corporate mouthpieces rather than local people who are passionate about it. How will more people and more traffic benefit the town, apart from pumping a little more money into the local economy? Will my sons be able to benefit from the extra housing (assuming they earn the average wage)? Would we suffer in any way if the development didn't go ahead?
I'd like to see the area developed, as it is an eyesore at the moment and it's a shame we can't enjoy walking along the riverbank, but all I can see is a 'lifestyle' development that will be quite soulless.
13
3
On 16 Oct 2015 at 12:24am southstreeter wrote:
@janet 40 jobs at the fire station !
A: obviously the fire station will be relocated
B: its a retained station which means there are very few full time fire officers there at any one time and officers are called when an emergency requires them .
C: Wenbans and the soap factory are relocating
Im sure readers of this forum would love a break down of all the other employment figures on the site and maybe a list of all the start up businesses based there that the people of lewes will miss .
@Lewes , you make your points well and in a reasoned manner , its a shame that anti Santon posters find it impossible to believe that many of us welcome this development . I imagine that many of the people living there ( does it have residential permission ? ) are among those regularly posting here opposing the scheme .
8
1
On 16 Oct 2015 at 12:31am lewes wrote:
Well 'Earl of lewes' we will have to agree to disagree and wait and see how it really does impact lewes once the development is built. I am still convinced that it will benefit all of us but yes it does remain to be seen. Fingers crossed!
1
6
On 16 Oct 2015 at 4:57am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Does anyone know where North Street garage and Furniture Now are going to relocate to?
Furniture Now is a great project run by a charity, it offers employment and training opportunities and provides cheap furniture to people on low incomes. Because it's in the town centre, people who take up training placements there often have minimal travel costs.
North Street garage is always busy, and it's convenient for a lot of people who live and work in the town, because it's central.
And how many bars and cafes are they proposing to have? Does Lewes really need more bars and cafes?
1
2
On 16 Oct 2015 at 8:26am Celine wrote:
And what about Compass buses? What is happening with them? They provide the local bus services!
3
 
On 16 Oct 2015 at 8:33am lewes wrote:
Celine and Annette, yes what us happening are they taking up the offer of space on malling brooks or are they relocating elsewhere? Surely just relocating as they have been offered help to do so. I'll ask them and if I find out ill let you know.
2
4
On 16 Oct 2015 at 9:45am Janet wrote:
I can't see how asking someone about their motivation can be rude, many posters on here are very clear about their motivation.
@Lewes How are they businesses being helped to relocate exactly?
Whats's not in it for me? Let me spell it out:
no Starfish,
no Furniture now,
no North Street Garage
no Norh Street Dentist
no Zu Studios
no Cafe des Artistes
no Foundry Gallery
no Maker spaces
no Lewes Shed
no Pop Up Studios
no Dance Academy
no Lewes Tyres
no Pine strippers
no Equestrian Shop
overcrowded Pells Pool
no Compass Travel
no Body Workshop
no Lewes Car Body Workshop
less Furniture design/manufaturers
less screen printers
no Harrisons Design & Make
no Self Storage place
no Recycling centre
less large office space
no Gorringes
loss of 2 large car parks
more traffic
less chance of getting my kids into a primary school
longer wait for a doctors appointment
bigger queues in Tescos/Aldi/Waitrose


but hey we're getting 450 new houses most of which will probably be bought as buy-to-lets

The rich get richer and we pay the price
4
2
On 16 Oct 2015 at 1:04pm lewes wrote:
Ridiculous most of these businesses are being relocated so you shall be able to continue to use them. If these businesses mean as much to you as you say you will hop on a bus or even ride or drive and continue to support them so no real weight to your argument. There will be many improvements and benefits to lewes as a whole. It's a shame as you seem too short sighted to see the benefit to a wider audience then just yourself.
2
1
On 16 Oct 2015 at 2:48pm Janet wrote:
I was pointing out how it will affect me I'm sure other people will be affected just as much some more so if they lose their livelihoods.
I do not believe the majority are being relocated. Can you provide any proof to back that statement up?


This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one


 

Lewes Station 83:132
Lewes Station

Just noticed. TP started "Quote of the Moment", although it's hard to understand what it's for. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like it when people find lost stuff on the forum
Jim