Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

New Lewes Words

On 9 Aug 2008 at 9:07am Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
DFL has been quickly accepted into the everyday language in this town. Are there any other words or phrases that are strictly Lewesian, or are there any that you would like to introduce?
I would like to introduce "Style Victim" to describe persons affected by the ambitious erections made by a certain property developer.

On 9 Aug 2008 at 9:37am FA wrote:
"Antique shop" as Lewes seems to have them all
"Hairdressers" as Lewes has more hardressers than people have hair
Are you a "Bill" ?.....refers to someone who has more money than they know what to do with it and can afford to spend 8 on a jacket spud.
"snob" is a mainly Lewes word...you know, those who constantly look down their snotters at people over their grauniad paper and say "ew, you live in Landport ?"

On 9 Aug 2008 at 11:08am Joogle wrote:
"inverted snob" those who have lived in Lewes all their lives and think that a wall should be built around it to keep every one else out and make judgements about people before getting to know them.

On 9 Aug 2008 at 11:48am Ben wrote:
Acronimby - person fond of using lazy, narrow-minded acronyms.

On 9 Aug 2008 at 12:12pm Doink the clown wrote:
ABSOLUTE HONKER!! - Someone with no sense of humour and thinks Im barking mad! woof woof!

On 9 Aug 2008 at 1:04pm ECSS wrote:
LDC - a group of incompetent twerps who live in developers' pockets.

On 9 Aug 2008 at 1:14pm geoff wrote:
Frost-y: The reception you get from Lewes Planning Departmetn when you regretfully have to point out the latest 'mistake ' they have made
Cafe de Vecchi:- A coffee sold all over town, that claims to be a dynamic authentic hot drink made from ethical beans, but is actiually a bland froth of skimmed milk and questionable brown powder that collapses into a disappointingly tepid slop with no flavour.
Flood Plain; A building site
Coppice; A building site.
Inaccesible scrap of land not suitable for development; A building site.
Listed Building; Potential Building Site
Enblandishment: to buy something everyday in France, like string, and resell it as 'organic provencale twine'
Dumby (Do utilise my back 'yard') : someone who is critical of people who are concerned about overdevelopment, and is therefore happy to encourage massive developements that impact on their own immediate environment.

On 9 Aug 2008 at 1:16pm geoff wrote:
Frost-y: The reception you get from Lewes Planning Departmetn when you regretfully have to point out the latest 'mistake ' they have made
Cafe de Vecchi:- A coffee sold all over town, that claims to be a dynamic authentic hot drink made from ethical beans, but is actiually a bland froth of skimmed milk and questionable brown powder that collapses into a disappointingly tepid slop with no flavour.
Flood Plain; A building site
Coppice; A building site.
Inaccesible scrap of land not suitable for development; A building site.
Listed Building; Potential Building Site
Enblandishment: to buy something everyday in France, like string, and resell it as 'organic provencale twine'
Dumby (Do utilise my back 'yard') : someone who is critical of people who are concerned about overdevelopment, and is therefore happy to encourage massive developements that impact on their own immediate environment.

On 9 Aug 2008 at 2:41pm zola wrote:
Dumby....Ha ! ! !
Brilliant.

On 9 Aug 2008 at 2:42pm zola wrote:
That whole post is so funny.....

On 9 Aug 2008 at 7:34pm Curry Lover wrote:
I work for LDC and am definitely not incompetent.

On 10 Aug 2008 at 2:41pm ECSS wrote:
Currey Lover - I said incompetent, not incontinent. You must be the only one.

On 10 Aug 2008 at 5:44pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Geoff - your contributions are very funny - thanks.
I like Chris' contribution (in another post) where he calls people who utilise the greengrocers in Cliffe High Street as "Billerati" (very clever).

On 10 Aug 2008 at 6:56pm zola wrote:
Ha ! ! ! Billerati...Priceless.....

On 11 Aug 2008 at 2:01am Sashka wrote:
I don't think all LDC employees are incompetent. In fact there are some wonderful employees, including the poor people in the planning department at the public desk who have to deal with all the people furious at the incompetence of their more 'senior' colleagues.

On 11 Aug 2008 at 4:47pm geoff wrote:
You are too kind.
I am now using the genius 'acronimby' so thanks to Ben.
"Charcoal Gorillas'' A growing species of dangerous nocturnal beasts that moves in packs feasting on red bull and kebabs.

On 11 Aug 2008 at 7:26pm Turnip wrote:
Apologies for not knowing, but what does DFL mean?

On 11 Aug 2008 at 8:41pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
DFL = Down From London (look at previous threads a couple of pages back)

On 12 Aug 2008 at 12:29pm Frak wrote:
"Acronimby - person fond of using lazy, narrow-minded acronyms."
Genius!

On 19 Aug 2008 at 8:49pm neil wrote:
damn......i think 'joogle' may have just described me : (

On 22 Aug 2008 at 1:49pm Frak wrote:
How about a 'royston' - someone who isn't keen on people who are 'not local' like the inhabitants of royston vasey.

16 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes religion 77:132
Lewes religion

Same outside Trading post in Cliffe high street, all sitting around outside where the tables usually are and blocking the... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like The Grange Gardens, and the way the teashop has the most odd mixture of china from the charity shops
Jojo