Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Norman Baker wants to keep nice long holidays

On 23 Apr 2013 at 12:14pm belladonna wrote:
Our local MP thinks it's fine to have great long holidays for MP's. Maybe he'd like to come on here and defend his remarks in the article attached.

I'd like to see MP's given the same amount of holiday days as most employees - eg between 4-6 weeks a year. (20-30 days). They may claim to be working in constituencies but how can they account for their time ? Every MP's website needs to have a detailed diary daily breakdown of where they are - whether on parliamentary business, or in the constituency. Or on holiday.
I see on Norman Baker's website that he has included a video release of his group's latest single - does this count as MP's work ! ?

Check it out here »

On 23 Apr 2013 at 12:15pm belladonna wrote:
And here is a link to our local MP's official website.

Check it out here »
On 23 Apr 2013 at 1:34pm The All Knowing Head wrote:
Whoa!!! Steady on. Perhaps they should have more holidays, that way they would have less time to claim spurious expenses for, less time to attempt to garner favour with the public, less time to be photographed with the prolitereat and less time to endlessly muck things up!!!
On 23 Apr 2013 at 1:41pm Baldie wrote:
Knob
On 23 Apr 2013 at 2:19pm Zebedee wrote:
We should *all* have longer holidays

On 23 Apr 2013 at 4:38pm bastian wrote:
just out of interest, are they paid for the whole year ( is that £65k based on 44 weeks a year) , or do they not get paid when they are on the long holiday. school employees are not paid for the time they are on holiday except for the standard leave- the money is splurged across the twelve months but they only actually paid for the 44 weeks a year they work. Is it the same for MPs ?
On 23 Apr 2013 at 4:58pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I often think it might be better if parliament never sat, tbh.
They rarely seem to do anything useful.
And why do we get so few public holidays compared to most other European countries? We need a couple more, ideally today and Trafalgar Day.
On 23 Apr 2013 at 6:22pm Enoch wrote:
An MP's job does fall into the brackets of the public sector and so long holidays, hi wages and amazing pension scheme are all perks of the job.
On 23 Apr 2013 at 6:43pm Clifford wrote:
Enoch: And 660,000 workers have lost their jobs. That's also one of the public sector perks. And now the IMF has told Osborne he's gone too far with his 'austerity'.
On 23 Apr 2013 at 7:55pm Sussex Jim wrote:
The last Labour administration created almost a million extra public sector "posts" during their three terms in office. This may have looked good for the unemployment figures; but those in real jobs had to fund this excess.

On 23 Apr 2013 at 8:38pm Insomniac wrote:
Jim, I'm getting more and more confused with every one of your posts, you seem to love the Tories but hate Labour. Are you a right wing fan of capitalism or not? Make up your mind.

On 23 Apr 2013 at 9:04pm Baldie wrote:
Such a paper hat

On 23 Apr 2013 at 11:12pm Clifford wrote:
Sussex Jim falls into the usual fallacy: NHS nurse - pampered public sector non-job; private healthcare nurse - real job. Police officer - pampered public sector non-job; Group 4 security guard - real job.
On 23 Apr 2013 at 11:15pm Clifford wrote:
To put it another way, Sussex Jim: Who do you think pays the wages of people in private sector jobs? We do, out of what we pay for the goods and services they provide. Who do you think pays the wages of people in public sector jobs? We do, out of the taxes we pay for the services they provide. So as we, the people, pay for both, what's the difference between them?

On 24 Apr 2013 at 7:55am Nevil Rook wrote:
Most private sector jobs are supported by the public sector through family tax credits for example as they pay inadequate wages ! Capitalism is no longer workijng.

On 24 Apr 2013 at 7:58am Pete wrote:
Well, if local people will go voting for Norman, you can't really complain can you ?
On 24 Apr 2013 at 8:25am Sussex Jim wrote:
Insomniac, my mind was made up years ago as soon as I was old enough to think for myself. I have seen Labour wreck this country with their outdated ideas; even "new" Labour had to appease the left in order to stay in power.
I would like to support the Tories; but Cameron has done four things wrong to date that affect me, and I am thinking "three strikes and you are out".
What I am really concerned about at the moment is maintaining the idyllic rural environment that we currently enjoy, and the only way to do that is to maintain the old-fashioned but stable Conservative-controlled County councils of both East and West Sussex, and Kent and Surrey.
On 24 Apr 2013 at 8:34am Nevil rook wrote:
"idyllic rural environment that we currently enjoy" tell that to Farmer Harmer !

On 24 Apr 2013 at 11:44am Dave wrote:
Who doesn't
On 24 Apr 2013 at 12:46pm Nixon Scraypes wrote:
Keep them divided against themseves and they won't see what's going on.Keep the locals at odds with the DFLs.Stir up resentment between the public and private sector.Get the rurals and the townies at each others throats.Encourage the caring left to hate the bigoted right.Oh there's no end to the ways you can distract and divide them while you bleed them white.

On 24 Apr 2013 at 1:25pm Morse wrote:
Why can't I post a new thread? Is this the end of the forum?

On 24 Apr 2013 at 3:43pm The old mayor wrote:
It is now !

On 24 Apr 2013 at 5:25pm belladonna wrote:
Seems no one cares. Ah well you get the corrupt MP's you deserve, but I didn;t vote for him and I won't be voting for any of the shower of Lib Dems, Independents, UKIPs, Labour and Tories standing at the local elections.

On 24 Apr 2013 at 6:21pm Nevil Rook wrote:
God your poisonous Bella !

On 25 Apr 2013 at 5:22pm belladonna wrote:
hehehehe. (It's YOU'RE by the way)

On 26 Apr 2013 at 1:40am insomniac wrote:
Jim, I'd be interested to know how you think Labour appeased the left to stay in power, which is I suppose your way of admitting they were indeed a right wing administration.
Was it the introduction of University tuition fees?
The further de-regulation of the banking industry?
What about slashing HMRI inspector budgets?
Ramping up Major's PFI scams to indebting our children?
Or maybe it was Blair's oft stated admiration for Thatcher, along with her reciprocal "My legacy is Tony Blair" sick-fest.
If you're so staunchly right wing, perhaps you ought to give up those terrible terrible things Labour and the unions fought for on your behalf; weekends, employment law, the NHS, child support etc.
No? No, I thought not.

On 27 Apr 2013 at 11:13am Ed Can Do wrote:
Sussex Jim: "What I am really concerned about at the moment is maintaining the idyllic rural environment that we currently enjoy, and the only way to do that is to maintain the old-fashioned but stable Conservative-controlled County councils of both East and West Sussex, and Kent and Surrey"

So how does this viewpoint marry up with the massive, multi-million pound bypass the Tories at ESCC are building through a swathe of countryside round Bexhill?

And how does it sit with Champion of Democracy Jimmy Page's personal decision to sell off a nice patch of greenery in Newhaven for peanuts to developers?

And what about Tory ESCC painting bright yellow lines all over Lewes in order to fleece more money out of motorists here?

I'm also pretty sure it was a Tory controlled council who green-lighted the hideous roofing down South Street, the wind turbine at Glyndebourne people so love to complain about and who waved through development in Malling that the SDNP people rightly slapped down for being completely at odds with the local area.

I completely agree with you Jim that it's the responsibility of the local council to preserve our idyllic rural surroundings but I would love for you to give me some examples of things the Tories have done to achieve this that outweigh all the damage they've done I just listed. If you actually look at what the various levels of Tories round here have done to our countryside then if you still believe they're the best custodians for rural landscapes, I fear you are deluding yourself.

10 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

extinction rebellion lewes 36:132
extinction rebellion lewes

I doubt Davros as his Daleks would go to Davos, despite the obvious similarity in name. Its way too mountainous for the Daleks,... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the Walking to Mount Caburn at the weekend, Lounging about in Southover Grange Gardens eating strawberry ice cream in summertime, Proms in the Paddock, wicked night
A Kane