Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Massive fire down the Phoenix

On 29 Mar 2014 at 6:43pm Dave wrote:
Anyone know which unit it is that's on fire down the Phoenix in Lewes?
On 29 Mar 2014 at 6:52pm guildernstern wrote:
zu studio art hole skateboard park
On 29 Mar 2014 at 6:54pm Dave wrote:
It's the Phoenix Theatre it's totally destroyed
On 29 Mar 2014 at 6:55pm Andrew wrote:
BBC TV just reported it's the phoenix theatre that's on fire. 6 fire engines at the site.
On 29 Mar 2014 at 6:59pm Dave wrote:
Pic

View the picture »
On 29 Mar 2014 at 7:18pm Clifford wrote:
Dave - your link takes me to a google account but not to a picture.

Interesting how there's a fire every time planning is in the air. The same thing happened with the 'Phoenix Quarter' fiasco.
On 29 Mar 2014 at 7:24pm Townie wrote:
I don't know, some developers will do anything to get what they want lol
On 29 Mar 2014 at 9:17pm bastian wrote:
It wa the phoenix theatre, it has absolutely burned to the ground, no one was in there, no one was injured. that was an iron frame building clad in metal sheeting, no bricks but wood inside. that's the thrid major fire here in 15 years but I'm sure many people will use it as an excuse to pull it all down, did we demand that of the brewery when it went up taking intersport with it years ago?, or of the high st when one happened there only 7 years ago? no, they just rebuilt.
they did concentrate on saving the foundary gallery, I believe the insurance is based around this kind of thinking.
It is a terrible thing to have happened, those people have put so much work in to the project.
On 29 Mar 2014 at 9:26pm Rally round wrote:
Many artists lost all their materials, not to mention works in progress and completed pieces. The recording studios lost all their equipment as well. This is massive devastation for them and they are all members of our community and largely uninsured, I fear. There is talk of organising a benefit for them. Let's rally round and do what we can.
On 29 Mar 2014 at 9:40pm TA wrote:
Not wishing to put fuel to the fire - no punt intended but may I suggest wait for the fire investigation along with the police. Ex 30 yr firefighter
On 30 Mar 2014 at 9:40am Dave wrote:
Lets hope it rises from the ashes like a ...
On 30 Mar 2014 at 12:04pm The Old Mayor wrote:
Check it out here!

Check it out here »
On 30 Mar 2014 at 2:42pm Cressida Bell wrote:
My brother Julian Bell's studio and paintings were lost in the fire - along with all the other artists work, and the theatre. I am proposing to organise a benefit evening for all affected on May 10th at my sister's barn in Barcombe. It would be a revue-type show, modelled on the one I used to organise annually for Charleston. All contributions of talent, social networking etc will be very welcome. I will post again once we are more organised.
On 30 Mar 2014 at 3:32pm bastian wrote:
That is a brilliant idea. So many people used the theatre and it was a hub for the community, lets do what ever we can to bring th phoenix back from the ashes.
The sign above the door survived.
i heard it was a wood burning stove flew, thankfully no one died or was hurt.
On 30 Mar 2014 at 5:37pm Sanarcha wrote:
I was there last night across the river, apparently a log burner mishap but as we all know something else could've happened, may go and have a little look later, get some photo's, anyone know anything else?
On 30 Mar 2014 at 5:56pm Border Control wrote:
Presumably they were all insured !
On 30 Mar 2014 at 6:31pm Convenient wrote:
It was I believe started by a woodburner ( clearly visible in a photo on their website ) but obviously it wont get rebuilt as the site is due for development at any time soon . Hopefully in the new development there will be some public buildings that this community theatre etc group can rent ( at a proper rent ) and the good works they do can continue for everyone's benefit
On 30 Mar 2014 at 6:38pm Shocked wrote:
I don't think 'being insured' is quite the same for an artists studio. Not like replacing household goods is it? Commiserations to the artists who lost everything. It must be heart breaking. Hope Lewes rallies round.
On 30 Mar 2014 at 10:24pm Border Control wrote:
That's a no then !
On 30 Mar 2014 at 10:55pm Apollo wrote:
Imagine if there had been an audience in there at the time !
On 30 Mar 2014 at 11:37pm shopkeeper wrote:
As this is a building used by the public was it not checked by the fire service for such purpose and should it not have had a sprinkler system ? . The danger here is that there a large number of people living in many of the buildings on the phoenix and should a fire have broken out in an occupied building we may have had a much more disturbing outcome .
On 31 Mar 2014 at 12:22am George Allan wrote:
Click the link below to go to the reddit post. I posted more information in the comments, also a link to a bands donation site.

Check it out here »
On 31 Mar 2014 at 12:43am Rods Tiger wrote:
shopkeeper : I'm still struggling to understand your post. You imply that all buildings used by the public should have a sprinkler system. Is that true ? Does your shop have a sprinkler system ?

On 31 Mar 2014 at 8:57am Tipex wrote:
2 days after the fire and no mention of it on the Express website, a Lewes - based paper for Lewes news. Do they have a policy of missing ALL the significant stories and just covering jumble sales?

On 31 Mar 2014 at 11:30am Andy wrote:
That's a bit harsh. They're leading with a brilliant bit of insightful journalism on a dog show in Cooksbridge. Now THAT'S news!
On 31 Mar 2014 at 12:13pm Pugh Pugh wrote:
It's on the Sussex Express website now

Check it out here »
On 31 Mar 2014 at 1:29pm bobajob wrote:
Fire Brigades are pushing for sprinkler fitting in new builds these days, but theres no requirement to have them.
They are really cheap to fit, and only the sprinkler above the fire goes off, buildings won't be drenched if someone sets of the fire alarm ect.
On 31 Mar 2014 at 3:44pm bastian wrote:
Shop keeper, all the buildings are given regular checks by the fire department, accidents can still happen, I think what has shocked people is how fast the building became engulfed in flame.
On 31 Mar 2014 at 7:06pm I was there wrote:
More worryingly, the fire exit was blocked by a matress until about 10mins before the fire started.
On 31 Mar 2014 at 7:10pm bastian wrote:
I was there to- a sofa was at the front , but not in the way of the door.
Santon charge alot of rent on untenable buildings, if anyone wants to say anything about errant landlords here. There are plenty of those in the domestic renting quatre, there'll be more once the developers take hold.
I thought charging rent on buildings that are in this state was illegal.

On 31 Mar 2014 at 10:14pm shopkeeper wrote:
I wasnt suggesting there HAD to be a sprinkler , merely wondering whether such a publicy used building should have some fire protection . Bastian , I agree about renting out substandard buildings but also if they are that bad , letting people use them rented or free should be illegal .

6 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Webbo Penny 129:132
Webbo Penny

This is a sad and infuriating subject, as so much misinformation is pushed, and the far-right lap it up as their truth. I was... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy