Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Moving stuff

On 9 Oct 2016 at 5:04pm Smiler wrote:
As dusk approaches on Remembrance Sunday this year, there is to be a special remembrance ceremony to remember those Lewesians that lost their lives in the Great War. The ceremony is being organised by Tom Reeves and the University of the Arts, with the cooperation of the Royal British Legion and the Town Council.

The Bonfire Societies of Lewes have been asked to play a very important role in this ceremony by coming up with volunteers (members) to represent each soldier from Lewes who sacrificed their lives and whose name appears on the Lewes War Memorial. Each member (in civvies) will leave the house where each soldier lived with a flaming torch to arrive at the War Memorial at 5:00pm. Each of these members will wear a badge and carry a card displaying the name of the soldier they are representing.

As each member arrives at the War Memorial they hand in their card and when that soldier?s name is read out, they will move forward, douse their torch and walk off down Market Street to a dump for the spent torches.
On 9 Oct 2016 at 6:42pm Feline wrote:
How moving. I'll be there.
On 9 Oct 2016 at 7:34pm Man with loads of kids wrote:
A fitting tribute to the young men who gave their lives.
On 9 Oct 2016 at 7:53pm Proud relative wrote:
How fantastic, I personally have 4 great uncles on there. Lewes well done.
On 9 Oct 2016 at 9:47pm Sunshine wrote:
How can Smiler's post get two dislikes? This is a wonderful tribute and I'll be there to offer my full support.
Two dislikes? Maybe those two horrible greenie women that lay white poppies.
On 10 Oct 2016 at 12:42pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Wow, what a wonderful way to remember the fallen.
Well done to whoever came up with that idea.

31 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

River Wharfs Lewes 101:132
River Wharfs Lewes

Masks are now compulsory in classrooms. My son is off isolating again after being in close contact. The fuss is about lost... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like it when people find lost stuff on the forum
Jim