Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

No closure for Late Night Shopping

On 23 Nov 2017 at 7:44pm David wrote:
So they cannot close the roads because it is too expensive. Surely that will just kill off the evening, the attraction is strolling around between shops you might not usually visit and meeting people while giving a boost to the local economy. Why is it suddenly too expensive this year? Why can't the Chamber of Commerce just get volunteers to man the usual road closure barriers once the council has authorised it. Difficulty to imagine it working if you have to constantly look out for cars and keep the children close and controlled.
On 23 Nov 2017 at 7:50pm @David wrote:
Totally agree, but you can not say," to man the usual road closure", the left gender PC people will call you sexist, and worse.
On 23 Nov 2017 at 8:03pm Sensible wrote:
Nobody cares. We bought an Amazon Prime subscription and also use other concierge services, like most people we know.
On 23 Nov 2017 at 8:04pm May wrote:
Maybe the Lewes Chamber of Commerce should stop having expensive lunches in chain outlets like Cote and concentrate its resources instead on supporting Lewes Independents who rely on events like late night closing. This is beyond ridiculous.
On 23 Nov 2017 at 9:15pm Bert wrote:
I thought the late night shopping fiasco was always a waste of time, thank God the Chamber have come to their senses. Just lots of pissed people being needy in shops ! Anyway that's what I found.
On 23 Nov 2017 at 10:11pm David wrote:
Valid point about more and more shopping being on the internet but that works best when you know what you want. What strolling round the town for a couple of hours does is let you see things you would never have thought of - ideal for gifts. I have always thought the shops should give an across the board discount on the night so people actually buy things rather than think about it and maybe come back on Saturday. We all love a bargain.
On 23 Nov 2017 at 10:28pm Focke-Wulf wrote:
The late night road closure has always been supported by bonfire boys (manning the road closures). Perhaps the president and secretary have put people off volunteering their services?
On 23 Nov 2017 at 11:23pm Jonh wrote:
Or know one as contact them.
On 24 Nov 2017 at 8:18am Grump wrote:
What is the point of late night shopping these days. Was fun back in the 80s, but now it's irrelevant. Times change.
On 24 Nov 2017 at 10:17pm may wrote:
Just, maybe, road closures might put off out of towners who I suspect are the punters most likely to patronise the chains cloning this town. Without them how could all those 'covers' continue to exist in all those eateries? Road closures benefit small independent businesses, not slick, cold, hedge funded anonymous chains who have no real need for punters to amble from one establishment to another.
(Whilst on the subject how people still continue to patronise Boots continually amazes me!)
On 24 Nov 2017 at 10:31pm Actually wrote:
@may Hmmmm...out of towners would surely go to Brighton if they want the big stores. Or (heaven help them) Bluewater. Lewes certainly isn't where I'd go if I was looking for anonymous chains for my Christmas shopping. It's far more likely people come for the adorable cute little independent shops selling quaint quirky local English products that have a story to them.

26 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Railway Land Bridge 100:132
Railway Land Bridge

The repeated attempts to dismiss the covid-19 pandemic as just another flu outbreak ignores a key difference. Flu victims feel... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde