Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Mindless vandalism.

On 5 Aug 2015 at 10:16am Rookie wrote:
3 of the new light fittings on the path to the new 3G facility at the Convent Field have been destroyed. One has been completely uprooted which must have taken some doing. Any information please contact the club.
On 5 Aug 2015 at 4:45pm Lewes Resident wrote:
Hi Rookie,
Do you know when the damage ocurred, when were they last checked/used/known to be okay?
I will admit that have no idea what the light fittings you are talking about look like as I haven't been to the new facility - but, if they are tall "street lights" or spot lights on tall gantries are you sure they didn't just get blown over/damaged by the strong winds yesterday? There were some very strong gusts in places... Are you sure they were properly fitted/fixed/secured etc in the first place and that they haven't just worked loose/blown over?

If they are low level or sunken units then it would indeed suggest mindless vandalism, or perhaps an attempt to remove them to steal any metal/cabling they may contain for onward sale as scrap?
Sorry I cannot offer more help - I hope you get it sorted.
If theft or vandalism it doesn't reflect well on Lewes, assuming of course, any culprits are locals...

Lewes Resident

On 5 Aug 2015 at 6:18pm mindful comment wrote:
I hope LR is right, at least wind damage should be covered by insurance.
On 5 Aug 2015 at 6:25pm Local wrote:
They're 2' high bollard lights. No chance whatsoever of wind or accidental damage to them. I'm surprised to hear that they are Club property when they're on a pubic footpath, not that it would make this sorry story any better if they are Council property.
On 5 Aug 2015 at 8:08pm Rookie wrote:
A pubic footpath? Great typo !

On 5 Aug 2015 at 8:33pm Sussex Jim wrote:
Rookie, you are splitting hairs.
Yes- if they are 2ft. plastic bollards they are easy targets for vandals unfortunately.
On 5 Aug 2015 at 10:10pm 3G user wrote:
I have little hope for this facility. They are charging 90/ hr to use this facility. As a result, few people can afford to use it regularly.
Since no one is using it; it is closed.
Since it is closed, people climb over the fence and use it for free.
People whom climb fences to gain access are generally not going to look after the facilities they are not paying for.
I have observed people using it several times with the gates firmly locked.
They need to form a proper price module, with high prices for peak times and low prices for last minute bookings at low use times.
On 6 Aug 2015 at 10:28am eric wrote:
I have no interest in the football club either positive or negative but i say it was a stupid idea to build it in the first place. Complete waste of money. No one in Lewes is going to pay that when there are cheaper and better options just a few miles away. A white elephant that will soon fall into disuse.
On 6 Aug 2015 at 11:58am Rooks fan wrote:
I have heard that it is 90% booked up for Autumn and Winter. Hardly a white elephant.

On 8 Aug 2015 at 7:01pm RAD wrote:
The 3G will be a great asset to local football. Lewis Bridge View Junior Football Club will be priority users (along with Priory School and the Rooks of course). That will see over 200 boys and girls training there each week during the season - they will also play matches there in the depths of winter when there is often an enforced two month break due to poor drainage at Malling. From what I know the rates are competitive with Uckfield and others in the area.

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Torchlit 126:132
Torchlit

Eddi: Amazon delivered your parcels to us today you've got the wrong address in your account.

Please let me know what you... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare