Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Maria Caulfield On Assisted Suicide

On 10 Sep 2015 at 9:45pm Paul Newman wrote:
Maria Caulfield (our new MP..) has written on assisted suicide and in my view she makes some sensible points . I have linked to her article but the gist is as follows :
As nurse she experienced how frail and old people can feel an implicit pressure .When their sense of their own value is undermined in the first place, precautions are after the fact . Forcing people to consider whether their lives are worth living is inherentlydangerous and safeguards will be no more reliable than the bureaucrats that tick their boxes.
A safe system in which doctors are sometimes permitted to kill their patients is impossible and despite the harrowing impact of very hard cases the issue should be considered in these human terms and not cast as a battle against religious obstruction .
I think she is right on this. It has been amply demonstrated that people will behave in dramatically different ways if they feel they are socially sanctioned . They will kill without scruple , rightly and wrongly and as the Milgram experiment shows, even torture innocents if it is sanctioned .
Personally I believe our identity and perception to be fragile things at the best of times, and on balance agree with Maria that the Marris bill should be opposed. We must say “Your life is worth living , even if you may find that hard to see right now”.
Anyway I think this is Maria`s first lengthy article it may be of interest .

Check it out here »
On 10 Sep 2015 at 10:10pm Historian wrote:
Yeah, like you're 90 yrs old and totally out of it, life can only get better !
On 11 Sep 2015 at 8:34am Jeremy wrote:
Of course the Tories are against assisted suicide for the elderly, it would really eat into their voting base
On 11 Sep 2015 at 8:49am Ben wrote:
Let the state dictate if you can live or die? It is your own body to do with as you wish. This is totalitarianism of the worst order. Can I slip away in peace? No, you must die in agony! We have decreed this!
On 11 Sep 2015 at 7:46pm Oh Gawd wrote:
Do you have an independent brain cell in your head or do you always follow the party line, Newman ?
On 11 Sep 2015 at 9:02pm Red Ken wrote:
Typical Tory spiel. YAWN.

On 13 Sep 2015 at 8:31pm ZaPPER wrote:
ZAP

On 16 Sep 2015 at 7:54pm Corbynite wrote:
Those who oppose assisted dying get to choose for everyone else. Sounds fair.

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Downward dog 33:132
Downward dog

Well it looks as if I can jet off soon , none of the loud mouths with nothing behind them have anything to say, all piss and wind... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy