Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

M. Thatchers Funeral

On 13 Apr 2013 at 4:31pm Straw Poll wrote:
Unscientific of course, but vote A or B to the following:
Should the above event be:
A: a private funeral for friends, colleagues and family only
or
B: A state funeral funded by the tax payer as is actually happening.
On 13 Apr 2013 at 5:07pm Witch Hunter wrote:
An unscientific 'A' of course
On 13 Apr 2013 at 5:11pm betterdeadthanred wrote:
A resounding 'B'
On 13 Apr 2013 at 5:32pm drone wrote:
An even more resounding A
On 13 Apr 2013 at 5:39pm Splat wrote:
A deafening A
On 13 Apr 2013 at 6:04pm Liberal soul wrote:
A. I rarely get really angry, but this is p*ssing me off bigtime. Respect her for her conviction, passion and success, despise her for her goals and methods, and get her in the ground as quickly and discreetly as possible.
On 13 Apr 2013 at 6:12pm Southover Queen wrote:
World-shattering mortar A.
Attlee's funeral was a small affair attended by 150 friends and family, yet he was at least as transformational a PM as Thatcher.
Peter Oborne - no friend of the left, he - thinks it's a bad idea too, interestingly enough.

Check it out here »
On 13 Apr 2013 at 6:14pm Townie wrote:
B
On 13 Apr 2013 at 6:41pm Cliffe Hanger wrote:
B. largely because A. is impossible.
To suggest that Attlee was as "transformational" (is that a word?) as Mrs T is nonsense. Are we arguing about his impact on society today? No.
On 13 Apr 2013 at 6:42pm idler wrote:
Not keen on big funerals myself. If you want to honour her ideas then it should be a small ceremony paid for by herself in a Methodist chapel. Except the methodists are now a sort of oxfam organisation who are a little bit religious. She made a lot of noise about supporting small business etc but in fact was happy to hand over the country to vested interests and soon started swanning about like the Queen of Sheba. I wish we could forget about personalities and focus on policy and try and figure out what to do with millions of unskilled,unfit people who are incapable of earning anything like what they have already cost the rest of us. And the sooner her son leaves the country the better.
On 13 Apr 2013 at 6:46pm Cliffe Hanger wrote:
PS. What all of this has to do with the town that I love, I do not know.
On 13 Apr 2013 at 6:58pm Southover Queen wrote:
(Cliffe Hanger: "To suggest that Attlee was as "transformational" (is that a word?) as Mrs T is nonsense. Are we arguing about his impact on society today? No."
Do you know who Clement Attlee was??!?! The PM under whom the NHS was set up, who set up the Welfare State, the Children Act, huge programme of house building, universal state education etc etc etc? Of course we're arguing about his impact on society. And yes, transformational is definitely a word)
On 13 Apr 2013 at 7:10pm Kettle wrote:
A
On 13 Apr 2013 at 7:13pm Clifford wrote:
A. I detested her politics, respected her ability, and feel sympathy for her family. I think most people on the left probably feel like that.
On 13 Apr 2013 at 7:23pm Rods_Tiger wrote:
It's not going to be a state funeral.
On 13 Apr 2013 at 7:39pm Cliffe Hanger wrote:
Yes SQ, I do know who Clement Attlee was. But thank you all the same.

On 13 Apr 2013 at 7:47pm Em wrote:
A. I agree with Clifford.
On 13 Apr 2013 at 7:58pm grafter wrote:
I am bemused as to why those who are making a big noise about hating Thatcher are bothering now she is dead. This seems a bizarre kind of moral exhibitionism,an acting out of an emotional agenda unrelated to any concrete political goals. Its so much easier to rant and rave than actually build anything meaningful.
On 13 Apr 2013 at 8:07pm No Pot Pourri wrote:
She did the damage when she was in power. Now that she is dead those who disagreed with her are being told to show her respect, which I don't.
On 13 Apr 2013 at 10:54pm footymum26 wrote:
A huge B

On 14 Apr 2013 at 12:01am Mr P Pimple wrote:

To use the Conservative Party's language:
Its a prime example of how these 'SCUM' 'SCROUNGE' off the Nation.
On 14 Apr 2013 at 12:19am my town wrote:
A big A
On 14 Apr 2013 at 6:54am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
A.
She was married to a miionaire, had a big fat pension, made shedloads from speaking engagements, sales of memoirs etc, and had a multi-million pound house in Belgravia.
The family should have whatever sort of fuenral they want abd thel expenses should be paid for from her estate.
On 14 Apr 2013 at 6:56am Harry wrote:
A Can anyone else see the irony of this champion of privatisation being sent off using public money.
On 14 Apr 2013 at 8:05am jtsussex wrote:
A definite "B" for me, her place in history when we have all passed on is secure which is not true for all politicians. I take the point in relation to Attlee and would not argue against it but history does not remember him to the extent that it does Churchill for example and will in the future record Thatcher's leadership in the 80's. No other politicians apart from those two have received the honour of such funerals.
As to the cost large figures will be bandied about by the left but as I said in a discussion just yesterday, in relation to that matter, the armed forces that will be on parade at the funeral are our armed forces and whether they are in London at the funeral or back in their barracks the cost is there, other than the transportation costs there is no additional cost. The same applies to the police, they are paid police officers in any case with no additional cost other than those doing overtime. There are of course other areas of costs that will be accountable but all those mentioned will be included in the final figure but are not in truth costs to the taxpayer, we are paying them anyway.
On 14 Apr 2013 at 8:27am Sussex Jim wrote:
Attlee did right by introducing the welfare state, the NHS and nationalisation of the railways worn out from the war. But by the end of the sixties the state sector was being propped up by billions of pounds in subsidies employing millions of disillusioned workers who regularly turned to the communist-infiltrated unions to call strikes for higher pay.
Margaret Thatcher changed all that. She was on the side of the working man, and encouraged everyone to become property owning share dealing capitalists, by way of legislation to allow tenants to buy their social housing and the privatisation of the state monopolies.
Definitely a "B" to the funeral. The £75 billion refund she obtained from the EU more than covers the few odd millions the day will cost us. By the way, it will be a grander event than the humble grocer's daughter wanted. But a chance for the nation to pay respect to the lady who saved Britain by not turning.
On 14 Apr 2013 at 8:56am Pete wrote:
A? A?
On 14 Apr 2013 at 10:34am Mr P Pimple wrote:
£10 million for Thatchers funeral!
As I said before the Conservative Party and the majority of their supporters are a bunch of scroungers that are intent on bleeding this Country dry! No other word for them SCUM..
On 14 Apr 2013 at 3:08pm In a TV programme this m wrote:
On TV this morning I quote, "many figures as to the funeral costs are being bandied about, the most popular being £10m, the true cost will be much lower than that".
On 14 Apr 2013 at 4:38pm Frak wrote:
Quite interesting to hear the 'right' thinking people on hear using the argument that it won't cost that much as everyone would be getting paid anyway. I bet the next time there is a demonstration/other event etc not involving their hero, that argument will be forgotten and it will all be about how much money is lost and the drop in work output.
On 14 Apr 2013 at 4:46pm The old mayor wrote:
Don't people have short memories. When she came to power Britain had no electricity -power cuts every day, rubbish piled up in the street, think these cuts are bad - there was NO SERVICE let alone cuts ! The country was being held to ransom. No mortgages available . Someone had to take charge and sort it out. And if those mines were so crucial, why didn't Labour reopen them ? We could certainly do with that coal now !
On 14 Apr 2013 at 6:04pm Mr P Pimple wrote:
Get Real 3 - 6 or 10 Million Pounds is a ludicrous amount of money to be spending on a monsters funeral?
Cameron rightly believes he won't get in at the next election. So he's totally destroying our Public Services. In doing this it will take years trying to sort the Conservatives mess before there's any chance of getting those services back in the same state. It's Cameron's divide the Country and run with the money policy!
Leaving the honest and hardworking people in the sh_t!
On 14 Apr 2013 at 6:06pm Nixon Scraypes wrote:
Why didn't labour reopen the mines? Because they're all the same,just different faces carrying out different tasks.If we had our own coal mines we would be more self sufficient,more independant,now we are inter-dependant,a warm and fluffy way of saying controllable.Oh dear, I forgot about all that carbon dioxide,you know the stuff that makes plants grow.Not being confident enough of our stupidity they are taxing what we exhale,when they've got away with that for long enough they will tax the air we breath.
On 14 Apr 2013 at 6:13pm Sussex Jim wrote:
I will be taking Wednesday off to watch the funeral on TV and pay my respects. I would have liked to be in London to show my solidarity; to swell the numbers and perhaps turn my back on a protest, like a true Englishman. Unfortunately, a lifetimes toil has taken its toll on my lower limbs and I can no longer stand around in the streets. But I salute the Iron Lady for allowing me to progress from a wage slave to running my own business, from my own home, for a quarter of a century.
Perhaps more importantly, I can pass any assets down to my children, and grandchildren: for they are into an uncertain time unless we get a similar leader soon.
On 14 Apr 2013 at 6:54pm Jrsussex wrote:
If the Labour administration, in power for 13yrs, had not allowed the unbridled recruitment of thousands of local authority unnecessary staff, remember some of the utterly ridiculous job-titles, the coalition would not have had to make the drastic public service cuts that they did. I'm not their greatest fan but it had to be done, I remember when the job applications page in local newspapers all over the UK were almost exclusively filled with positions with local authorities.

2 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Homeward bound 44:143
Homeward bound

It just bothers me that anyone thinks that they or the government have the right to tell me what I can put in my own body. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy