Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Mumford Weekend

On 20 Jul 2013 at 7:46pm kevin wrote:
Does anyone else wonder what happened in Lewes this weekend? How did streets get closed, residents not get to drive on Lewes streets, families get disrupted, babies kept awake, human excrement get left in flat hallway near concert site, and all without any apparent consultation with Lewes folk? Is there some sort of A list of people who made money from the event? Just wondering...
On 20 Jul 2013 at 7:53pm Another voice of reason wrote:
I drove through town today with no problem. can't even hear any noise. I do feel sorry for the person who found the crap, and for any sleeplessness, but I do think it has been a success. Generally speaking.
On 20 Jul 2013 at 9:25pm chris huang zhe wrote:
how was the turd deemed to be human?
On 20 Jul 2013 at 9:39pm Really ! wrote:
Lewes came alive -that's what happened ! As for the excrement - don't mean to say it is a festival goer ! Don't be so narrow minded :-))
On 20 Jul 2013 at 11:06pm anne wrote:
kevin I totally agree with you, and now walking in the fields off Kingston road coming across human excrement, makes me sick. ok have a festival but not in a town and when there are not enough facilities to accommodate 25000 extra people. ridiculous
On 21 Jul 2013 at 12:22am Gentleman of the Town wrote:
It has been a brilliant day - thousands milling around the town, a happy atmosphere everywhere, a welcome from the local shopkeepers, no visible signs of trouble, helpful police officers and festival stewards. And good music on a well organised site. We've shown that Lewes can host an event like this and we should do it again - hopefully soon.
On 21 Jul 2013 at 2:43am Val wrote:
How can you tell the difference between a dog poo and a human one, Anne?
On 21 Jul 2013 at 3:44am Local wrote:
Usually the presence of paper near the turds is the main clue. Down near Cliffe's fireside this morning, there was plenty of both around. Not nice, but totally understandable given the alternative of a portaloo...
On 21 Jul 2013 at 7:49am kevin wrote:
...and the money? I never claimed to be able to differentiate types of poo. Would that I could. But I just wanted to know how it is possible to have a town used to make money for some people, and expect the vast number of residents to put up with it. Residents who pay rates etc. Can anyone hold a concert, block roads, divert traffic, make money with no consultation? Could I have sold beer off a quad bike? I enjoyed the day too, especially a band playing outside Boots. They were free.
On 21 Jul 2013 at 8:19am another local wrote:
If there is a giant loose turd here, it's you kevin.
This was a wonderful weekend - one that many of us Lewesians will remember with joy for decades to come. 25,000 people - of all ages - singing and dancing along together on warm summer's evenings in the shadow of the priory ruins is something I will never forget.
On 21 Jul 2013 at 8:30am Tom C wrote:
Aside from the frustrating queues to get in on Friday, the whole thing was just brilliant I think. Lewes looked brilliant, the atmosphere in both town and event was giddy, the music was great, and the priory market stalls on the festival site were lovely. It was a job well done and Lewes should be feeling very proud.
On 21 Jul 2013 at 10:03am guest wrote:
You might want to note that we had a human poohing in our alley next to our house on a regular lewes only Saturday
On 21 Jul 2013 at 12:39pm not from around here wrote:
Well normally Lewes is a quiet backwater of a place that's more dead than alive - despite Viva Lewes proclaiming (just a bit too often) that it 'punches well above it's cultural weight'. Not really, some folks, particularly DFL's feel that they are in some sort of South Bank on the South Downs - it's not, it really isn't.
Normally it's too sleepy, too insular. At least with all the Mumford fans Lewes was forced to acknowledge that there are other human beings and cultures far more vibrant than it's own home-grown middle-class cosy Viva view.
So, on the whole the festival is a great thing - if only to wake-up the town!
On 21 Jul 2013 at 12:54pm aralski wrote:
The above statement pretty much nails Lewes for me too but this weekend was a special one and the town should be rightly proud that it contributed in such a positive way to an outstanding few days which were enjoyed by locals and visitors alike.

On 21 Jul 2013 at 6:38pm geoff wrote:
Anne - you are a very sad dried up old prune. Get a life got God's sake.

22 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Bill Lewes 10:132
Bill Lewes

Just save me the bother and explain how this undermines current scientific consensus on climate change. Your previous recommended... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare