Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Malling Hill

On 27 Apr 2017 at 12:25pm Just me wrote:
Anyone know what is causing the slow traffic? I assume its probably something at Earwig Corner but wondering if I need to take an alternative route?
TIA
On 27 Apr 2017 at 12:43pm Just me wrote:
Just seen highways information and there is 4-way lights there again. Looks like it'll be there over the b/hol weekend
On 27 Apr 2017 at 1:24pm Slarty wrote:
YES - take alternative route, especially if coming into Lewes from Uckfield or Ringmer, but North bound is bad too.
On 27 Apr 2017 at 5:04pm MA wrote:
How many for f'in times are UKPN going to cause complete chaos until its fixed. F'IN IDIOTS!
On 27 Apr 2017 at 5:08pm Road to Hell wrote:
This is the third or fourth time in as many months. I was 20 minutes late picking up both of my sons from school and had their office phoning to see where I was. Nice to be given notice! Not looking forward to tomorrow.
On 27 Apr 2017 at 6:29pm Resident wrote:
The last time they dug up the road here was Jan 2016 I think. They're digging in exactly the same place. Probably bodged it last time and have come back to fix it again.
On 27 Apr 2017 at 8:17pm Propublictransport wrote:
Personally, living on Malling Hill I'd advise most drivers to avoid the A26, especially boy racers and others who speed, just because they can, and want to, plus the arrogant heavy goods lorries that roar up the hill not giving a sh* t about the fact that people live here and feel their houses shake, not to mention the pollution and noise. Not everyone is an inconsiderate jerk of course, but there are too many vehicles on this road, and too many driving habits that are inappropriate in a residential area. We need a new ring road, and some responsible council oversight for this road, and other entrance roads into Lewes. I'd extend the argument to towns like Newhaven which have been badly affected by traffic and council planning. But getting back to the road works. No warning and buggered up the buses today making me miss a hospital appointment. If I'd known, I would have taken the train, but that would mean having a council that gives a sh* t about the people who pay for it. The text messaging service for bus times is not working and hasn't for weeks, and we don't have enough digital bus due signs. Why? Because if we did more people would use the buses and ESCC would have to pay for bus shelters and so on... It's rubbish, the problem with ESCC iHighways Department is that it is now mainly privatised. It's not about you or me, but about short-term cost-cutting by ESCC and our lovely caring government, and making someone a nice wedge of dosh so that they can buy a nice car and speed along country lanes to their quiet house in the countryside...or second home in France or Italy...
On 27 Apr 2017 at 8:25pm Tommy wrote:
It was dug up in August 16
On 28 Apr 2017 at 9:20am Devolved Responsibility wrote:
Of course, pinning down who is responsible for this incompetence isn't always easy, as the works are often sub-contracted out by the agency responsible, and the staff manning the "contact us" numbers shown on works boards have little clue as to the issues at each and every location where they, or their subbies, are digging holes.
LDC, ESCC and Highways England (or whatever they are called) are responsible for different roads in the area, and presumable for talking to each other (or not) so as to try to schedule works so that they cause a little disruption s possible... so, finding someone who is actually responsible for major disruption is like grabbing a the correct eel out of many eels swimming in a bucket of oil....
Earwig corner, and Prison Cross roads are strangling the town every rush hour - a link from a new roundabout Earwig across the valley river to a new roundabout A275 somewhere between Landport Fork and Cooksbridge, and then on through/under the Downs to join the A27 at Ashcombe roundabout would provide a useful northern bypass and reduce traffic between Earwig and Southerham roundabout, and also reduce traffic using Prison crossroads to get form A275 to Ashcombe. But in times of austerity, and with a no doubt huge objections from the environmentalists who won't want a causeway across step Ouse plain, nor a tunnel/cutting under the Downs behind Nevill/Houndean I cannot see that happening anytime soon.
Maybe the only hope is that pollution/air quality legislation may force ESCC/Highways England to have to do something as air quality on Malling Hill, and around Prison crossroads must be really poor during rush hours.

28 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Skate Park 104:132
Skate Park

How come the "Last Post" doesn't show up on the forum page? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine