Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Malling Street Lewes

On 23 Jan 2016 at 10:59am LTLR wrote:
Malling Street is open both ways.
Well done to the work man, only 2weeks.
On 24 Jan 2016 at 6:22am Puzzled wrote:
To do what, install 2 currently non working traffic lights?
On 24 Jan 2016 at 2:24pm Even more puzzled wrote:
Good that work was actually mostly done in two weeks although noisy work went on till past eleven on Friday night so that Malling St could re-open on Saturday. But as the above poster says, the lights haven't been activated so currently no way to cross the road! And where is the promised signage warning drivers to slow down? A few people will get a nasty surprise when the lights do start to work. Of course Sussex Police could enforce the 30mph speed limit. I dream on, but it would be nice to cross the road to get to work without being worried about being flattened by a lorry!
On 24 Jan 2016 at 2:38pm Rob wrote:
Proper pedestrian crossing needed further down nearer to Cuilfail Tunnel, plus speed limit enforcement.
On 25 Jan 2016 at 9:01am Slarty wrote:
@Even more puzzled - perhaps that is why they have not been switched on yet, not all the accompanying details put in place.
On 25 Jan 2016 at 9:40am JMMM wrote:
Let's see how the traffic flows. I suspect the new crossing will mainly be used during school hours by families trying to get to school. Perhaps it will prove more useful than that. What is it going to do to the traffic flow in both directions? Would it be useful to take representation to ESCC Highways about a more permanent diversion via Brooks Road. There could still be North flowing traffic as far as Orchard Road for access to homes and businesses (and the new M&S Food of course) but the bulk of the traffic could just go out of town via Brooks Road and Church Lane. Without having to wait for lights at the top of Church lane the traffic flowed really well. If only people turning right at Earwig Corner would stay properly in the middle of the road and allow traffic on the A26 headed towards Uckfield to get past, that would help. I don't think people really understand that there is plenty of room for three cars at that point and they should stop hogging the road and let others pass. Anything to keep the blaster traffic moving!

On 26 Jan 2016 at 8:59am Ed Can Do wrote:
The new crossing is in a bit of weird spot, it would have made sense to me to put it higher up the road if it's for people taking kids to school or lower if it's for people shopping at Pets at Home. I guess they're constrained by where all the little turn offs are though, I'm sure there are rules about sighting a crossing near to a junction.

Continuing to send traffic up Brooks Road and Church Lane is a silly idea, firstly because you'd be diverting a major traffic flow past a primary school and secondly because once the people leaving work traffic meets the people going to Tesco after picking up the kids traffic the whole area becomes impassable. Also if you did do that there'd need to be a pedestrian crossing at the bottom of the bridge, or the police would need to start fining people for not using their indicators as it was incredibly dicey trying to cross the road there while the roadworks were in place.

On 28 Jan 2016 at 9:33am PO wrote:
Pointless crossing that will hardly ever be used! How much did that cost? The money would have been better spent improving earwig corner to sort out the mess that it is!

29 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Normans Helmet 94:132
Normans Helmet

I donít claim anything

I merely posted what a friend of mine wrote to his mp.

I made no indication that I disbelieve or... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams