Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

New name for the snow

On 28 Feb 2018 at 5:58pm Billy Bull wrote:
It's been called the Beast from the East, a weather bomb, Snowmageddon...but a lot of people don't have such a negative Daily Mail mindset. Anyone got a different name for the weather at the moment?
On 28 Feb 2018 at 6:00pm Frosty wrote:
Awesome for kids
On 28 Feb 2018 at 6:07pm Errrr wrote:
Winter?
On 28 Feb 2018 at 6:40pm Bob wrote:
The reaction to 4 inches of snow by a large number of people makes me cringe. Seriously, it is a mere dusting yet it is being given as a signal not to go to work. What an example to set the kids. Never has the term "Snowflake" been more apt
On 28 Feb 2018 at 6:40pm Hyena wrote:
All this slagging of the Daily Mail , it's so lazy.
On 28 Feb 2018 at 7:17pm @hyena wrote:
I thought better of you. Any slagging off of the Mail and its readers is fair game.
On 28 Feb 2018 at 7:22pm Hyena wrote:
Who are DM readers? Who are Guardian readers? Who are Mirror readers? Who are FT readers ? You get the drift. Enlighten me.
On 28 Feb 2018 at 7:42pm Slacker wrote:
@Bob, why are you so against people skiving off? Are you worried the bosses will lose money? All hail the snow.
On 28 Feb 2018 at 7:59pm Little John wrote:
At last my wife is excited that she’s getting 4”
On 28 Feb 2018 at 8:30pm Bob wrote:
I'll tell you why Slacker. I am 58 years old. I remember when people had grit, resolve and pride. There was no question of not trying to get to work. Schools remained open - I remember that when the bus didn't run, we walked. 3 miles to infants school. It never hurt anyone. It was all good character forming stuff. Is it no wonder that we are now a "want something for nothing" society. Where do we go next?
On 1 Mar 2018 at 6:57am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Easy to say Bob, until you've had a disabling injury as a result of a fall on a snowy pavement. And when we had snow in 2010 (or was 2011?), couldn't get a car up the hill on the Nevill for 5 days.
Well, not unless you had snow tyres or a 4x4.
On 1 Mar 2018 at 7:23am Hypocrite wrote:
^^^ says the woman who was moaning about schools shutting because of only a couple of inches!!!??
On 1 Mar 2018 at 7:29am Slacker wrote:
But @Bob, don't kids get better exercise by going out sledging than walking a short distance to school? On snow days as a kid I wouldn't dream of staying inside. I went out and got lots of 'character building' exercise having a laugh in the snow. That's surely a good change to have now and then from the usual daily ten minute walk followed by mostly pointless lessons, no?
On 1 Mar 2018 at 8:05am Bob wrote:
I have lived my life on the basis of "work hard, play hard" and found that more I put in, the more I get out. I can't help thinking that modern day "Snowflakes" take the completely opposite view.
Having said, huge huge gratitude to the bin-men who have just come down my icy lane on this bitterly cold morning and removed my rubbish bang on time....maybe there is hope.

On 1 Mar 2018 at 11:20am Peppa wrote:
Just out of curiousity Bob, what was average life expectancy when you were but a young rasher and what is it now you're a fully fledged gammon?
On 1 Mar 2018 at 1:34pm Bob wrote:
No idea, but my Dad lived till he was 98 and my Mum 91.

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Spires 80:132
Lewes Spires

Yeah, I somehow imagine that the pandemic has not been much of a great "leveler" for those poorest in our society. :( more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.
George Washington