Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

NO GRITTERS IN LANDPORT

On 11 Mar 2013 at 7:12pm ZIGGY wrote:
I can't believe it! With this snow forecasted a few days ago the council still haven't sent any gritters down Kingsley Hill. People struggling to get out!

On 11 Mar 2013 at 8:02pm peasant wrote:
Just drove from Lewes to Ringmer. Road had nearly half an inch of snow, so by Sussex standards close to impassable. Traffic very light, travelling at 20 mph. Gritters haven't been out - bad news, as they all live in Ringmer, so if that road isn't gritted, it usually means nowhere is.

On 11 Mar 2013 at 8:06pm wrote:
Whitehill ( Elephant and Castle ) not gritted 2 collisions in the last half an hour!
On 11 Mar 2013 at 8:16pm Stan the Sarcastic Man wrote:
Serves you right for not living in De Montfort Road like Ben, where everythings just wonderful

On 11 Mar 2013 at 8:18pm Rookie wrote:
90 minutes to drive back from Brighton Racecourse area at 5pm. 45 minutes just getting down Elm Grove alone. Not a sign of any grit anywhere but I saw the aftermath of 6 accidents. There were still some nutters doing 50 in the snow covered overtaking lane on the A27!

On 11 Mar 2013 at 8:27pm Frank wrote:
Seen 2 gritters out ! In 6 hours

On 11 Mar 2013 at 8:34pm slipslideaway wrote:
last night there was salt being spread down by the M23/M25 junction, and there was snow visible in the air in Brighton so I am at a bit of a loss to know why gritters weren't out when one might reasonably expect them to be. Maybe one of our County Councillors would like to offer an explanation? (waits without holding breath...)

On 11 Mar 2013 at 8:35pm grafter wrote:
frightening journey back from Ringmer just now. Just made it up School Hill wheels spinning.

On 11 Mar 2013 at 8:53pm @Rookie wrote:
I left the actual racecourse at 4:45pm and got home to Lewes in my usual 20 minutes via Elm Grove. I guess I had a lucky escape

On 11 Mar 2013 at 8:54pm Ben wrote:
Hey Stan, you're not wrong there! De Montfort was gritted before it went dark.

On 11 Mar 2013 at 9:01pm Commuter wrote:
Highways and Railways in a complete shambles all day. No grit on the Highway and no De-icers on the tracks! Those in charge have treated the weather with a shrug of the shoulders. The Met Office have been forceasting this for days.

On 11 Mar 2013 at 9:01pm Ben wrote:
Oh......and Stan my Waitrose delivery has just managed to get through so it will be Chablis with the Sea Bass rather than the inferior sauvignon blanc i had in the wine cooler. Oh my, i think somebody up there likes me!

On 11 Mar 2013 at 9:02pm brixtonbelle wrote:
no gritters in centre of town/ cliffe either. don't suppose they care if business can't open or deliveries be made...
On 11 Mar 2013 at 9:21pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Only about a fifth of taxes collected from road users gets spent on the roads. In other northern european countries all these roads would be clear by now.

On 11 Mar 2013 at 9:21pm Southover Queen wrote:
We'll be hoping for red cross parcels in Southover if this goes on. For some reason our little corner is the last to become passable after snow - the last time it snowed I put the ice tracker thingies on my boots and set off as if to trek across Antarctica. Imagine my surprise on reaching the West Gate to discover there was virtually no snow anywhere else. (I took the tracker thingies off the boots at St Michaels church, feeling slightly foolish)

On 11 Mar 2013 at 9:22pm Rookie wrote:
@@Rookie. You must have just missed the bad stuff. Elm Grove was at a virtual standstill at 5.20. .

On 11 Mar 2013 at 9:32pm Jambo wrote:
Can't understand lack of gritters they were superb last snowfall gona be great getting up Kingsley hill am unless they get out

On 11 Mar 2013 at 9:41pm Deelite wrote:
No gritters in Barcombe. Second car come off the road at Crink Hill, Barcombe Mills Road... and all is well with the world. Sledging tomorrow...

On 11 Mar 2013 at 10:20pm Landportonian wrote:
Kingsley Hill still bad

On 11 Mar 2013 at 10:50pm Roly Mo wrote:
Oh how the French laugh at us!! Call that snow?????

On 11 Mar 2013 at 11:10pm I srink wrote:
so, I wonder what 'lessons were learned' last time, if they didn't include what would have helped today?

On 11 Mar 2013 at 11:33pm Dave wrote:
Which one of our three councils is responsible for the grifters (or lack of them)?

On 12 Mar 2013 at 3:20am Peasant wrote:
East Sussex CC do most roads, but the Highways Agency do the A27/A23 and the bit of the A26 from Beddingham to Newhaven. Both lots of gritters live at different locations in Ringmer.

On 12 Mar 2013 at 7:43am Matt Kent wrote:
The A23 is still a nightmare today. It took my wife 13.5hrs to drive from Gatwick to Lewes last night. She got in at 5.30 this morning. Utter madness. The Highways Agency should be utterly ashamed!

On 12 Mar 2013 at 7:51am Townie wrote:
Glad the wife's ok matt.
At least the Sussex depress will have something to write about this week now !!!!

On 12 Mar 2013 at 9:09am Myself wrote:
"At least the Sussex depress will have something to write about this week now !!!!" I doubt it. I bet they couldn't get in because of the snow!!!!! Mind you, It'll be tough to spot the difference in content.
On 12 Mar 2013 at 12:27pm Merlin Milner wrote:
Took me over 5 hours last night to get from near Gatwick to Lewes. Seems that I was one of the luckier ones. Luckily turned off and went via Haywards Heath. Saw many gritters but they were not gritting. A few were stuck in the traffic too. Amazing how such little snow caused gridlock. There was a fair bit off ice. After I got through Haywards Heath I only saw about half dozen cars from there to Lewes.

On 12 Mar 2013 at 1:05pm Major Malling wrote:
Rather than blame other people I took personal responsibilty, listened to the warnings, and chose not to use the roads.

On 12 Mar 2013 at 1:31pm Lanportite wrote:
There is also the grit bin that can be used if needed in the local areas, if everyone that can did just a little bit then it would be alot easier! Also why not walk or use other means of transport?? Its amazing how things come to a standstill in this country while others cope...
Plenty of people were able to get out of Landport this am that we saw. Hmmmm

On 12 Mar 2013 at 1:38pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Landport folk shouldn't grumble, the Nevill hardly ever gets gritted, they only get round to it after the snow has been lying around for a few days and they've done everywhere else.
Thanks to the residents who gritted the crossroads at East Way/Hamsey Crescent though - at least that was one bit of my walk to work that wasn't slippy.
I got stuck in queueing traffic at East Grinstead for hours yesterday morning. That stretch of the A22 was gridlocked in both directions. It was so slippery, even an Impreza managed a spectacular slide. Along with many others, I sat it out in the Sainsburys cafe until it had warmed up a bit and started to thaw.

On 12 Mar 2013 at 7:39pm The Super K wrote:
Buy some snow socks for your car wheels... or Snow chains... Why rely on the council gritting... Besides Gritting before a snow fall is pointless!!!! I have a few old pairs of Snow chains used once in the alps. Going cheap!!!

On 12 Mar 2013 at 9:48pm Harold wrote:
To be honest, don`t waste your money on snow socks, they will get you out of trouble but will not last long, Chains much better but can only really be used on snow so you need to keep putting them on and off, I have bought winter tyres, I did not skid or get stuck anywhere while working last night,and they are not just for snow, they are good up to about 6C,not too expensive now either

5 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Is that the Pope 47:143
Is that the Pope

Once more onto the beach dear fiends.... Nev, I'm not trying to impress or confuse, just saying what I believe, and what I... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy