Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

New Year Resolution

On 31 Dec 2017 at 11:36am India wrote:
Here's mine:
From now on, if I don't want to do something then I'm not going to do it.
If I feel unwell or even slightly rundown, I'm not going to force myself in to work for fear of letting down colleagues and clients, I'm just going to phone in sick and take time off.
If I've made plans to meet friends but then when it comes to the date I don't actually feel like meeting, for whatever reason (usually pressures of time and having too much to do) then I'm not going to make myself meet up because I've arranged it, I'm going to cancel.
If I've been invited to lunch or dinner or drinks, and it's been pre-arranged and in the diary for a month, but then on the day I don't want to go, then I won't. I will phone or text friends/family and cancel.
If I tell my husband I'm going to do something (I.e. his ironing) but then when it comes to it I have so much else to do that I haven't got time to do what I said I would, I'm not going to stay up till midnight doing it. I just won't do it.
I've got too much on my plate every day, and my NY resolution is to start stripping away obligations and expectations of others, and start simplifying my life more so that I have a little more opportunity to start looking after my own self. Even if it is at the risk of upsetting others.
Makes me feel happy just thinking about turning 2018 in to an utterly self-focussed year.
On 31 Dec 2017 at 11:43am Feline wrote:
A New Year resolution I expect many women empathise with!!! I read a revealing article in a newspaper the other day about why women are more miserable then men until they are in their eighties. It comes down to all the familial responsibility they have. The author, a man, said they need to do what men do and prioritise enjoying themselves. Yeah, right. That would be an interesting one! Discuss!
On 31 Dec 2017 at 11:44am New page wrote:
Excellent points. I too am aiming for a simpler life in 2018. I am retreating from people and things that bring me down. I will be avoiding this Forum for one thing!!
2018 may have things happen that are beyond my control. But I am taking charge of my life from now on.
PS. Your husband should be ironing his own shirts!
On 31 Dec 2017 at 12:59pm Man wrote:
I think letting down friends at the last minute when you have previously agreed to it and they may have planned for it and be looking forward to doing it with you because you no longer feel like it is unreasonably selfish. Consider more carefully before making a commitment might be a better resolution.
On 31 Dec 2017 at 1:40pm India wrote:
@Man
But when I've friends constantly saying "let's get a date in the diary" and booking me in for lunch or dinner 4 - 6 weeks in advance, then how do I know whether or not I'm going to actually feel like attending on the day? Sometimes I do. Sometimes I don't. So my point is, if I don't, I won't!
My friends constant social demands ("lets do lunch! Lets do dinner! Lets meet for a drink!" multiplied by about 15 different friends) adds yet another layer of pressure on my already busy life. So, from now on, I'll go if I want to, but I won't go if I don't.
On 31 Dec 2017 at 1:46pm Np wrote:
Stick to your guns India! Best of luck.x
On 31 Dec 2017 at 3:59pm Man wrote:
Personally I set a lot of store by not letting friends down and not being let down myself so it could be you will achieve your objective and have fewer but more committed friends by the end of next year India. Have a good new year anyway. I think the thing about ignoring this column new page, to prevent it bringing you down is a fair one. I shall continue to read it but pay even less attention to the trolls. I really don't think there are many of them and they are to be pitied rather than taken seriously.
On 31 Dec 2017 at 6:20pm Feline wrote:
I think it's about realising that time is the most precious resource and not wasting it on constantly trying to keep everyone else happy, unless you have very small children of course. Then it's part of the job description until they get a bit older and need to start to be disappointed.
On 31 Dec 2017 at 11:02pm New beginnings wrote:
Good luck to all downtrodden in Lewes. And two fingers to Pedro. You sir are a tedious turd and I hope you regret your laissez faire attitude to drug taking. Goodbye Lewes Forum.
On 2 Jan 2018 at 11:10am Blatant Liar wrote:
So the summary is:
1. Let down your colleagues more
2. Let down your friends more
3. Let down your family more
4. Do less house work
Did I miss anything?
On 2 Jan 2018 at 1:15pm Pedro wrote:
@ new beginnings - happy new year to you! I'm actually re-stocking up on "da 'erb" tonight after a pleasurable, yet hangover-free new years eve No regrets, just less neck and back pains due to my "laissez faire attitude to drug taking"....unless you count forum trolls such as yourself as a pain in the neck for hounding/dictating to me about what I choose to do with my own body. A huge pity you choose to leave the forum....but I think we all know you will be back

On 2 Jan 2018 at 9:06pm Pakistan wrote:
India- I hope you are not one of my friends or my colleagues.

25 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Sheep 79:132
Lewes Sheep

I doubt Davros as his Daleks would go to Davos, despite the obvious similarity in name. Its way too mountainous for the Daleks,... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Believe you can or believe you can't... Either way you're right
Paul