Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Nevill Fireworks Were Amazing !

On 24 Oct 2010 at 9:20am Newmania wrote:
Fantastic night up here on the Nevill last night. I was amazed how many people, we have got to know over the last few years .Lots of my son`s friends from Wallands running about and a great vibe to the whole thing . Next year we will actually organise a bit better ...sad lack of nibbles chez moi.
The fireworks were astonishing ...(.as was the indifference to chilly conditions shown by numerous Lewes lovelies out on the prowl.Blimey !)
I think what I like best is the sight of the torches going on forever it almsot looks like something alive .
Well Done and thanks to all those who put the work in

On 24 Oct 2010 at 2:33pm l.v wrote:
same old nevil night waiting for the fireworks

On 24 Oct 2010 at 2:38pm bubble wrote:
And well done the for clearing everything up, today you would never know what a great show we had last night, and the fireworks were the best ever, but a big thumbs down for whoever supplied some of those underage kids with booze last night, there must be some very hungover teens around today.

On 24 Oct 2010 at 5:48pm Jen wrote:
Agree with L.V, God knows what they are doing up there but we were standing around for a very long time. When I was younger the bonfire being lit was a sign that the fireworks were starting soon.
Went up on to the hill and stood there for god knows how long in the freezing cold waiting for the fireworks.
I personally felt the fireworks were quite poor, they seemed to go off in drips and drabs, but once they put a good set up in the air it was a reasonable good show.

On 24 Oct 2010 at 6:31pm Nevill Resident wrote:
Hey Jen, I'll put you down as 'not easily pleased'.
On 24 Oct 2010 at 9:57pm pandemonia wrote:
Really rather awesome fireworks. Well done to all those who worked so hard to put on such a good night.

On 24 Oct 2010 at 10:29pm moi wrote:
L.V. and JEN you have no idea, moaning trolls

On 24 Oct 2010 at 10:53pm pandemonia wrote:
It is "dribs", btw. "Drips" are the sort of people who wouldn't recognise a decent firework display even if they were fused into it.

On 24 Oct 2010 at 11:02pm queequeg wrote:
Great Night, but I had never noticed the fiery crosses before, this caused me a problem as I was approached by a black stranger who wanted to know what it was about. I tried to explain as briefly as possible about 1605 and all that and the proposed catholic revolution. He said " but why the burning crosses?" To which I responded "Don't worry it's nothing to do with the Ku Klux Klan." We parted with a handshake but I was immediately taken to task for my "Outrageous" remark by my party. Did I do so wrong? Is DJS correct?

On 24 Oct 2010 at 11:33pm Harold wrote:
OMG people always have to moan about something in this town,The time given for the fireworks was 9 O`clock (give or take) and thats exactly when they were(give or take) ,buy a program and then you will find out these things, I imagine the reason why they run late is because they are waiting for the crowds to enter the firesite, ( at a very reasonable price BTW),
As to the fireworks, they were all good apart from the `Guy` as If im not mistaken, the `mines` that destroy the effigy went off early, But still bloody good anyway.
Nice to see a better range of costumes this year as well, The neville is getting better year by year, Well done one and all .

On 24 Oct 2010 at 11:37pm Harold wrote:
I did laugh at the police asking a obviously older than 18 yr old man who was drinking (he was sober BTW) his age and proof of the same and he offering his eleven year old child as proof ..... Priceless

On 24 Oct 2010 at 11:57pm wolfspear wrote:
great show nevill to l.v and jen perhaps you ought to join then you could perhaps get involved and offer your expertise and i usually find it warmer by the bonfire

On 25 Oct 2010 at 5:22am droopy wrote:
queequeg- if your post was correct and not a wind up yout should be ashamed of saying what you did. Burning crosses and the klu klax klan? Get your facts right before you speak please.

On 25 Oct 2010 at 7:11am Newmania wrote:
How can you possibly complain I felt guilty that other people had put so much work in and all I did was turn up and enjoy it . It was absolutely fantastic .
As far as burning crosses are concerned if people, black or white, want to take offence let them .Its really not so complicated some people just love bitching and if its not that it will be something else.I like the crosses after all it is a Winter Fire Celebration and it should have something dangerous about it
Oh yes some of the costumes were terrific , I really love seeing faces I know in wierd and wonderful regalia .
Stop moaning it was brilliant

On 25 Oct 2010 at 10:01am Guy wrote:
Yes Harold, you are mistaken.

On 25 Oct 2010 at 12:01pm queequeg wrote:
Droopy,
It's no wind up, I am genuinely concerned, not by the burning crosses (you mistake me there) but by my comment being construed as outrageous, I am quite upset that it could be seen as possibly provocative or racist. The stranger in question seemed disconcerted by the burning crosses and I sought to ease the situation. If I had not alluded to KKK then I don't think I would have been addressing his real concern. As I said we parted on good terms with a handshake, it's just that the party I was with thought I had been outrageous and I was seeking other views on the matter.

On 25 Oct 2010 at 12:13pm pandemonia wrote:
I always think that the less said about the KKK so far as bonfire is concerned, the better. Unfortunately, some people from outside become quite fixated by the idea that burning crosses must be connected with white supremacy so it can be more helpful not to clutter their heads with such an erroneous concept.

On 25 Oct 2010 at 12:20pm teaboy wrote:
The best way to combat the 'burning crosses=KKK' is to ask the accuser why the KKK burn crosses. They don't know. I've tried to find out myself, and these isn't any information anywhere.
Our crosses burn for a reason - the KKK ones don't.

On 25 Oct 2010 at 12:26pm MC wrote:
But, in queequeg's defence I think what he did was the correct thing to do. I'd have probably said the same in his place. It's not as if anyone doesn't know what burning crosses generally stand for. It's more than possible the guy appreciated his (sadly unusual) forthrightness and openness.

It's just a shame the KKK pinched the idea from bonfire. :-)

On 25 Oct 2010 at 12:31pm wallander wrote:
Years ago a friend from East Africa was visiting and we went to bonfire. He was terrified and shocked by the images (he had seen little tv or film) and thought we were all extremely violent,dressing as vikings and soldiers etc. He understood it fine later but some of the symbols we take for granted have different meanings in the wider world. Not sure what to suggest, its not as if most of us are experts in seventeenth century history. I had the impression that rememberance was becoming the major theme of bonfire now?

On 25 Oct 2010 at 12:48pm pandemonia wrote:
I think it depends on which part of the county a bonfire is occurring, wallander. Remembrance is big (and quite possibly getting a greater predominance given current warfare) in the predominantly Gunpowder Plot/Marian Persecutions areas of Sussex bonfire. Go Further East and things are much more about fire and celebrating other festivals as well as the Gunpowder Plot. Samhain bring an example. But then Samhain is also about remembering the dead so while those "out East" fires are particularly "elemental" there is still a form of remembrance at the heart of things.
As for shock of bonfire, I can understand how it could take people like this but would also say it is a particular strength. Not everything can, or should, have an easily understood explanation. That's best left to the Disney Corporation.

On 25 Oct 2010 at 1:05pm wallander wrote:
when you say east do you mean asia or hailsham?

On 25 Oct 2010 at 1:08pm stig of the dump wrote:
Pretty certain that the burning crosses are for the anti catholic feelings when the 17 protistant martyrs were burnt at the stake

On 25 Oct 2010 at 1:26pm Newmania wrote:
Whatever the true meaning there is an inescapable suggestion of the Promethean in the collission of such potent images as Cross and Flame . This is from Shelley`s Prometheus the Chorus of Furies
Come, come, come!
Leave the bed, low, cold, and red,
Strewed beneath a nation dead;
Leave the hatred, as in ashes
Fire is left for future burning:
It will burst in bloodier flashes
When ye stir it, soon returning:
Leave the self-contempt implanted
In young spirits, sense-enchanted,
Misery's yet unkindled fuel:
Leave Hell's secrets half unchanted
To the maniac dreamer; cruel
More than ye can be with hate
Is he with fear.
Come, come, come!
We are steaming up from Hell's wide gate
And we burthen the blast of the atmosphere,
But vainly we toil till ye come here

One of the costumes is a blacked up African warrior of some kind if you were going to complain I `d have thought that was the one to whine about . Looks great and oddly right for the whole thing to me

On 25 Oct 2010 at 1:58pm Mr Forks wrote:
I don't care what the wider world thinks of Bonfire. It is for the people of Lewes and thats it!

On 25 Oct 2010 at 2:36pm wallander wrote:
Is that the people of Lewes who have not been heard?

On 25 Oct 2010 at 5:16pm Cross wrote:
If people can't be bothered to either find out what bonfire represents, or even listen to people who try to explain its traditions, then as far as I am concerned they can stay un-informed and get offended all they like. We know what the crosses represent, and we know that it is an act of rememberence for the 17 men and women who lost their lives due to intolerance. Certainly NOT as Stig suggests to represent anti Catholic feelings any more than the ceremonies at the War Memorial represent anti German feeling.
There are ceremonies taking place all over the world which the uninitiated would not understand, and maybe find frightening. I am sure that even in Wallander's East African friend's country this is the case too. It would certainly be a bit arrogant to suggest that these ceremonies are in any way bad, or offensive, or should not happen, just because somebody doesn't understand them

On 25 Oct 2010 at 5:42pm Harold wrote:
@ Guy, My appolgies, It was not the `Guy` but the Penguin that did` seem`to go of slightly wrong, These things happen, Im not moaning, well done all

On 25 Oct 2010 at 6:06pm stig of the dump wrote:
@ Cross. Apologies, that came out wrong. I meant it to represent the anti Catholic feelings at the time of the martyrs death, not now

On 25 Oct 2010 at 6:17pm Guy wrote:
Again Harold, appearances can be deceptive. I think the young members who built Pingu should be applauded for their efforts in building that piece, on their own with the occasional guiding hand and watchful eye.
Unfortunately, as with most of these things, the desired effects are in the mind of the builders but the eyes of the crowd.

On 25 Oct 2010 at 6:50pm pandemonia wrote:
Hailsham? Er, no. Try Hastings and eastwards!!

On 25 Oct 2010 at 9:45pm Harold wrote:
@Guy, Of course you are correct, i have always been very impressed with the junior tabs and if it was planned that way it indeed was very good , It will be nice to see what they can do with a few more years under their belts and some more cash in the pot to help them with some great new displays,Once again well done

On 25 Oct 2010 at 10:04pm Newmania wrote:
Whats wrong with Disney ?

On 26 Oct 2010 at 12:30am IMEYOU wrote:
I love this time of year ! . . The for's and against,s , just go with the flow and be tolerant and be grateful that you have a choice x x

On 26 Oct 2010 at 12:32am IMEYOU wrote:
PS
Burn Him !

On 26 Oct 2010 at 10:08am 'ere be monsters wrote:
@Harold, I think you can see the results already. It's a youngster that produced the Tab

1 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cliffe Tableau 2015 Lewes 23:143
Cliffe Tableau 2015 Lewes

Looking forward to a clear run on Monday morning, when all the kids WALK to school ! more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
There are no ordinary moments
Dan