Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Moving......

On 11 Oct 2004 at 3:20pm Special K wrote:
Morning all, I'm moving to Lewes in 3 weeks. After reading your message boards it sounds like I needn't bother bringing the car? Where is a good place in town to go to meet new people and inflict myself on the gentle society!

On 11 Oct 2004 at 3:44pm Raziel wrote:
Hi SK,
Depends on your interest, a couple of "friendly" pubs are The Brewers Arms (near the centre of the town) and the Black Horse - which is quite a way up the high street but well worth it (come into the Black Horse on a Friday and ask for "Ashley" - I'll probably be proping up the bar).

On 11 Oct 2004 at 4:02pm Special K wrote:
Propping up the bar sounds like a hugely enjoyable pastime! Apparently Lewes has the largest concentration of pubs per square mile of anywhere in sussex (apart from Brighton and Hove). And a brewery to boot!

On 11 Oct 2004 at 5:47pm sleeping lion wrote:
Try the Lamb as well very central in town.Avoid the Snowdrop though a real dive.

On 11 Oct 2004 at 6:18pm Raziel wrote:
Well, Lewes was once known as the town with 100 pubs. Just working along the High Street from my house to the bottom of the Cliffe High Street you have:
The Meridian (used to be called The Pewter Pot), The Black Horse, The Pelham Arms, Shelleys Hotel (bar is open to non-residents), Brewers Arms, The Rainbow, The White Hart (Hotel with bar open to non-residents), The Crown. Then there is a bit of a lull in pubs along School Hill, but finally ending up with the Gardners Arms in the Cliffe.
On top of the above you also have several pubs just off the main High Street including The Royal Oak, The Lamb, The Volunteer and The Dorest Arms.
You would definitely have to have a strong constitution to have a pint in each working from the top to the bottom of the town.

On 11 Oct 2004 at 6:54pm Special K wrote:
Sounds painful...... I assume there is something else to do other than drink beer? I've been to the Lamb before, rather good chippie over the road as I recall, although I was a little bit tipsy at the time!

On 11 Oct 2004 at 7:43pm Raziel wrote:
Yes, there's lots of things to do apart from drink beer, S.K.
You could drink whiskey, vodka, gin, the list is almost endless! :o)
Actually depending on your interests there are many different clubs and societies in the town from folk clubs, camera clubs and the like through to a local cinema club, Little Theatre, Operatic Society (of which my wife is one of the props ladies), etc.
So, no matter what your taste you should fit in just fine.

On 11 Oct 2004 at 7:57pm sleeping lion wrote:
you must have been tipsy mate.that chippie is awful.

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Brian_the_Snail_Lewes 14:132
Brian_the_Snail_Lewes

Thanks, Stevied. You’re right, They are the best fields and pretty secure, (save for the gate at the top.) She’s on heat at... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare