Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Norman votes to keep the bedroom tax

On 13 Nov 2013 at 5:22pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Our MP chose to represent us by voting to keep this ill-thought out piece of legislation unchanged.
He definitely won't be getting my vote now. Please remind me, should I show signs of wavering come 2015.

Check it out here »
On 13 Nov 2013 at 5:40pm normans wisdom wrote:
Absolutely the right vote. Support the bedroom tax!
On 13 Nov 2013 at 6:10pm big lemoni wrote:
He was right to support it.
A national poll carried out last week showed that 68% of people are in favour of the spare room subsidy
On 13 Nov 2013 at 6:56pm Home owner! wrote:
And why not? I've 2 spare rooms in my house. Oh but I've worked since leaving school and brought mine rather than rely on state hand outs!
On 13 Nov 2013 at 7:06pm Flubbery wrote:
Yes. I've got 10 and don't give a sh××
On 13 Nov 2013 at 7:21pm Border Control wrote:
Trouble is we are talking Council tenants, or housing benefit recipients who are individuals being subsidised by the state. Plus the lack of one bedroom/smaller accommodation availability. If they feel they need extra space then obviously they should pay the balance. It's a tough world.
On 13 Nov 2013 at 7:38pm home owner wrote:
Like the poll tax superficially attractive policy to appeal to gut feelings about fairness but actually very bad policy when you look into it. There are insufficient numbers of smaller properties at affordable rents for the people affected to move to so they are just getting into rent arrears, or becoming homeless. Some housing associations are knocking down perfectly good 3 bed properties to build smaller ones because their tenants are caught by this measure. I too work hard and was lucky to have working class parents who supported me in my education leading to a good job and my own home, but I know others who are not bad people but not as fortunate as me. What I really object to is employers paying such low wages that non rich taxpayers have to subsidise their employees with tax credits and housing benefit - that is taxing us all to support the rich and the biggest scam on us by both Con Dem and pseudo Labour Governments.
On 13 Nov 2013 at 9:31pm Ex Norman Voter wrote:
Norman Baker doesn't do what people though he would.. This is a horrible bit of showboating legislation that seeks to give the mean-sprinted and misinformed a sense that scroungers are getting their comeuppance. It is certainly not the most cost effective way of grabbing cash. from people who don't earn enough to enjoy the benefits of tax avoidance. The reality is that most people are not scroungers, but are our much loved friends, neighbours and relatives. Many need our support. not more tax payments. Scroungers and tax avoiders, wealthy, or not don't take any notice of silly taxes, they just carry on fleecing the system, but do it in a different way. Norman has clearly decided that it is his Tory tactical voters who will keep him in power, so he has become a Tory-by-proxy And not even a sensible, compassionate Tory either. It is hardly surprising that so many people who voted for him feel completely cheated, and his continuing right-wing voting record disgusts me.
On 13 Nov 2013 at 10:05pm reality wrote:
True home owner, you are indeed funding the rich by ensuring their underpaid workers have enough money to live.
But, as Border Control says, its a tough world. What he means though is its a tough world for the working and middle classes, its a greedily luxurious world of entitlement for the parasitic wealthy.
On 13 Nov 2013 at 10:11pm Jim wrote:
I'm lucky, and the funny thing is the harder and smarter I've always worked, the luckier I've become !
On 14 Nov 2013 at 9:15am Ex Norman voter wrote:
What an ignorant comment. You might be less smug if you find your perfect circumstances change from no fault of your own. Death, health, crime, and accident can be quite inconvenient and do not discriminate between hardworking successes, such as yourself, and 'the unlucky' who you seem to think must all be lazy.
It is surprising how the veneer of success quickly peels off when you are struggling with problems.
If you are lucky enough to get old, and can't be so dazzlingly successful, and your investments and pensions weren't quite as secure as your thought they were, and your health isn't what it was, and the people attracted to your luck, but not you, have moved on to someone a bit more exciting, .... you will be reliant on people like me and my funny little ideas about not making things worse for the vulnerable.
You would still get my financial support, but don't expect a Xmas card. :-)

On 14 Nov 2013 at 1:18pm AVOR wrote:
Why have we not got any MP's who rigorously pursue the idea of closing tax avoidance loopholes? The amount of money we are getting from the so called bedroom tax is a drop in the ocean compared to the amount of money we would gain by enforcing all companies to pay the right amount of tax. Our ridiculous system allows it, and so do ALL politicians. They would rather squeeze blood from benefit recipients than look in their own (rich and wealthy) back yards. This has to be changed. Can we overthrow the government or something? They will never change the rules, it would be like Turkeys voting for Christmas.

On 14 Nov 2013 at 3:41pm PLUMPTON LAD wrote:
If all Labour MPs had turned up the government would have been defeated, 45 of them didn't boter to attend.
On 14 Nov 2013 at 10:54pm NF wrote:
He has lost my vote, mainly due to my understanding the deperate situation this policy puts thew poor into.
What a shame so many are so blind and naive on this issue.

On 14 Nov 2013 at 11:40pm Belladonna wrote:
As the Condems have a majority in parliament they were always likely to win this one, but surprised Labour MPs failed to show up
On 15 Nov 2013 at 11:11am AVOR wrote:
I do not understand how they can choose to just not show up. We pay them handsomely to show up. That is their job. It would be like me still expecting my salary but failing to turn up at work. It isn't as though they live too far away because we pay their rent on handy London flats, it isn't as though they can't afford the train fare as we pay that too, so how on earth can they justify just not showing up. Lets invoke a disciplinary procedure and put them all on a warning.

On 15 Nov 2013 at 11:20am Floating Voter wrote:
"Norman votes to keep the bedroom Tax" - perhaps that would be more accurate if it read "Norman votes to keep his job"...
As with almost all MPs, once elected Norman pretends to serve the electorate in his constituents, but in reality serves himself regardless of his constiuents wishes, by following whatever vote/line gives him maximum chance of staying on in his cushy Westminster job.
Maybe the only mitigating thing is that, unlike 40 odd Labourites, he did bother to turn u and vote.
So, Norman can't be trusted to suport the "poor" , and 40+ Labour MS obviously don't care enough to vote about something their party supposedly objects to...... shows what a bunch of "caring" MPs they all are.

On 15 Nov 2013 at 11:21am Floating Voter wrote:
"Norman votes to keep the bedroom Tax" - perhaps that would be more accurate if it read "Norman votes to keep his job"...
As with almost all MPs, once elected Norman pretends to serve the electorate in his constituents, but in reality serves himself regardless of his constiuents wishes, by following whatever vote/line gives him maximum chance of staying on in his cushy Westminster job.
Maybe the only mitigating thing is that, unlike 40 odd Labourites, he did bother to turn u and vote.
So, Norman can't be trusted to suport the "poor" , and 40+ Labour MS obviously don't care enough to vote about something their party supposedly objects to...... shows what a bunch of "caring" MPs they all are.

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Keere Street Cross 48:132
Keere Street Cross

Just save me the bother and explain how this undermines current scientific consensus on climate change. Your previous recommended... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington