Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Nominations for Lewes Civic Award

On 3 Dec 2011 at 5:16pm Matt Kent wrote:
Lewes Town Council is delighted to be launching a new scheme of annual ‚??Lewes Civic Awards‚??.
The awards are to celebrate the silent stars working tirelessly among us and in recognition of outstanding service to the people of Lewes. The Council is calling on people across the town to put forward nominations for the awards and we want you, the public, to tell us about people in your community who achieve great things or go above and beyond what is expected of them.
Nominations are invited in the categories of Arts, Community, Environment, Heritage and Sports with a deadline for applications of 31 December 2011. The judging panel will then consider all nominations and the awards will be presented on 19 April 2012. Each person selected will receive a certificate plus a cheque for £100 payable to a charity of their choice, and a special enamelled lapel badge.
The application form can be downloaded and printed off from the link. Cheers

Check it out here »
On 3 Dec 2011 at 7:29pm Paul Newman wrote:
I would like to nominate me. I`m great

On 3 Dec 2011 at 10:18pm Smiler wrote:
I want to nominate Steve Franklin
He selflessly and tirelessly inspires the youngster who make up Starfish the fantastic Lewes Youth Music Project.
I suspect if you were to ask kids in this town who has inspired them the most his name would come up pretty regularly.

On 3 Dec 2011 at 11:16pm drone wrote:
Worked on a project with Steve a few years ago. He is a hard working & dedicated bloke.

On 3 Dec 2011 at 11:29pm Deelite wrote:
I can agree with Steve Franklin of Starfish. Selfless, worthy and brought confidence and music to many kids. I'd also like to nominate Carmen Slijpen of Lewes Junior Film Club. Another great facility for kids. As for Paul Newman nominating himself. There is no clown category.

On 4 Dec 2011 at 12:40am Dave wrote:
I think Webbo, the bloke who runs this website should at least get a mention in the community section.

On 4 Dec 2011 at 4:38am Paul Newman wrote:
No need to be snippy Deelite , only kidding natch. I see there is a sports category. Andrew Farmiloe puts a lot of effort into Lewes RFC mini rugby, but then so do others in all the age groups, it might be unfair to pick out one. Its one of those brilliant successes you take for granted. In those circumstances it might suit for the club to nominate someone to represent everyone`s efforts.
I think it deserves a mention anyway.

On 4 Dec 2011 at 8:39am DFL wrote:
How about people like Sarah Rideout and her colleagues who run the Lewes Organic Allotment Project behind Highdown Road. They pull all the stops out to help people with disabilities to be able to grow their own veg etc. Also, must mention our Ruth, she is absolutely tireless in all activities to do with the community.

On 4 Dec 2011 at 9:52am cyclist wrote:
How about the guys who do the bike surgery on Saturday mornings outside Fitzroy. Any money they take goes into buying tools and spares. They don't take any payment for themselves. NB if Ashley is reading this I suggest he takes his bike to them for advice.

On 4 Dec 2011 at 7:54pm Matt Kent wrote:
Great to see a few names in this thread already. Please pass this message on and please find the time to download a nomination form and fill it in and send it back to Lewes Town Hall before the end of the year. There are plenty of worthy candidates out there and the Town Council looks forward to announcing the winners in Spring 2012.
On 4 Dec 2011 at 9:15pm Lewes bloke wrote:
One of the guys who does the bike surgery looks rather like "Mr Franks" who taught me at Priory School in the 80s and left under somewhat dubious circumstances so I won't be rushing to vote for him........

On 5 Dec 2011 at 9:55am Actually wrote:
I think you'll find that Mr Franks was found entirely innocent of all the charges laid against him but did end up out of a job and in fact career as a result of the untrue allegations. It's nasty little rumour-mongers like you that cause these things in the first place.

On 5 Dec 2011 at 8:08pm Clifford wrote:
I agree with Dave - Webbo, for enabling information, education, humour.

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Torchlit 126:132
Torchlit

You forgot to mention that the earth is flat, Tom more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine