Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Norman Baker

On 9 May 2015 at 7:11am Sad Lad wrote:
I REALLY would like to know from any LABOUR supporter - particularly in LEWES - what they hoped to achieve by voting FOR Labour. Polly Toynbee was 100% correct when she warned that it would mean a win for the Conservative candidate. Was that Labour's objective - if so WHY ? I'm genuinely FOR democracy but if - in LEWES - this is the end result - then it clearly doesn't work. No wonder the Labour HQ was closed when I went past yesterday. Everyone left town ?
On 9 May 2015 at 8:47am Labour voter wrote:
I voted Labour because I liked the policies of the Labour party and I liked Ed Miliband. Conversely I didn't like the Lib Dems propping up the Tories and I didn't agree with the way Norman voted in Parliment. I cannot vote for someone who votes for the bedroom tax as well as increasing tuition fees and a number of other issues.
On 9 May 2015 at 9:02am Realist wrote:
And did it achieve anything? Meanwhile, we're about to see how much the libdems dId stop as the tories move to an agenda more unpleasant and thatcherite than thatcher. Well done. REALLY well donE.
I just hope labour accepts that it can only win from the centre left. Its our only hope.
On 9 May 2015 at 9:39am Meldrew wrote:
You cannot seriously want 5 years of Brown and Blair reincarnated in the form of Milliband and Balls to drag the country further into debt. No business could run it's affairs the way this Wallis and Grommit duo would have done. Then there's Yvette and Nicola as part of the mix. As an aside, how come Scottish National Party OK and British National Party bad? I hate these smug Oxbridge PPE types, especially when they are so clever and dismissive of us common types that dressing up like a Nazi is a bit of a prank (take note Mr Harry Windsor)- Balls even had the haircut to match. Add to this the triumphalism at the "Please welcome your next Prime Minister" and your fate is sealed mate. Most politicians would eat their own grandmother to make it onto the leather benches. I don't know Maria Caulfield from Adam, but even my goldfish would have been a better bet than the Ed double act. So poor old Norman had to pay the price. Still, leaves more time for strumming and musing in Viva. The sweetest moment was seeing EB's face change when he did the mental arithmetic. So, Lewes Labour and Lloyd Russell-Moyle (there's a mouthful) you did us all a favour - keep up the good work and put 2020 in your diary.
On 9 May 2015 at 10:21am Maria Caulfield wrote:
I would like to offer my thanks to the green and Labour voters of Lewes. I couldn't have managed it without you.
On 9 May 2015 at 10:23am Sam wrote:
Unfortunately the truth of the matter is that the liberal voters were diluted this year by those that opted for Green, the Greens did such a fabulous campaign that people were keen to get their newly founded voice heard and voted with their hearts. It's absolutely gutting that we lost Norman and gained Maria. X
On 9 May 2015 at 10:23am Sam wrote:
Unfortunately the truth of the matter is that the liberal voters were diluted this year by those that opted for Green, the Greens did such a fabulous campaign that people were keen to get their newly founded voice heard and voted with their hearts. It's absolutely gutting that we lost Norman and gained Maria. X
On 9 May 2015 at 10:38am mikey wrote:
Norman Baker did a good job for Lewes but I voted Tory. I would have voted for satan himself if it meant getting a Tory government. Labour in government are like children in a sweet shop. I don't know much about Maria Caulfield but I am sure she will do her best, a new broom sweeps clean. By the way I am working class not rich and the son of an immigrant mother.
On 9 May 2015 at 10:40am It`s that simple wrote:
What the LibDems failed to notice was that a large number of their voters in recent years were from disillusioned ex Labour voters and others from the left and those with an ecological bent who were disgusted by Blair and Iraq and liked the Lib Dem stance on the environment.When they teamed up with the Tories in a right wing government,the Labour party turned a bit left again lead by Milliband who was originally against the Iraq war and the Greens became the main recipient of the environmental vote as the Libs in government flirted with the idea of fracking and supported nuclear power their electoral fate was sealed.Its that simple.
On 9 May 2015 at 11:11am Paul Newman wrote:
The problem the Lib Dems faced has not been properly interpreted.The truth is the Lib Dems lost because they have been lying for years and finally got caught.
In the North they campaigned as left of Labour and in the South West as Labour with knobs on, elsewhere they pretended to be moderate Conservative and as they were never required to do anything the whole infuriating bodge of mutually contradictory gripes hoovered up every adolescent kidult who wanted to be “ radical” in the modern sense of “pointless”.
Within this Party were ,admittedly, some good people, Laws , Alexander Cable Hughes, Baker and above all Nick Clegg who is failure only if you count saving the country as a failure. It is certainly a shame to lose them.
Nonetheless when they cast about for others to blame, the ungrateful electorate ( who believed them )the ruthless Conservative Party ( as if they had not played the dirtiest tricks ), the unfair system ( same for everyone ) they had better have a good look at the real culprit
It wos the Liberal Democrats and their habitual dishonesty wot dunnit
On 9 May 2015 at 11:17am Horseman7 wrote:
There have been quite a few threads lambasting people for the way they voted.
Whoever you voted for, be it LibDem, Conservative, Labour, UKIP or Green (in no particular order), well done - you voted.
If you didn't bother to vote or weren't able to, then be thankful that approximately 77% of the Lewes electorate did have their say, whether you agree with their choice or not.
Many people died so that we could have this freedom, and indeed privilege. I feel honoured to have been able to vote for the candidate of my unhindered choice.
On 9 May 2015 at 11:23am Earl of Lewes wrote:
My problem with the Liberal campaign was that they didn't really tell us what the difference was that they made to the Coalition. In what ways would things have been worse without them? They should have been more vocal about their differences with the Tories. Instead, they just came across as a party who sold their souls to get into power. It's a pity, as I think they were acting from the best intentions, trying to put party differences aside in the national interest, but that's not how it came across. Similarly, Nick Clegg didn't come across at all well, but I met a friend who worked for him and she said that he was one of the nicest people she's ever worked for. Sadly, all I saw was a boring politician who kept droning on about "red lines". The Liberals have a big mountain to climb, but unless Maria Caulfield single-handedly restores the Uckfield line and widens the A27, I think Norman will be back in 2020 (if his pop career hasn't proved more lucrative).
On 9 May 2015 at 12:10pm Olod Bloke wrote:
@ Sad Lad - you wrote "I'm genuinely FOR democracy but if - in LEWES - this is the end result - then it clearly doesn't work."
How exactly has democracy failed to work in Lewes?
On 9 May 2015 at 1:18pm Frankie Lymon wrote:
@PN I'm not a kidult
On 9 May 2015 at 1:21pm Sad Lad wrote:
OK Olod Bloke.....It's democracy but the wrong sort then. 5000 Labour voters have got us a Tory MP for the next ..... years and got rid of a decent man in the process. Clever ?
On 9 May 2015 at 1:26pm Embarrassed wrote:
I am a little concerned over suggestions that people should not have voted Labour in Lewes, so as to keep the Tories out. Lib Dem supporters suggest that this 'tactical voting' is the only way to keep the tories out. Yet last time we voted the Lib Dems in for Lewes they promptly set up government with those Tories we were keeping out...thanks!
If the 'non-right' members of the public wanted to keep the Tories out then surely the most tactical thing to do would be to have a single opposition party rather than having the non-right seats split over many parties. This would mean the Lib Dems giving way I feel.
I am not suggesting that this is what I think should happen. But it irritates me when Lib Dem supporters damn Labour voters in this way without, perhaps, seeing the bigger picture.
On 9 May 2015 at 1:59pm Paul wrote:
Don't blame Labour or Greens if you didn't get enough votes. You lost that's it - look to yourselves not others. By the way your numbers don't add up anyway - more voted UKIP than Labour in Lewes but the Tories aren't whingeing about them etc.
On 9 May 2015 at 2:30pm Old Bloke wrote:
@Sad Lad - how exactly is it the "wrong sort of democracy"
I'd also like to enquire on why you insist upon (you certainly give the impression) of rubbishing the electorate
Can you not comprehend that voters have the wit and freedom to put their cross against the person they support
You don't seem very bright
On 9 May 2015 at 2:35pm Paul Newman wrote:
I am not convinced that the voting system makes as much difference as people may assume form the numbers. What they forget is that people are dynamic, so to speak. For example when the prospect of a clearly unreasonable amount of power being in SNP hands appeared people reacted to ensure this result did not happen
UKIP are badly under represented on the numbers , and I am not saying that it is ideal, but they are , after all , a minority in the country whose views have certainly shifted opinion in their direction , and rightly so.
I was actually astonished at how solid the UKIP vote stayed and the elction was by any reasonable measure a triumph for them .
On 9 May 2015 at 2:48pm joker wrote:
i rather have bater then the bloody conservatives,those who voted for conservatives are selfish and only think of them selfs and not every one else like the poor.
On 9 May 2015 at 2:49pm joker wrote:
i meant baker not bater lol sorry.

On 9 May 2015 at 2:51pm U Who? wrote:
Hardly a triumph when they lost an MP and they couldn`t even get their leader elected!They are on the wane if you ask me.
On 9 May 2015 at 5:36pm joker wrote:
conservatives =rich.plus they cheated there way back in power again.
On 9 May 2015 at 5:43pm joker wrote:
plus the conservatives want fox hunting back,and taking away your rights to protest.they are the worst kind of human beings on the planet.with so much hate for the poor.people who dont moan about them have there own house and nice car and plenty of money.
On 9 May 2015 at 5:45pm joker wrote:
go to the lewes catholic church ,your find people with alot of money.if i asked them for help do you think they will...like hell would they.
On 9 May 2015 at 5:46pm joker wrote:
problem with this world too much greed.period.

On 9 May 2015 at 7:44pm Curate wrote:
We are poor but appreciate volunteers

On 11 May 2015 at 1:37pm DustBuster wrote:
What Norman - and the other Lib Dems - learnt was the simple lesson that if you do a deal with Satan there is a price to pay. The Lib Dem pact with the Tories was truly Faustian and the day of reckoning came. They had power for five years. It'll take decades to build again from only eight seats nationally.

9 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Starfish Studios Lewes 109:132
Starfish Studios Lewes

I'll leave that to you pancetta,you do such a lovely job.
Most of the government grants are going to the big players as the... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams