Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

March For Remain Saturday June 18th 10.30 AM

On 12 Jun 2016 at 11:03am PN wrote:
I voted against Norman Baker but I always thought he was a decent MP and a good man. Really excellent to see that he is putting his weight behind the Remain Campaign at the March For Remain Event on the 18th of June.
The Co-speaker is "Queen of Progressive Politics" Polly Toynbee so a great chance to see one of the great political writers of our time in action ( drives me crackers usually ).A few words are promised .
With the last poll showing a swing to Brexit and our rights services and economy facing catastrophe , every vote counts.
The charming and surprisingly well preserved John Stockdale, who many of us have met, is the contact and all are welcome.
Conservative Liberal Labour together, Save our jobs save our services save our rights !
VOTE REMAIN
On 12 Jun 2016 at 11:36am You're welcome wrote:
You're welcome your opinion, but stop being a drama queen. You life is obviously quite sad, you pretend to worry about the majority and don't realise the majority will decide. You are doing remain no favour with your continual spam.
On 12 Jun 2016 at 2:18pm busby wrote:
The E.U is a disaster. It's going down the pan, why would anyone with any common sense wish to remain. They don't listen to us, they only want our money. I don't know about march but I do know they walk all over us.
On 12 Jun 2016 at 2:25pm Mark wrote:
Re: pn... My guess is that he's in an industry that's particularly vulnerable. No rational person could possibly be interested in the whole thing to quite this extent.
On 12 Jun 2016 at 2:39pm For Europe, Against EU wrote:
Good video explaining the facts.
Our future is global, democraticl and open to the world not tied to a declining anti democratic customs union imposing misery upon the people of Europe..

Watch the video »
On 12 Jun 2016 at 4:18pm Mark wrote:
In any case, I'm officially predicting that Brexit will win and then a new deal will be negotiated. It won't be complex or time-consuming because it will be almost exactly the same deal that we've got now. The 3 things that this government is good at are protecting the FSI, shifting money upwards and deceiving the public over the EU. Do we all recall the PM announcing that he absolutely wasn't going to pay the Contribution a couple of years ago. Weeks of him doing "tough negotiating". He came back proudly waving a document - a document that allowed us to pay in 2 instalments. And then there was his recent farcical renegotiation.
On 12 Jun 2016 at 5:27pm Trooper wrote:
@PN A march for remain. In the words of Mr John McInroe the tennis ace,"You cannot be serious" and to add insult to injury to state that Polly Toynbee is one of the great political writers of our time defies all intelligence.
Question, A march from where to where to prove what ??
Look out people, the lunatics are trying to take over the asylum.
As I have said before on this forum your stock in trade is claptrap.
On 12 Jun 2016 at 5:33pm Clifford wrote:
Anything that unites the Tory, Labour and Lib Dem parties, the banks, big business, trade union leaders, is clearly asking to be rejected. It's interesting that the more people and organisations tell us we must remain in the EU, the more support for leaving grows.
On 12 Jun 2016 at 5:58pm Bert wrote:
I thought Polly was at her Tuscany villa sunning herself and sucking lemons
Perhaps she's popping over for the weekend to honour us

Refugees not welcome and vote out
On 12 Jun 2016 at 7:58pm Disrupted wrote:
Where will this be going from and to , and via , Just so I can organise my family's life around this disruption , just askin no g ,
On 12 Jun 2016 at 9:59pm my town wrote:
vote out for the young boys and girls of this green land
On 13 Jun 2016 at 6:01am in town wrote:
So where is this March starting from then or is it a secret or a figment of your imagination? Like one of the earlier posters has said, I'd like to avoid the disruption as I'm in the town on Saturday.

On 13 Jun 2016 at 7:19am Neville Chamberlain wrote:
Beware P.M.'s waving documents.
On 13 Jun 2016 at 9:43am John Stockdale wrote:
Yes. The Remain March next Saturday starts at 10.30 from the Eastern car park at County Hall. It will come down the High Street go round the back of the Precinct because there is a farmers' market and end on Cliffe Bridge. Norman and Polly have confirmed. Other well known people from across the political spectrum committed to Remain have been asked and we'll post names when they are known.
There are arguments on both sides and it is stupid to claim otherwise. But the weight of arguments is, for me, overwhelming in favour of Remain. The one forecast which is virtually guaranteed is that whatever the result that emerges on Friday week, it will make a huge difference to the kind of country we live in over the next few decades.
The Remain Campaign in Lewes has been led by Matthew Spencer who is not openly party political. Greens and Labour are involved as well as Lib Dems and we would like to make contact with pro-Remain Tories. If you are in favour of Remain, come out and march with us. The Remain campaign has been far too restrained and here's your chance to help us put a bit of oomph into it.
On 13 Jun 2016 at 10:20am EU empire wrote:
you're a joke mate - give us one of your supposed arguments?
On 13 Jun 2016 at 11:05am Redballs wrote:
Is it going to be like the raft race where you all dress up and we throw eggs and Flour at you.
On 13 Jun 2016 at 11:31am Dragon wrote:
So the great and the good will be there marching (please try not to snigger at the back).
Isn't it going to be a bit crowded on Cliffe bridge with Baker, Toynbee, Stockdale and Newman's egos.
But tell me again how they represent us. No.....That's because they don't.

On 13 Jun 2016 at 1:06pm Clifford wrote:
Desperate stuff. Isn't it amazing how the referendum campaign has revealed that all the main parties support the EU neo-liberal project, along with the banks that dragged us down in 2008? Reason enough to vote Leave.
On 13 Jun 2016 at 2:12pm Lopster wrote:
Unable to make my mind up BUT...
TTIP will be an absolute disaster for democracy - and our current way of life - and for the worse; it is the final unacceptable step of global Capitalism and should be stopped.
IF staying in Europe means we have a better chance of fighting TTIP (which I believe it will) then I will vote in.
If we can guarantee a non-Tory government by voting out, which means we have a chance of fighting TTIP, then I will vote out.
I would like someone to speak up about it from either camp though.
On 13 Jun 2016 at 2:20pm Breave wrote:
Hope you've not forgotten to invite that loveley Lady from Brighton with the Pink hair who was at the Boxing day meet shouting and swearing and calling the children scum.
Now that would cause a splash.
On 13 Jun 2016 at 8:21pm Miss Anne Thrope wrote:
All the usual suspects I imagine, sometimes there isn't enough room in your front window for remain, phoenix rising and refugees welcome posters.
On 13 Jun 2016 at 10:20pm Wait a sec wrote:
Why don't dig out Gordon Brown to really get the people on your side?? Oh , hang on a minuet…
On 13 Jun 2016 at 10:52pm Hal wrote:
Why all the abuse towards PN? You wouldn't call him this in real life would you? And stop feeding the trolls on the other thread. Be calm and it will be removed. I will be voting leave because I have been given a choice. Everyone is going to vote one way or the other. Respect their decision.

On 14 Jun 2016 at 3:27am hold on wrote:
PN has been pretty generous in giving abuse to Southern conductors calling them "underworked and overpaid arseholes" who weren't capable of stacking shelves in a supermarket. I bet he wouldn't call them that face to face in real life either......

On 14 Jun 2016 at 7:49am Bubbles de ville wrote:
Hurrah!
Polly's coming. Will there be champers and canapés.
Is Gordy the Gold merchant going to be there or perhaps Mandy and Hilary?
Happyshopper cola for everyone.
On 14 Jun 2016 at 8:15am European Man wrote:
Brexit - a classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face

On 14 Jun 2016 at 8:53am Mark2 wrote:
Clifford your posts are a breath of fresh air. There is a smugness in the promotion of this March that can only hurt its message. It's perfectly possible to want the UK to leave an idealogically driven economic organisation that is in crisis and to use reasonable argument in doing so. I'm not a little Englander and consider myself part of Europe - just not part of a neoliberal bureaucratic European club that is hell bent on creating a two tier 'Europe' and will exercise brutal punishments on countries in order to do so. This proposed march assumes my compliance and in doing so makes me uncomfortable. It will be worth watching the outcome of the Spanish elections. It is very possible that Podemos will end up holding the balance of power. Spain is the 4th wealthiest EU country. How will that pan out when the EU club use their crushing powers honed in Greece to rein in the new Spanish Government?
On 14 Jun 2016 at 9:27am Observer wrote:
Clifford, Mark2 - read this if you think you're going to get a less neoliberal Britain...

Check it out here »
On 14 Jun 2016 at 10:00am Metatron wrote:
Quite agree Mark 2. There cannot be anything more smug than someone who can afford multiple houses, pontificating to theplebiscites of Lewes who cannot now afford a home and have to work for minimum' 'how good they v'e got it'.
I think this may backfire spectaculy.
John Stockdale isn't a bad chap but he may be a bit naive to think that this is a good idea.
Lewes now has an underclass that no one represents particularly not Ms Toynbee.
On 14 Jun 2016 at 2:18pm SkyFall wrote:
John, I think Owen Jones now has a lot of free space in has diary for Saturday.
On 14 Jun 2016 at 6:37pm Clifford wrote:
Lopster wrote: 'IF staying in Europe means we have a better chance of fighting TTIP (which I believe it will) then I will vote in.'

Isn't that a bit illogical? TTIP only involves the US and the EU. If the UK leaves the EU then the UK isn't involved any longer. If the UK stays in the EU and the agreement goes through, we're part of it.

On 16 Jun 2016 at 11:09pm A voter writes wrote:
I think the point, Clifford, is that the deal we (eventually) end up getting as a small offshore island will be TTIP++. Why would anyone think that a millionaire commodity trader son of a stockbroker (Farage) or a man so principled that he thought the EU was the greatest thing since sliced bread only a couple of years ago until it suited him to change his tune (Johnson) will negotiate anything other than a complete submission to corporate greed for our sceptred isle is beyond me.

As things stand currently, TTIP is under pan-European pressure and may well die the Death of a Thousand Cuts with pressure from individual countries for things to be removed or watered down. The UK's own special TTIP will be negotiated from a position of weakness, and with considerably less patriotic resistance. It won't be pretty.

5 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Swan penny 112:132
Swan penny

I think it is unlikely that the IMF will be involved at all in our deficit Tom. The government have offered to give lots of money... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
The great thing about the Lewes Forum is it's up to date and lively, you don't have to wait a month to get out of date news
Clarissa