Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

New Gagging Law

On 9 Sep 2013 at 4:23pm H.P. wrote:
You might have heard about the “gagging law” currently being voted on by MPs. If you haven’t heard of it, it’s really bad news. If it goes through, it will have a chilling effect on British democracy and on our right to speak up on the issues that matter to us.
Basically, the law slashes the spending limits on campaigning for the year before any election. Campaigns that have impact don’t cost the earth, but they aren’t free.
Community groups, charities and campaigning organisations would all be hit. Election time is when ordinary people have the most influence on our politicians. On the big issues of the day – whether or not to go to war, the future of our NHS, the environment, welfare, immigration, etc. – we'd all be gagged.
The problem is that this law has come out of nowhere and not many people have heard what’s going on. If we’re going to defeat it, we need to get the word out further. If every single person who’s ever joined a local campaign group or taken action with their favourite charity knew that they could be stopped from doing that again, the outcry could explode.
Here’s a simple five minute video you can watch for more information. Can you take a look, and then help get the word out by passing it on to your friends and family.

Watch the video »
On 9 Sep 2013 at 4:46pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Why should there be any need for campaining? Any intelligent voter would have their mind made up long before the election.
I know which party I will vote for; and no amount of postering or television performances will influence me.
On 9 Sep 2013 at 6:52pm supporter wrote:
really hope this law gets passed,and well said Jim.
On 9 Sep 2013 at 11:11pm True Blue wrote:
It just goes to show how blinkered Sussex Jim really is!
His views are not views taken by the Tory Party!
On 10 Sep 2013 at 3:41am We do not forget wrote:
That's such a telling comment from Sussex Jim. Once a Tory, always a Tory, always a small, closed mind.

On 10 Sep 2013 at 6:42pm Gag Off wrote:
This new bill won`t stop the frackers.

Check it out here »
On 10 Sep 2013 at 8:15pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Who thinks I am going to vote Tory? They have done me no favours recently. I have been voting for over 40 years, and we still seem to be in a mess. I am open to offers on the voting front.

On 10 Sep 2013 at 8:22pm Zebedee wrote:
Seems to contradict your last post but judging by your posts thus far it's UKIP for you.
On 10 Sep 2013 at 9:21pm Voice of Reason wrote:
The usual muddled thinking of the paedophile generation. Definitely a shoe-in vote for the swivel eyed loons.

On 13 Sep 2013 at 8:04pm Englishman wrote:
Voice, you imply that those of later years are all paedophiles. I find your post offensive; and suggest you retract your comment.

On 16 Sep 2013 at 5:22am voice of reason wrote:
I'm not saying all old people are paedophiles, but they're the ones you have to watch.
Sussex Jim likes to post racists jokes illegally, and you know what they say - scratch a racist and underneath you'll find a paedophile.

26 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes busker 60:132
Lewes busker

New highly rated management. 2 very good new players signed already and plenty more to come. This season could be very... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare