Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

New curry houses

On 30 Oct 2007 at 5:57pm FA wrote:
Hi all....has anyone given both the new Indian restaurants a good go yet. FA and his entourage will be hitting the John Harveys on saturday night and fancy trying one of the new places for a meal afterwards.
Any suggestions.
Thanks

On 30 Oct 2007 at 6:32pm The Tooth Fairy wrote:
You be careful in the JHT FA, big ruck outside there last Friday. Though as you have to be 'held back from punching' a knuckle dragger, you should be ok.

On 30 Oct 2007 at 6:53pm FA wrote:
Oh do f**k off tooth fairy. I asked a simple, polite question....now go and do one will you.

On 30 Oct 2007 at 7:05pm For The Record wrote:
Wouldn't EFES be more up your street?
(sorry, couldn't resist)

On 30 Oct 2007 at 7:11pm FA wrote:
Why...i want to go for a curry.!!! Never been to Eefes, never will....why would it be "up my street"

On 30 Oct 2007 at 7:14pm For The Record wrote:
Thought you would enjoy it more knuckle draggers frequent that establishment!

On 30 Oct 2007 at 7:16pm zola wrote:
I'm lost....What or where is EFES ??

On 30 Oct 2007 at 7:47pm Lauren wrote:
Hi FA, had some friends that ate in the one outside waitrose and they said the food was excellent. They said to book table before hand and try and get seating upstairs as you wont feel like a fish in a bowl down stairs. enjoy your night out.

On 30 Oct 2007 at 8:06pm Lewesianne wrote:
Spice Merchant is also very good. The take-away portions are very small though but my friend said she had heaps when she sat in.

On 30 Oct 2007 at 8:10pm lauren wrote:
Efes is on school hill, half way up on the right. Does pizza, kebab's, chicken, burgers and desserts, my kids love it so it/s once a month treat from boring homemade food as they say.

On 30 Oct 2007 at 10:26pm Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
Excellent, a thread about restaurants, my favourite topic. FA, they are both good. Chaula's is cheaper and more authentic, restaurant has no frills, and even her mild curries are quite spicy. Spice Merchant is dearer and posher, food is good though.

On 30 Oct 2007 at 10:51pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
An Indian friend of mine swears by Chaula's for the most authentic indian food. From what I've sampled from Chaula's (and my friends mothers) I would have to agree.
However, I have not tried the Spice Merchant.

On 31 Oct 2007 at 9:06am The Super K wrote:
I Personally don't like chaula's (although I admit I haven't eaten at the new resturant, just a takeaway from the shop).
The Spice Merchants however is fantastic. Both Take away and eating in. Very friendly staff. If you eat in ask about specials that don't appear on the menu. they serve them in their other resturants. one is a Balti dal masheque. Can't remember the other one.
The Balti dal masheque is like a massala but hotter (spicy) and has spinach.
I will make a note of trying Chaula's again after reading teh above reviews.
ZOLA... Efee's is the kabab shop on school hill. (V nice food there as well (when your drunk!))

On 31 Oct 2007 at 9:10am Geoff wrote:
My favourite curry restaurant is in Reigate. Forget what the place is called {thats helpful, I know}. its called an Howelli meal, mild curry. Not sure of the Howelli spelling either. Not good eh. Nice and creamy though.

On 3 Nov 2007 at 2:23pm Maddy wrote:
I had a take away from Chaula's and thought it was good but small portions - and I don't really have a massive appetite. Bloke thought portions were miniscule ... and then they charged his card twice (although they were admittedly v helpful when he took his statement in to show them)
Where's Spice Merchant? Is it on the hill between the Needlemakers and the police station - is that the one? Had a really good meal and anjoyable night there .. left drunk as a skunk too.

On 3 Nov 2007 at 8:30pm Smiler wrote:
I had a takeaway from 'a restaurant' tonight and I thought it was fantastic although I missed the free bottle of wine that you get from Spice Merchant so I will go there next time co the fodds fab theer too.

On 4 Nov 2007 at 10:10pm Collette and Peter wrote:
I went for the buffet lunch with my wife and our daughter who is just two. This seems like a great value meal at just 3.99 a head. We noticed the signs saying that tap water could not be ordered with the buffet lunch which seems fair enough given the bargain price - and in any case we both wanted an Indian beer to go with our curries and ordered two Tigers. During the lunch our daughter said she was thirsty and we asked for a small glass of water for her - only to be told that we had to buy bottled water. We spoke to the owner and explained that we'd already bought beer and that the water was for a small child. We were treated completely unsympathetically and told that customers regularly try to "smuggle" in their own water or come up with specific reasons why they should be except from the no tap water rule. Apparently a previous customer had even asked for extra water because of a kidney problem but this was also refused.
It's not that we're too mean to buy a bottle of water for a thirsty child but there is a principle at stake here. If the bargain basement price of the buffet lunch squeezes profit margins so much, surely it would be better to raise the price and be able to offer customers some flexibility, better service and politeness. Lewes is a small place, people talk and reputations matter. We've recounted our experience to friends and all (especially those with children) consider what happened unacceptable ? many like ourselves will not be going back. The food maybe very tasty and the prices very reasonable but service and customer care matter just as much (if not more) and in this respect Chaula's is very poor.

On 7 Nov 2007 at 10:02pm Cliffebimbo wrote:
I work with an Indian lady and she buys things to take home from Chaula's. I think that is a good recommendation.

On 10 Nov 2007 at 10:33pm Double Yellow Line wrote:
Quote "We noticed the signs saying that tap water could not be ordered with the buffet lunch which seems fair enough"
You then proceed into a rant about how you didn't get any tap water.
I don't expect you to get the irony.

On 19 Nov 2007 at 3:11pm Collette and Peter wrote:
It was fair enough and so with OUR buffet lunch we ordered some beers. Our 2-year-old didn't have the buffet lunch so we weren't ordering tap water WITH the buffet lunch for her. I don't expect you to get the subtleties...

On 28 Dec 2007 at 5:24pm Monty wrote:
I totally agree with Double Yellow Line. No tap water means no tap water, it doesnt mean no tap water except for thirsty children or people with kidney problems and it doesnt mean no tap water until you've paid for a bottle of tiger. You are eating out on very good food for 3.99 so put your hand in your pocket and buy your offspring a drink for gods sake. How tight can you get! Alternatively get a take away and drink all the tap water you want.

On 18 Apr 2008 at 3:37pm muncher wrote:
i had a fantastic meal at 'a restaurant' service was fantasic food glorious atmosphere lovely. and i noticed on there new take away menu you get a free bottle of wine or cobra, nothing is to much bother for 'a restaurant' try it you'll be amazed would recommend you book gets busy also they have a hungry hour most dishes half price excellent as for tap water you get it free

On 12 May 2008 at 12:16pm Warrior Princess wrote:
I've just found this website and i'm SHOCKED at the negative comments about Chaula's... Spice Merchant is a different restaurant altogether. Chaula has tried very hard to break away from the typical 'i'm an indian restaurant'... it's light and airy with good service and delicious food! Obviously you haven't been recently, as I'm sure you would all be taking-back your comments. As for Colette and Peter - if you don't want to eat at Chaula's again from 1 bad experience then fine, but why do you have to splash it around everywhere?- Let people make their own decisions.

14 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Dripping Pan View 34:132
Dripping Pan View

I'm not completely sure of the relevance of this information tom. The study of the money supply is of interest to some but as... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde