Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Michael Caine,what a flaming cheek!

On 6 Apr 2017 at 9:56pm Brexit Dementia wrote:
Sir Michael Caine aged 84, says he voted for Brexit because he would 'rather be a poor master than a rich servant'
Michael Caine has a net worth of $75 million..
Caine lives in multi million pound mansion in Leatherhead Surrey surrounded by a twenty acre estate, Surrey. In addition, Caine owns an apartment at the Apogee in Miami Beach, Florida. He still keeps a small flat near where he grew up in south east London. Caine and his wife, Shakira, own a Chelsea Harbour penthouse too.
The Oscar winner ended his self-imposed tax exile in America when Margaret Thatcher came to power as he found her tax policies much more favourable.
In 2009, Caine publicly criticised the Labour government of Gordon Brown for its reintroduced 50% (per cent) income tax rate on top earners and threatened to return to the US if his taxes were increased further. During the run up to the 2010 General Election, Caine publicly endorsed the Conservative Party and appeared with party leader David Cameron for the launch of a civilian non-compulsory "National Service" for 16-year-olds, although Caine stated he had previously supported New Labour under the leadership of Tony Blair in 1997.[75] In July 2014, Caine was reported to have been a celebrity investor in a tax avoidance scheme called Liberty.

Check it out here »
On 6 Apr 2017 at 10:39pm We'vehadourfun wrote:
I am missing your point. Can you run that past us again please?
On 6 Apr 2017 at 10:41pm Alan the cat wrote:
Your giving me dementia with that sh#@e post.
On 6 Apr 2017 at 11:38pm Hyena wrote:
The over privileged are hypocritical. Well that's a revelation .
Speaking of which just watching DA on Question TIme.
On 7 Apr 2017 at 2:21am Deffo not. wrote:
Michael Caine`s Brexit freedom?

Watch the video »
On 7 Apr 2017 at 4:49am Poluce wrote:
Does he live in Lewes?
On 7 Apr 2017 at 7:35am Bored of you wrote:
Another newmsesque dumb post. Get a life
On 7 Apr 2017 at 9:57am Pedro wrote:
"a poor master than a rich servant" - he will be neither. He will remain a very wealthy elderly actor, although will probably be long deceased before the effects of Brexit begin to dent his enormous wealth along with the rest of the country. I don't hate the guy for having an opinion though....but he was never likely to be the among the people most heavily impacted by Brexit, given his bank balance and age.
On 7 Apr 2017 at 11:21am Clifford wrote:
Odd, they keep tell us only the poor and the badly educated supported Brexit. A bit of a blow for the self-regarding Remainers who see their support for the Goldman Sachs Europeans-only project as evidence of their superiority.
On 7 Apr 2017 at 11:31am Pedro wrote:
Clifford, I'm not sure I would say Michael Caine is well educated, and more inclined to say he is misinformed and a bit out of touch. He doesn't strike me as an intellect.

But pleased to see another mention of Goldman Sachs. I would have doubted it was you posting otherwise
On 7 Apr 2017 at 11:51am Crane wrote:
Caine is a traitor to to the working class.Clifford is just an Alt Right muppet..
On 7 Apr 2017 at 12:11pm Bored wrote:
I'm fairly sure a man of 84 years experience of this country and a world class actor is more in touch than a parochial forum bore.
On 7 Apr 2017 at 12:34pm Pedro wrote:
@bored, I am not so sure about that. Given that there are plenty of world class actors out there, who have highly dubious world views and opinions. We shouldn't yield to them due to their celebrity and fame.
On 7 Apr 2017 at 4:00pm @Bored wrote:
Despite his recent bleating's about not being able to pay rent when he was a young actor, I very much doubt Michael is "in touch with reality".
No offense to him, I seriously doubt you can be a multi millionaire (many times over) and own multiple homes and be in touch with reality.
He has proven his worth, when the chips were down and tax rates were high, he went abroad to avoid taxes - tells you everything you need to know (I think the expression is "self serving").

23 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Lewes Crest 128:143
The Lewes Crest

Google Lewes Resignalling then select Network Rail item. Shows dates more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell