Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Norman Finkelstein to Margaret Hodge

On 17 Aug 2018 at 2:41pm Jews for Justice wrote:
Norman Finkelstein to Dame Margaret Hodge: 'You haven't a clue what you're talking about'

Watch the video »
On 17 Aug 2018 at 2:55pm Tom wrote:
Yay more American BS
On 17 Aug 2018 at 3:35pm Eretz Israeli wrote:
Finkelstein is a fake Jew ,Hodge is a true friend of Israel.You must not watch this rubbish.
On 17 Aug 2018 at 4:44pm ear to the ground wrote:
I'm glad that someone has had the courage to post on Margaret Hodge.
On Sky news on16 Aug she had compared receiving a letter from the Labour disciplinary committee to the Nazi persecution. This in my view is an
enormously shocking use and demeaning of the horrors suffered by so many during the Holocaust. It was a new low in the quite deliberate media fire storm cynically orchestrated to destabilise Her Majesty's Opposition. And contributed to a decent man being pilloried in a totally propagandist and offensive manner.
On 17 Aug 2018 at 7:03pm Clifford wrote:
When Hodge was the 'left wing' leader of Islington Council she announced, 'If you're well enough to go to the doctor you're well enough to come to work.' She was married to a millionaire at the time and politics was simply a hobby.
On 17 Aug 2018 at 11:14pm Hypocrite Hodge wrote:
Margaret Hodge's family company pays just 0.01pc tax on £2.1bn of business generated in the UK
Margaret Hodge, chairman of the Public Accounts Committee, is facing embarrassing revelations over the tax affairs of her family company just days before she is due to lead the grilling of US companies over controversial tax arrangements.
The Labour MP has been one of the fiercest critics of tax avoidance by companies such as Starbucks, Google and Amazon. However, she is likely to face questions over the limited tax paid by Stemcor, the steel trading company in which she owns shares and which was founded by her father and is run by her brother.
Analysis of Stemcor’s latest accounts show that the business paid tax of just £163,000 on revenues of more than £2.1bn in 2011. However. it is not known whether the company – which made profits of £65m – used similar controversial tax avoidance measures criticised in the past by Mrs Hodge.
Stemcor’s tax bill to the exchequer equates to just 0.01pc of the revenues it booked through its UK-based business. In accounts filed with Companies House, Stemcor revealed that despite generating about one third of its revenues in Britain, its UK tax contribution made up only 2.7pc of the tax the company paid globally.
Stemcor was founded by Mrs Hodge’s father Hans Oppenheimer more than 60 years ago.
Today, the business claims to be the sixth largest private UK company by turnover. Last year the company, which employs 2,000 people in 45 countries, generated sales of £6bn from trading about 20m tonnes of steel.

Check it out here »

On 17 Aug 2018 at 11:26pm Older voter wrote:
No wonder she is trying to get rid of Corbyn,she might have to pay some more tax if he gets in.
On 18 Aug 2018 at 11:33am Oppenheimer wrote:
What does that name tell us ?
On 18 Aug 2018 at 2:01pm Eh? wrote:
I don't know,what does that name tell us?

28 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Lansdown Penny 127:143
The Lansdown Penny

Anyone interested in taking up or getting back into cricket please see the Lewes Priory Cricket Club website (link below). We... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare