Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

MS Vista Home Premium

On 12 Sep 2014 at 9:27am John Stockdale wrote:
My 2007 Dell computer has been hacked and I am locked out of it by a password placed on it by the hackers. Dell have asked me to reinstall Windows, but I don't have the disc(s). The computer came with Windows pre-installed and I don't think I ever had them. Can anyone lend me MS Vista Home Premium disc(s) so I can get started again? 01273 476151. Fortunately, I have all my data on a removable drive, a backup and an iPad. But I still feel an idiot.
On 12 Sep 2014 at 1:04pm Bill Gates wrote:
Is there a computer shop in Lewes ?- won`t cost much . Can`t help as I haven`t a clue about computers

On 12 Sep 2014 at 1:23pm Cliffe Hanger wrote:
If it came with no installation discs then you should be able to do a factory reset (a copy of what the computer looked like when you bought it should be hidden away on your hard disk somewhere). Do you see a message during the boot process - before it gets to the Windows Vista loading screen - about pressing a key for options? It is normally 'del', or possibly one of the function keys.

On 12 Sep 2014 at 1:56pm Deelite 2 wrote:
I'd really not bother re-installing Vista. Even Microsoft admit it's a mess. Windows 7 is far superior. Your computer will run faster and there will be fewer annoying alerts. Then install the free Microsoft Security Essentials for virus protection and you're away. You computer will seem like new.
On 12 Sep 2014 at 2:22pm John Stockdale wrote:
Thanks all. I'll try some or all of these suggestions.
On 12 Sep 2014 at 2:46pm trooper wrote:
I totally agree with "Deelite 2" Vista is a disaster, Windows 7 is excellent, I am sure you will be very impressed with the difference.
On 12 Sep 2014 at 3:24pm Mark wrote:
It would be breach of copyright for me or anyone else to offer to lend you my, or indeed their, Windows 7 installation cd.
On 12 Sep 2014 at 4:27pm computer bloke wrote:
Mark - No it would not be a breach of copyright. You can easily download, lend, give these CDs perfectly legally. It is the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) usually found on the stcker attached to your computer which cannot be transferred - once Windows is installed, (from whatever source) this is the serial number that needs to be provided online for Windows to work.
You can buy a Windows 7 install disk (with genuine COA) on Amazon for about 60
On 12 Sep 2014 at 4:35pm The Anti-Hacker wrote:
If you have another PC (or access to one) then you can burn a CD and use the guide linked to get at the password. Disconnect the PC from the internet first then run anti-virus, anti-malware and remove any programs that could be used for remote access (such as Team Viewer).
If you're happy they can't get back in then no need to do anything else, if you're not happy then at least you'll be able to save your files and then wipe the PC.

Check it out here »

On 12 Sep 2014 at 7:59pm John Stockdale wrote:
Very patient and helpful bloke at Dell Support sent me a 32bit Vista disc and talked me through restoring a setting of my original Windows before the hacker put a password on my PC. So I am back in without losing all my software. Took ages. Thanks a million everyone for very helpful advice. It sounds as if I ought to buy a copy of Windows 7 - or a newer computer.

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Cathedral 63:132
Lewes Cathedral

Given the amount of vitriol aimed at Viva Lewes over the years, I'm surprised that nobody has come on here to celebrate its... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the way streets have street parties!!!!!!!
JoJo