Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

NEW SHOPPING CENTRE

On 17 Oct 2007 at 11:33am SUE wrote:
Hi is it true they are building a new shopping centre and housing complex with a cinema around the tesco area?.If so where abouts is it where al those old factorys opposite tescos?

On 17 Oct 2007 at 12:25pm Landport loony wrote:
Oh great....this'll get the tree huggers out in force declaring that they're going to ruin our quaint little town blah blah f*****g blah.
Bring it on...build the shopping centre out of brick...not poxy wood and lets have some decent shops in this town that suits everyone's requirements not just the super rich antique collectors.
FWIW, that designated area is opposite Tesco...across the river in the old Phoenix industrial area although there are plans to expand Tesco (hurrah) and build a Lidels next to it.

On 17 Oct 2007 at 3:35pm zola wrote:
Oh Whoopee, I love Lidls....Ive missed Iceland since it shut,and there seems to be a gap between Waitrose and Tesco's that Lidls will fill quite nicely. Hope its true...And we could do with a poundland too...

On 17 Oct 2007 at 4:33pm Landport loony wrote:
A poundland....OMG !!!. David Quinn will have a seizure if such tack was sold in our quaint little town.

On 17 Oct 2007 at 4:48pm Geoff wrote:
Yes. The thought of a pound shop in our lovely town, makes my skin crawl. The very idea of poor people, with their clothes in rags walking into a pound shop, capable of buying anything from an A4 sheet of paper to a car, for just £1, would be an insult.
Lewes, to be filled with utter a**e gravy tack Zola!! How could you think such thoughts?

On 17 Oct 2007 at 5:08pm Lauren wrote:
Hi Zola, i loved your response to the new shopping centre it had me in stitches, especially the response from landport loony and Geoff. I think this one will be a good topic.....

On 17 Oct 2007 at 5:12pm zola wrote:
Why? Cos you can buy 4 bars of bournville,a pregnancy test kit,Huge tubes of whitening toothpaste(+free toothbrush)Good hair conditioner,3 packs of ibuprofen,family packs of condoms,zit cream,Do it yourself enema kit...All for £1 each..Im dribbling at the thought of a Poundland....It can go where that excuse for a cheap shop went near Tesco's,out of the way...No one would be bothered by it...

On 17 Oct 2007 at 5:14pm zola wrote:
tack Zola!! How could you think such thoughts?
On 17/10/2007 zola wrote:
Why? Cos you can buy 4 bars of bournville,a pregnancy test kit,Huge tubes of whitening toothpaste(+free toothbrush)Good hair conditioner,3 packs of ibuprofen,family packs of condoms,zit cream,Do it yourself enema kit...All for £1 each..Im dribbling at the thought of a Poundland....It can go where that excuse for a cheap shop went near Tesco's,out of the way...No one would be bothered by it...

On 17 Oct 2007 at 5:30pm Geoff wrote:
Your'e probably right Zola. And I admire you for your dedication.
I would still however, happily vomit over the products people come out of the pound shop with. And I'm sure it would vastly improve the value to. Naturally, I hope such a situation will not come about for me to have to do this.

On 17 Oct 2007 at 5:42pm zola wrote:
Seriously Geoff(!)....Have you ever been in Poundland? There are loads of inferior pound shops around,and believe me,i been to them all...But Poundland is a good shop.They sell a lot of top of the range stuff,and a bit of tat of course,but it really is the best of the bunch IMO....Ive always thought there was a space in Lewes for one...I mean,that cheap,very tacky shop near Tesco's was truly terrible.I walked right round it,and came out with nothing.Very unlike me....Anyway,who is David Quinn? Is he a candidate for your wicker man?

On 17 Oct 2007 at 6:06pm sue wrote:
goodness never realised this would create such a stir,by the way does anyone know what shops are going in there?

On 17 Oct 2007 at 6:06pm Landport loony wrote:
David Quinn is the head honcho on the Lewes trade and commerce board. He is also owner of Barbican carpets opposite the memorial.
He despises change, hates any competition within the town yet happily condones the plethera of antique shops, estate agents, hairderssers and curry houses.
The moment someone wants to sell cheap stuff, Mr Quinn and his merry men object like mad.
On the subject of pound shops Zola. The ones you get in Brighton are ok but the one we had in Lewes last xmas really was the lowest of the low for pound shops. However, this was my personal opinion and it was probably a god send for those extra dot-to-dot books and the like for the less affluent among us for stocking fillers.

On 17 Oct 2007 at 6:08pm Landport loony wrote:
Sorry Zola....just read the bottom of your last post where you said the last pound shop was terrible.
I'm off to do 50 lines....."i must read the reply properly, I must read the reply properly, i must......................

On 17 Oct 2007 at 6:46pm zola wrote:
Im not a complete scumbag you know....Just an up+coming.Lidls is good for olive oil,parmesan and camenbert.And very cheap fruit+veg.Waitrose is bearable when things are reduced,bringing the prices down to an acceptable level.And Tesco's sells good wines.But their cheap meat is terrible and i wont buy it.Seems its impossible for me to do a complete shop in a supermarket....But i enjoy scouting around.On another note,does Mr Quinn actually stop new businesses starting up then? What powers does he have?

On 17 Oct 2007 at 6:58pm Lauren wrote:
Hi Zola, im in your corner, we really could do with a few extra shops. As you said they dont have to be tacky shops like that pound one that was near tesco's, it was bloody awful. I really miss iceland, it was so handy for the kids as you could buy loads of bits in the summer and the price's were reasonable.
I feel sorry for all the people who cant afford to do luxury shopping, and with a few extra shops with reasonable prices people would'nt have to scrimp and save.. GO ZOLA...........

On 17 Oct 2007 at 7:05pm For The Record wrote:
Lewes had a pound shop in the past - it did not flourish.
Personally, I hope other pound shops will take notice and stay away.

On 17 Oct 2007 at 7:09pm Landport loony wrote:
Oh do shut up you snob. Bringing down the reputation of your town is it ?
No wonder Lewes is like it is when it's full of stuck up ***** like you

On 17 Oct 2007 at 7:13pm zola wrote:
Thanks Lauren!Glad someone agrees...I go to Burgess Hill sometimes,they have Lidls,Iceland,Somerfield,Waitrose,and i think a Sainsburys too.And a covered shopping mall.I LOVE shopping there.What have we got.2 supermarkets.Woopeedoo.I really hope Lidls ends up here...
And a cinema too! Bout time,the Odeon should never had been left to rot.That was a lovely art deco building...Shame.

On 17 Oct 2007 at 7:19pm zola wrote:
Yes,and that one was a plie of **** too!! It was terrible,same stock week in,week out....I used to manage shops and i KNOW a good poundshop,like Poundland would work in Lewes.They have to be run properly.If i had some capital,i would do it.....I'll show Mr carpetbagger Quinn...

On 17 Oct 2007 at 11:13pm lopster wrote:
I don't understand I thought that euro-legislation would surely mean it would need to be called kilogrammeland if a new one opened now?

On 17 Oct 2007 at 11:36pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Euro-land - that means that the products would be cheaper!

On 18 Oct 2007 at 9:06am Geoff wrote:
Zola. It would be volunteers only for the wickerman, myself included. It is an honour after all. The person that draws the short straw has that honour to step into the wickerman.
I do agree that we need Waitrose to bring down their prices and for Tescos to improve their quality in certain areas. I give way to your insistance for a pound shop and certainly hope its a better quality shop from the dives I have experienced. You may for example be able to buy dove soap there, but is it the real deal?
I know a shop called Wilkinsons, much the same as the pound shop chain. They sell brand names, but look at the small print on the products and you will see they are cheap versions. I guess if its just going to cost a pound, then hey ho. I'm all for the poor getting what they need. If the pound shop arrives, perhaps we should have a fanfare for the opening ceremony and you can have the pleasure of cutting the ribbon Zola.

On 18 Oct 2007 at 9:49am sue wrote:
Hi i know waitrose very well its one of John Lewis shops,and who does john lewis cater for?the rich so as for them bringing down the price no chance the rich love spending their money lol!Mind you waitrose on mondays around 11 ish bring down loads of there products good bargin and on thursday nights well they do where i live.And wilko's is a good shop yes you get rubbish but i have lots and lots of good stuff and i am poor sad to admit! I have a lovely looking trunk and lots have people have commented on it and asked where i got it and are really surprised i got it from wilkos for a wooping £36 only because i saw a chip on it very small one,but the origanal price was only £40 so yeah true true there is rubbish but also good stuff.

On 18 Oct 2007 at 3:49pm Landport loony wrote:
I bet your trunk is heavenly Sue !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 18 Oct 2007 at 8:24pm sue wrote:
ooooooooooooh yeah i am soooooooooooooooo in love with my trunk!

12 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes pottery 75:132
Lewes pottery

Thanks, Stevied. You’re right, They are the best fields and pretty secure, (save for the gate at the top.) She’s on heat at... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy