Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Moving to Nevil

On 18 May 2009 at 8:29pm Isla Mann wrote:
I have benn thinking about moving to Nevil, having been in the centre of town for a good few years now. Want a decent size garden and bigger rooms. My Sun Street house is a too small for me.
But tell me, are there nice middle class people in Nevil or is it still mainly ex-council? Also, those nasty boy racers who lived (lived?) on the corner of the green revving their cars all night - are they still there?

On 18 May 2009 at 8:46pm Barbie wrote:
What is wrong with council you stuck up cow.

On 18 May 2009 at 8:49pm Rozzer wrote:
Isla Mann = Isle of Man. Very funny.Don't rise to it anyone.

On 18 May 2009 at 10:37pm Alex Smart wrote:
Thanks for pointing that one out Rozzer !!

On 19 May 2009 at 8:57am isla white wrote:
Of course nice middle class people live up here? There is a few ex council like everywhere, but most of the wierdo's are the privatly owned. ie my neighbours 80 year old mental cases.
The boy racers are not to bad now but again you'll get them anywhere in lewes.
I wouldnt change living here for the world.

On 19 May 2009 at 10:25am Isla Capri wrote:
I prefer it where I am, even if they do play Gracie Fields's Greatest Hits all day.

On 19 May 2009 at 5:53pm bubble wrote:
Here here Isla white,

On 19 May 2009 at 9:00pm Isla Dogs wrote:
barking mad the lot of you

On 20 May 2009 at 9:28am Janet Parks wrote:
They're all scumbags Barbie.
They have loads of children, don't work, therefore they are in all day, playing music until 3am, fight with each other and swear a lot. I wouldn't want to live next door to them either. Stuck up maybe... Stupid? No!

On 20 May 2009 at 9:51am Annoyed wrote:
Janet...Please don't generalise like that.Not all council residents are scumbags.Some maybe,not all.

On 20 May 2009 at 12:41pm Ed Can Do wrote:
Someone I know applied for a council flat recently as they lived in a four bed house with their parents and their kids (Nine people altogether). They were told they only stodd a chance if he gave up working or she became a single mum.
Shows how commited the council are to cutting the number of people on benefits are eh? You can only have a council flat if you quit your job and go onto benefits. It'd be funny if it wasn't true.

On 20 May 2009 at 12:52pm Cliffebimbo wrote:
Not true. My friend is a single mum, who does not work (she is at university training to be a teacher). She could not get a council place, and now has to rent privately. On the otherhand, I know people who have been working and managed to get a place- you just have to be patient. There aren't that many empty properties available, and you can't just chuck people out because there are people who are more deserving of a council property. By the way, I grew up in a council house, as did many people I know, and we are certainly not scum, nor were we scroungers.

On 20 May 2009 at 1:25pm Council tenant wrote:
Ed,I think you have been misinformed somewhere along the line....
You do not have to be on income support to be able to get a council property.Nor do you necessarily have to be a single mum...I'm sure being a single mum may get you a bit further up the list,but as to not having a job helping...Not sure about that one.And your friends would have needed a very large flat to accomodate 9 people....

On 20 May 2009 at 6:03pm your queen wrote:
Of course one is better if one's home is owned by the bank rather than the council. Jolly good to see my subjects perpetuating the class structure that keep me in my rightful place. Quite splendid.

On 20 May 2009 at 7:00pm Another council tenant wrote:
Some people have lived in council housing for many years,often making the houses worth a great deal.They would have paid for the houses over the years.If they are now living rent free or on benefits due to age,good luck to them.Before anyone says about under occupation,believe me it is not easy to get into property to your liking.Yes you can get pushed into a flat or whatever,but why should you accept rubbish perhaps in a noisy area etc?Council housing started out for those in need,sadly too many have been sold leaving very little to be rented out.Sorry to rant, but it annoys me when people make such sweeping statements.

On 20 May 2009 at 8:02pm Get Real wrote:
"They would have paid for the houses over the years" PMSL LOL PMSL
That is SO funny as even those that do pay rent are paying a subsidised rent (the real cost being propped up by taxpayers)

On 20 May 2009 at 8:33pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Actually, they're not subsidised. Under one of the pieces of housing reform legislation brought in in the 1980s, councils have to ring-fence the housing revenue account and aren't alloweed to subsidise rents from the general budget. Any surplus generated is also ring-fenced and can't be used to subsidise other services the way that some councils used to.

On 20 May 2009 at 8:35pm Mortgage Advice wrote:
Makes a change from being screwed... I don't think the rent is subsidised, my flat is worth about £115,000 can you tell me, that I would pay more than 69.00 pw over thirty years.

On 20 May 2009 at 8:45pm Even More Real wrote:
"Get Real" a taxpayer?

On 20 May 2009 at 9:25pm Another council tenant wrote:
What does PMSL LOL PMSL mean?English please most of us oldies do not understand .Are you saying that you object to helping older people?Please remember that we have for years contributed when we were working.In some cases the man has died before reaching retirement age having fought a war possibly two.Yes there are the work shy,but please think it through before making such assumptions.

On 26 May 2009 at 1:40pm Own my own home wrote:
2 council houses became empty near me recently. When the tenants moved in the first thing they both did was to have their Sky dish put up...!!!!
Makes my blood boil...they've also got loads of kids, and enough cats and dogs to feed Thailand...on the bread line my arse!

On 26 May 2009 at 9:25pm steve wrote:
a council house is for life,not just for christmas

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Boroughs tableau 2015 12:132
Boroughs tableau 2015

Ugh, you give TP an inch and he takes a mile with eugenics and other wackadoodle stuff. I do sense though that the power is... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like tea and faerie cakes on the Castle Green
NCG