Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Noisy Children ? Frankie and Bennies is Perfick

On 5 Jun 2011 at 7:34pm Paul Newman wrote:
Must share this with anyone, who, like us, has very young loud children. I have three boys one five year old and twins of three. As you might imagine going anywhere to eat is near to impossible and pricey. Lewes is not well equipped and I draw the line at MacDonald's.
The answer is Frankie and Bennies at Brighton Marina. The whole Marina is a sort of Milton Keynes on sea and what you discover is that this is just what you need. I haven`t had food like that for years. Spicy wings, ribs, dough balls pizzas burgers,crumbles, sticky toffee pudding, all the guilty pleasures they used to do at Garfunkel `s plus Pizzas.
Good things
1 Super cheap lunch menu and kids menu
2 Noisy atmosphere you cannot spoil ( no tutting )
3 Great service
4 Those Wimpy-Bar slide along seats so the little sods cannot run away
5 Excellent games and pens and stuff
6 Yummy
7 Easy free parking
Someone told us to go there and so I am passing it on, not exactly fine dining, but it really works if monkey control and containment is a big factor. .

On 5 Jun 2011 at 8:29pm Drownded wrote:
So you did not lose them to the sea then? I remember the Marina as fraught with danger when I took five year olds there a couple of years ago.

On 5 Jun 2011 at 8:36pm Lambo wrote:
Gosh, something we have in common Paul. I too have three boys with the same age difference as yours - a few years older so we've been through the whole eating out/where to go business.
I'd vouch for Frankie and Bennies, I think they're a smallish chain around the Southeast.
Our boys were recently taken to Fat Leo's in Brighton. Good reports there on food, sevice and price.
As for when they were 5, 3 and 3 I think we should have bought shares in Pizza Express. A firm favourite, although I'm a little bored of them now!
Also, any family run Italian restaurant is/was good as the Italians do seem to genuinely enjoy children's company and make a fuss of them.
We've avoided the fast food junk holes since birth. As a result, we never get pestered to go to them. I think Lewes avoiding such plagues is a real credit to the town.

On 5 Jun 2011 at 8:47pm MC wrote:
Italian. The wholly venerable Lewes Lazattis Famiglia (or whatever) does a great kids deal between 5 and 6. I think. Best to ring them to confirm.

On 5 Jun 2011 at 11:58pm Body Beautiful wrote:
pasta. along with rice, spuds, beans and all the other carb cr@b should be limited if not avoided. In fact never eat that sh1T.

On 6 Jun 2011 at 8:48am 'ere be monsters wrote:
Shame a foul mouth should spoil such a Body Beautiful.
On 6 Jun 2011 at 10:50am Ed Can Do wrote:
If you never fed your kids any carbohydrates they'd be pretty sickly too. Carbohydrates are an essential form of energy for people, providing slow burning, long-term enrgy. Eating a solely protein diet is fine if you're trying to build muscle as that's what protein is for, reparing and building muscle tissue. Using it for energy however releases ketones, amino acids that are actually toxic to humans and the reason diabetics who don't get enough insulin (Thereby rendering them unable to use carbs for energy, forcing their body to burn fat and protein) pass out and die.

The trick to staying in shape is eating a balanced diet and burning all the calories you take in and it's really as simple as that. Fad diets such as cutting out carbs are short term fixes at best and more often than not lead to long-term health risks and suggesting imposing them on your kids is frankly irresponsible at best.

As for Frankie and Benny's, having spent a month living in a retail park in Ashford on an audit once where the only non-burger joint for miles around was an F&B's, I now couldn't bring myself to darken their door again but I imagine that if you have young kids then they're pretty perfect.

On 7 Jun 2011 at 8:49am Ordinary Lewes resident wrote:
"I think Lewes avoiding such plagues is a real credit to the town" - a common misconception Lambo, that the whole of Lewes rose up as one and screamed "MacDonalds? NO!". As usual, a small very vocal and 'socially aware' minority spoke on our behalf as they feel that they know what's best for the other 95%.
I personally don't like MacDonalds and it's ilk but there's plenty of people and families in Lewes that do. If you don't agree with having fast food chains in Lewes because of concerns about healthy eating, globalisation, litter, loss of small businesses or because they don't accept the Lewes Pound then by all means try and sway public opinion through education and debate - just don't force your ideals on us!
...and just to get back on thread, with two teenage sons Frankie & Benny's is a popular destination for us too - food is always good although can be a little pricey

On 7 Jun 2011 at 9:52am Deelite wrote:
And neither did the whole of Lewes scream as one "Yes, we must have a McDonalds". In fact there was not even a vocal 5% saying, "We need a McDonalds". You have to assume that most did not want a McDonalds or did not care enough to make any noise. A credit to Lewes. It's much better off without the ugly, dishonourable corporation. the associated employment conditions and low, low wages, the spotty no-hope unconcerned staff, the ugly, tacky shop fronts, the litter, the unhealthy product and associated obese, weight-on-the-state customers.
On 7 Jun 2011 at 11:39am Paul Newman wrote:
I agree with Resident ordinaire. Lewes is full of families on a budget but you sometimes fell as if you have wandered mistakenly into a theme park catering for a rentier class dessicated parochial snobs .
Swap one or two shops selling coloured string for a Macky D or better still a Kentucky( the fast food of the gods ).

On 7 Jun 2011 at 6:49pm Lambo wrote:
A lack of Macdonalds and all the other American chains has helped to keep Lewes from becoming like many other market towns which have been in decline for the past 20 years. Streets full of discarded packaging, kids hanging around outside and the smell of used fat. Lewes still has some self respect and remains a good place to live without all that rubbish. And as for KFC; wasn't there something awful they used in their cooking oil?
I've nothing against 'fast food' or burgers; there used to be a decent family run burger bar in Fisher Street and the kebab shop cooked fresh chicken shish kebabs on the grill which were good.
I'd rather have those and shops selling string, than a string of Chicken Georges all over town!

On 7 Jun 2011 at 10:31pm Name-less snipe merchant wrote:
Newman wrote: "sometimes fell as if you have wandered mistakenly into a theme park catering for a rentier class dessicated parochial snobs".

Give me Lewes over the homogenous, grey uniformity of the majority of UK towns any day (wanna live in Uckfield?).

Southwalk for you maybe? I do not want it here. Value what you have now or Paul, go back to London and enjoy your littered fast food and disfunctional families.

I'm interested to know just why you moved here from London.

On 8 Jun 2011 at 6:38am Paul Newman wrote:
Name-less snipe merchant you are not interested in why we moved from London but let me put it this way. When some friends visited they said.."This is nice place it has character but it hasn`t died".
Both parts of that equation are important ie looking pretty is sweet but people have to live real lives in it. Besides; I live on the Neville , I dare-say its architectural splendours are pretty ubiquitous but we like it .

On 8 Jun 2011 at 7:04am Ordinary Lewes resident wrote:
Deelite, you‚??ve proved my point exactly. I personally dislike McDonalds, but locally-sourced hand-reared organic lentils, ethical string, artisan bread etc are only ever going to cater to the minority. Back in the real world 'ordinary' people want 'ordinary' things without 'parochial snobs' dictating what they can and can‚??t have based on how ‚??honourable‚?? the company is, how ‚??tacky‚?? their shopfront is and how much it pays it‚??s staff (and indeed how spotty they are) or if it‚??s appropriate for a ‚??transition town‚??. No, the majority of ‚??ordinary‚?? Lewesians don‚??t stand up to ask for a McDonalds/Marks & Spencer/whatever, because they just quietly get on with their lives and their jobs without resorting to petitions, letters to the Sussex Express, protest marches or focus groups ‚?? and as a result the righteous/right-on few proudly claim that they‚??re speaking for the town. There‚??s always some self-appointed spokesperson claiming in the local rag that ‚??Lewes doesn‚??t want‚?¶‚?Ě something or other ‚?? well, perhaps sometimes it does!

On 8 Jun 2011 at 8:48am Grrr wrote:
Ordinary Lewes resident - I don't agree that that's a fair argument - are you saying that people who feel strongly about something shouldn't try to get stuff done in case they offend or upset the silent majority? That's crazy - no one would do anything if you followed that line of thinking.
People have a right to try to stop things they don't agree with or encourage things they do agree with - it's simply not fair to moan about something after the event if you can't be bothered to show support for it at the time.

On 8 Jun 2011 at 11:29am Paul Newman wrote:
Perhaps many people are too busy Grrr. It is not unknown for a vocal minority with time on its hands to pretend they stand for everyone .
I think there is a reasonable balance to be struck between a liveable town and losing the qualities people like.Where I agree with resident ordinaire is that there is a clammy assumption of superiority amongst a certain section without which I could do.

On 8 Jun 2011 at 1:24pm Grrr wrote:
I find that laughable given your incessant need to shove holier-than-thou political rhetoric down people's throats.
Not so long ago you were suggesting that the public at large were too stupid to understand and utilise AV properly, but members of the Tory party (with all their lovely brains) could handle it well enough.
If that's not "a clammy assumption of superioty amongst a certain section" I don't know what is.
People might be too busy, but if they've got time to write on this forum then they've probably got time to write a brief email of support to the Council for a McDonalds (if they're that bothered).

On 8 Jun 2011 at 1:27pm Krusty wrote:
Deelite, it may be true that there was not even 5% yelling 'Yes, we need a McDonalds', but I was not aware that there was an opportunity to express such an opinion. Equally, I have not heard anyone yelling that they don't want the castle to be demolished and a windmill built there instead, but this doesn't mean we all want it to happen. There are many things that I would like to see in the town, a cinema for instance, but I don't go around yelling about it.

If an opportunity arose, perhaps if plans were released for a new McD, or there was a survey of residents views for instance, then I am sure that many people would express an opinion on such things. As far as I know, nothing like this has happened.

On 8 Jun 2011 at 6:15pm Paul Newman wrote:
Go to your happy place Grrr, you`ll give yourself an aneurysm with that hot temper of yours.On the contrary I am agog with admiration at the great good sense of the general Public who, as you will recall, kicked AV into touch so far it aint never coming back.Clever lot they are
(On this occasion I `d say I was being prolier than thou if anything )

On 8 Jun 2011 at 7:43pm Ordinary Lewes resident wrote:
Krusty, McD/no-McD isn't the issue, I was just using it as an example of the typical knee-jerk reaction of the vocal Lewes 'right on' brigade (I personally don't want one, but that's just my opinion). The Marks & Spencer proposed for the bus station site a while ago is probably a better example - my work brings me into contact with a lot of (older) Lewes residents and many of them loved the idea; predictably the Sussex Express contained outraged letters from the usual suspects. Grrr ‚?? I wasn‚??t saying that people shouldn‚??t express an opinion or try to get things done; express your own opinions by all means but cut the holier than thou ‚??we know best‚?? bullsh!t and don't pretend that you speak for us all...

On 8 Jun 2011 at 7:51pm Deelite wrote:
Ordinary Lewes Resident.
"locally-sourced hand-reared organic lentils, ethical string, artisan bread" is not the opposite of having a McDonalds.
Hopefully it is possible to have a town centre that appeals to the majority of Lewes residents without it becoming just like every other dull town centre.

On 8 Jun 2011 at 10:13pm Mrs Twine wrote:
Readers may like to know that Marks and Spencers may be about to consider stocking my exquisite range of hand-reared, user-friendly organic lentils, encased in tastefully crocheted hand-spun tofu baskets, which can be served with either sweet or savoury dressings. Watch out for them!

On 9 Jun 2011 at 8:25am Grrr wrote:
PN - that doesn't change that fact that you called the general public a bunch of idiots before the actual vote was decided.
You're self-obsessed and self-interested - don't claim to have anyone's but your own best interests at heart with anything that you write. You're happy to invoke the power of the people when it suits your cause, and equally happy to claim they're incapable of making a decision if they're likely to disagree with you. You can't have it both ways.
Now get on with some work and stop bothering this forum (note it's a forum and not YOUR blog) with your tiresome self-righteousness.
Oh and your witticisms are far from witty. Far far far from witty.

On 9 Jun 2011 at 8:55am Deelite wrote:
Coo! Tell it like it is why don't you?

On 9 Jun 2011 at 11:27am supporter wrote:
that has got to the best post this year Thanks Grr.

On 9 Jun 2011 at 2:15pm Krusty wrote:
I agree with you completely Ordinary Lewes Resident, however my previous post was directed at Deelite. I was just wondering exactly when it was that all the people in Lewes that wanted a McD would have had the opportunity to scream in unison "Yes, we must have a McDonalds". I, for one, did not realise that it was on the cards, or indeed that a referendum had been held on the opening of such an establishment.
A few like minded people getting together and proclaiming there views, does not automatically mean that the rest of the population is in agreement with them just because they have not stated an opposing view.

On 9 Jun 2011 at 8:14pm Deelite wrote:
If the anti people made a fuss then it must have been publicised so that would have been the time for the pros to make a fuss.

On 9 Jun 2011 at 9:56pm TeeHee wrote:
But none of the fat bastards could be bothered to drag themselves up from the sofa and Sky tv....

On 10 Jun 2011 at 12:40pm Krusty wrote:
Don't get me wrong Deelite, I am an anti too, but I never knew there was any kind of public vote on the matter. I therefore never had the chance to voice my opinion, and all I am saying is that it is highly likely to be the case for most of the population of the town. It does not mean that no-one would have wanted it, and certainly is no basis for 5% of the population to assume they know what is best for the remaining 95%.
Out of interest, when was this 'referendum', and in what way was it publicised? Or was it just a handful of people independently making a statement that they didn't want any fast food outlets in the town.
I do not want a McDonalds in the town, but I would rather have that than be in a situation where a small minority can gang up and tell the rest of the town how to live their lives.

On 11 Jun 2011 at 9:42am Ordinary Lewes resident wrote:
"I do not want a McDonalds in the town, but I would rather have that than be in a situation where a small minority can gang up and tell the rest of the town how to live their lives."
Thank you Krusty; I've been struggling to explain myself throughout this thread - but you've summarised my thoughts on the matter in one sentence.

7 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Mount Caburn 92:132
Mount Caburn

To be fair, I think Dominic Cummings staying put is actually doing the Labour party a favour. He's manipulated people to become... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams