On 20 Oct 2017 at 8:17am Parent wrote:
Nevill bonfire: Heavy rain and severe gales due now extending into Sat evening. Cancelled surely?
On 20 Oct 2017 at 8:31am Billy wrote:
I am sure there are a lot of people agonising over this right now and they will have a "Plan B" as part of their contingency planning. Some people are muttering about moving to Sunday or the next Saturday but things like road closures and all the support logistics require periods of notice. Good luck to them.
On 20 Oct 2017 at 8:44am Need to know wrote:
Well a decision sooner rather than later should be made. The storm aint gonna just disappear. Kids are involved.
On 20 Oct 2017 at 8:49am Billy wrote:
Need to know, I can guarantee that whatever decision is made, in the eyes of some people it will be the wrong one.
On 20 Oct 2017 at 8:52am Landporter wrote:
Wasn't one of the bonfires up on Nevill cancelled a few years ago due to the weather?
On 20 Oct 2017 at 11:51am The Greek wrote:
"Nevill Juvenile Bonfire Society statement with regards to expected weather for Saturday, 21st October.
Current weather predictions state high winds during the day, with winds dropping in the evening.
We are monitoring the weather closely, and in consultation with various stakeholders (Sussex Police, Lewes District Council, Security, St. John's etc) to look at the feasibility of alternative options.
Currently, we are progressing with arrangements to go ahead as originally planned."
They are meeting today and tomorrow to discuss.
On 20 Oct 2017 at 12:07pm Parent wrote:
Bl00dy dangerous and irresponsible if they go ahead.
On 20 Oct 2017 at 12:14pm @Need to Know wrote:
Surely you can make some decisions for yourself. Even if they did go ahead in gale force winds, are you saying you would still take your kids along?
On 20 Oct 2017 at 1:20pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I'd like to know sooner rather than later.
We're going to go away for the night to avoid having a traumatised dog, if it's not happening, I can cancel if I give 24 hours notice!
On 20 Oct 2017 at 4:13pm Billy wrote:
The Press are reporting that it has been moved to Sunday evening. Not sure where they got this info or if it is true? Surely, you can't get the necessary road closures at such short notice?
On 20 Oct 2017 at 5:10pm The Greek wrote:
"As the weather for Saturday is predicting gusts of up to 45mph throughout the evening, we have taken the difficult decision of postponing our Bonfire celebrations to Sunday, 22nd October where the current forecast is predicting less winds.
We will continue to monitor the weather for Sunday. However, based on current forecasts we anticipate having a full bonfire and fireworks display. We will update members with details of procession timings and routes."
On 20 Oct 2017 at 5:31pm Torchy McTorchface wrote:
Where is that posted publicly?
On 20 Oct 2017 at 6:59pm God wrote:
On their facebook page
On 20 Oct 2017 at 8:50pm Angrylewesian wrote:
I came all the way back from London to see this!
On 20 Oct 2017 at 9:18pm Spicey T wrote:
Thank goodness it's postponed! I can watch "Strictly" in peace!
On 21 Oct 2017 at 12:04am Harry wrote:
It's been postponed until Sunday due to high winds
On 21 Oct 2017 at 1:10pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Will they be trying to have processions or just the bonfire and fireworks? I'd like to see how that pans out, with people not expecting it and no road closures in place.
I could really do without all that racket on a Sunday night when we have early starts and work on Monday, frankly.
On 21 Oct 2017 at 1:34pm NJBS wrote:
Will be rolling road closures
And stop being s misrable Cnut
Move if you donít like it
On 21 Oct 2017 at 3:51pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I love it, NJBS, i just think it's unreasonable to have it on a Sunday. One of my neighbours has to leave for work at 5am, that'll be great if there are still processions at 11.00. As far as I can recall, when it was cancelled once before it was held on a Saturday later in the year, after Robertsbridge, iirc.
It's also more difficult for those of us who have dogs that are terrified to spend the night away on a Sunday, especially at such short notice.
But your rude response makes me suspect that you are not even an NJBS member, as they have always been considerate of their local neighbours.
As for the "rolling road closures", perhaps you'd be kind enough to point me to the relevant traffic orders and notices?
On 21 Oct 2017 at 4:16pm Justaparent wrote:
From their Facebook page
NEVILL JUVENILE BONFIRE SOCIETY CELEBRATIONS SUNDAY, 22ND OCTOBER
We will hold our Bonfire Celebrations on Sunday evening. Please come directly to the firesite at Landport Bottom and NOT the Nevill estate. The firesite will be open from 5pm with our Grand Firework Display at 7:30pm.
We plan to have our clergy stand, effigy, tableaux, aerial display, caterers as well as bands on the firesite. We wish to make this as much a Bonfire event as possible under the circumstances.
As we are unable to obtain a road closure for Sunday, there will be NO PROCESSIONS anywhere on the Nevill Estate or Nevill Road.
All members and visiting societies please wear your smugglers and costumes to gain free entrance to the members area on the firesite. Anyone in civvies will be treated as a member of the public and asked to pay an entrance fee of £5.
For the general public, you're more than welcome to join us. Tickets are £5, and free for children that are accompanied by a paying adult. We are collecting for the Rockinghorse Appeal charity, so please give generously.
Please take care coming onto, and leaving, the Motor Roads. Nevill Road and the estate WILL be open to traffic.