frame-src 'self' data:

Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lovely article on Lewes in FT

On 15 Sep 2018 at 6:42am Jennifer wrote:
A beautiful article in the Financial Times sums up why my family and I moved down here. Apart from a few problems related to locals not having proper standards, it's all true. This is what we've found. You all should be proud of this. It's lovely. It's OUR town with its "merry flonkers never downcast for long".
“It’s quirky, bohemian.”
The town is popular with Londoners, which has helped move property prices upward. “We call it Little London,” says Mark Taylor of Savills. For many, Lewes is a stepping stone between countryside and city, and a quieter, more affordable alternative to nearby Brighton. “It’s much smaller, but it still has some buzz,” says Taylor. For £800,000 in Brighton, you’ll find a two-bedroom flat with sea view, while for the same price in Lewes you can buy a period townhouse or a detached house on the outskirts.
Darren Middleton of Hamptons International adds: “It has all the feel of countryside community without being too much of a culture shock for metropolitan types.”
...The village of Kingston is popular with those working at the nearby universities of Sussex and Brighton. A nine-bedroom 16th-century manor house with 3.7 acres is on the market there for £3.8m, with Brand Vaughan.
Middleton claims Lewes, with its transport connections, setting and distinctive customs, is in a better position than other towns to weather the storm. “Nowhere is immune, as we have seen, but Lewes is more bombproof than most places,” says Taylor. The market is likely to remain subdued, as long as the capital remains uncertain. But the vibrant atmosphere is unlikely to be diminished: the merry flonkers of Lewes are never downcast for long.
On 15 Sep 2018 at 8:06am cliffe wrote:
Why would they call it Little London when there is a village with that name not far away. Confusing.
On 15 Sep 2018 at 8:12am Happiness wrote:

Has the writer even been to Lewes?

I'm glad Lewes is nothing like London.
On 15 Sep 2018 at 8:52am Dan wrote:
Locals not having proper standards? WTF?
On 15 Sep 2018 at 9:24am Jennifer wrote:
The standards I refer to are mostly connected with service, formality and deference. And there's still not a proper restaurant in Lewes, but I suppose that's what London is for, and why we've kept a house on there for when our eldest wants to settle.
On 15 Sep 2018 at 10:04am LewesM wrote:
What ignorance from the FT and thread starter
On 15 Sep 2018 at 10:06am RinGull wrote:
What an awful article. The comments about proper standards show the ignorance and arrogance of some Londoners full force. Also congratulations for contributing to the housing/population crisis down here by keeping a home in London too. People like you are the reason I can’t afford to buy in my home town. Cheers
On 15 Sep 2018 at 10:10am Earl of Lewess wrote:
@Dan - 'Jennifer' is a clever p*ss take of certain people who move to Lewes and while I enjoy the posts, I also derive some pleasure from seeing people take the bait, every time.
On 15 Sep 2018 at 10:15am RinGull wrote:
Must admit I did wonder if it was someone taking the mick. But the point still stands on the article, a sales pitch to Londoners is not what this town (and county) needs more of.
On 15 Sep 2018 at 10:40am Mark wrote:
Most Londoners have a very strong sense of identity with their town. "When a man is tired of London he is tired of life" and all that. I'd imagine that the ones who are moving down are being priced out and will be doing so with a twinge of sadness as they displace people who are being priced out of Lewes.
On 15 Sep 2018 at 11:18am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
£3.8m for Kingston Manor? For that money, I'd want somewhere I can't hear the hum of A27 traffic or have ramblers gazing into my garden, albeit from quite a distance.
Nice walled garden, but the decor is a little vulgar. It looks like it's bee "done up" by the sort of person who buys their own furniture.
On 15 Sep 2018 at 11:35am Green Sleeves wrote:
The best thing about Lewes is this forum and it's rather strange contrived characters.
On 15 Sep 2018 at 12:12pm Mister Detached wrote:
Having recently moved here from London, I'm just thankful I live in the riverside, warehouse sized apartment, which means my view is of the sleepy streets of ancient Lewes, while yours is now of my massive, ostentatious showcase of a brilliantly lit window into my show-off life, which this town was sorely missing. It is my stage, you are my audience. Thank you.
On 15 Sep 2018 at 12:15pm Nob wrote:
Bring back my old lewes
On 15 Sep 2018 at 2:05pm end wrote:
Old Lewes ended 1973
On 15 Sep 2018 at 3:12pm @Mr Detached wrote:
Nice try Mr detached, but there are no views of sleepy ancient streets from either riverside development. You might get a view of the back of Argos and the drinkers in JHT from one side, or you might get a view of the back of the Premier Inn and the druggies passed out in the toilets from the other side. You might also get a view of an electricity sub station or maybe the 80's council flats further along the river. If you are very lucky you might have a view of the Railway Lands but thats about it....No sleepy ancient streets.
On 15 Sep 2018 at 3:32pm Stonemam wrote:
UGH
On 15 Sep 2018 at 5:16pm Amon Wildes wrote:
What’s with this ‘old Lewes’ ending in ‘73?! Nonsense. Lewes has evolved like all small towns of similar size and make up. Mostly they have evolved for the better. What sort of person wants to remain in 1973 for god’s sake in Lewes or anywhere? Those who wish to remain in 1973 have short memories - 3 day week, power cuts, shocking Tory Government. Oh wait - it sounds like 2019 could be another 1973. Perhaps End, you will get your wish after all.
On 15 Sep 2018 at 5:28pm arthur wrote:
And in "The Guardian" magazine too.
On 15 Sep 2018 at 7:52pm curious wrote:
Bit curious. In both newspapers, similar slant. Product placement from upmarket estate agents feeling the pinch? Mind, I'm half joking.
On 15 Sep 2018 at 11:29pm Remainer wrote:
Jennifer is completely right about our lovely town, much improved as it is by the more educated and hard-working kind of person moving in. If only there were some way we could persuade the oafish Brexit voters to leave.
On 16 Sep 2018 at 12:14am Prideux wrote:
"londoners" haven't lived in London for decades. The east enders moved to Essex, the south Londoners went to Kent etc. The people moving out of London now moved there to make money after university, then they move out so their children aren't bullied for being like their parents. They in turn will probably move to London after university.... Or maybe somewhere more prosperous
On 16 Sep 2018 at 6:36am Road, Eastbourne wrote:
With your name you're not local enough. Kind regards.
On 16 Sep 2018 at 3:13pm @Green Sleeves wrote:
Oh no! Green Sleeves has used an apostrophe when non was necessary!

On 17 Sep 2018 at 8:51am @@Green Sleeves wrote:
Non ? None so blind that don't spellcheck.

12 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Bottleneck 113:132
The Bottleneck

Motorists expectations need to be reduced. The idea that you should be able to drive everywhere at 60mph is unrealistic and they... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde