Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Louis Theroux Alcohol documentary

On 25 Apr 2016 at 9:16am Sobering wrote:
Did anyone see this last night and have any insights to share from this thought provoking documentary and how it applies to our own lives in Lewes? I thought it was excellent and although it was hard to watch at times, it did what Louis does best by casting a non-judgemental eye on the tip of the iceberg of an epidemic problem that touches most peoples lives at some point. It is the age old question of what do you do with the hopeless drunk who damages themselves and others around them?
I feel that Louis addressed this problem as he does with most of his subjects with a compassionate existentialism. The dilemma being in this case that when drinking has got to such a point that freedom of choice is removed by the addiction then where do you go from there?
On 25 Apr 2016 at 10:30am Resilewes wrote:
I caught the last 20 minutes of it. Will have to watch the full thing later today but was very interesting.
Alcoholism is about as destructive as it gets (for both personal health and impact on society), and I have every sympathy for those people struggling with their addiction. I agree Louis demonstrated his class and compassion towards people at their lowest ebb and at least at the end there was some hope for the participants in this programme.
I think our society has a pretty toxic and overly familiar/comfortable relationship with alcohol that was always going to end up with tragic consequences. 9k deaths per year directly linked to alcohol (NOT including car accidents, violence etc whilst under the influence) and 10% of the burden of disease and death in the UK stems from alcohol (source : alcohol concern)
Life can be difficult or stressful for many of us, and we often need a release or way of relaxation, and small amounts of alcohol does help, but its an addictive and destructive drug (one of the most of any kind). If our government had any sense of responsibility, they would raise costs of alcohol further, and as they did with tobacco make advertising illegal so that we and our children aren't bombarded with it. We ingrain into the population the perils of drugs like cannabis, mushrooms, LSD and ecstasy - drugs which are far more benign (particularly the former) and offer genuine medicinal benefits (as well as being naturally occurring in the case of cannabis and mushrooms), and yet these are deemed as too hot to handle for the british public. Its absurd and logic goes out the window. The alcohol industry has probably done an awful lot to misinform.
On 25 Apr 2016 at 11:04am Me wrote:
Increasing the price is daft..addiction is just that ,people will do anything to get their hit often resorting to crime,I think schemes to help people with addiction problems in their personality is far more sensible for them and society as a whole.
On 25 Apr 2016 at 11:53am Resilewes wrote:
You say its daft, and you may be right, but it worked with tobacco (or at least with a combination of negative public information, banning cigarettes from public indoor space and a total ban of cigarette advertising) - and tobacco is more addictive than alcohol. The percentage of brits smoking has reduced enormously over the past 25 years.
We should certainly avoid cheap booze flooding the supermarkets at the very least. The suggestion of setting up schemes for helping with addiction is also sensible, so perhaps some sort of additional tax on cheaper booze could be levied to help pay for it?
On 25 Apr 2016 at 12:08pm Terry F*ckwit wrote:
The smoking ban in pubs was a big success. They should ban alcohol too.
On 25 Apr 2016 at 12:18pm Resilewes wrote:
Yes! Great idea. All pubs should ban alcohol with immediate effect! They could also perhaps allow Off-Licenses to only sell tonic and pistachio nuts.
On 25 Apr 2016 at 12:21pm Me wrote:
i could have chosen a better word than daft,I just think the true addictive personality types still probably smoke or buy nicotine in some form,most of us will cut down if something is priced so high you can't justify the expencse,but the true addict will prioritise their addiction over everyday financial concerns.
On 25 Apr 2016 at 12:22pm Sobering wrote:
These are interesting points. I agree that minimum pricing on alcohol will do nothing to deter problem drinkers. I also agree that advertising should be banned and I get your point resilewes that banning adverising could shift the perception of alcohol as a socially acceptable drug to a very dangerous drug than needs to be very tightly regulated. It will not solve the problem for the millions of people already addicted but it may save countless lives in future generations. Advertising is a very powerful psychological tool that subtly influences to subconscious into determining if and how a product will be consumed. Banning offers in supermarkets and happy hours in pubs could be beneficial as well.
On 25 Apr 2016 at 12:37pm Resilewes wrote:
I just think as a society, we're too casual towards alcohol, yet display at times (from certain sections of society) hysteria towards illicit drugs, despite evidence and facts already out there clearly showing the immense danger of booze by direct comparison. So I think we could be a bit more low-key about promoting alcohol (ban on ads, ridiculously cheap offers etc) and perhaps stop this futile and lost "war on drugs" and take a new approach to peoples freedom to choose recreational and medicinal substances.
I'd be interested to hear from the people "thumbing down" my comments - but I guess that would be tricky when they don't usually have a coherent or strong counter argument.
On 25 Apr 2016 at 1:13pm Temperate Timothy wrote:
A better idea would be to allow pubs and off licences to only sell Fosters. No one would ever get pissed.

On 25 Apr 2016 at 6:40pm Jonny wrote:
I didn't watch so can't comment on the documentary. However, I do have personal experience of alcohol addiction and the only cure is not to drink. Sounds simple, it's clearly not as thousands prove every week, one drink is too many and ten is never enough. The reasons, like the path to sobriety are infinite. I will watch the doc soon as I have always found Louis Theroux to be empathetic and eminently watchable in his previous outings. To those struggling today, help is out there, just take the first step by asking for help and keep asking for it. Peace and love.
On 25 Apr 2016 at 10:16pm if art wrote:
Going watch it tonight..
anyone watch Chasing Dad: A lifelong addiction
Alcohol is more harmful than heroin or crack when the overall dangers to the individual and society are considered, according to a study in the Lancet.
The report is co-authored by Professor David Nutt, the former government chief drugs adviser who was sacked in 2009.
It ranked 20 drugs on 16 measures of harm to users and to wider society.
Heroin, crack and crystal meth were deemed worst for individuals, with alcohol, heroin and crack cocaine worst for society, and alcohol worst overall.
The study by the Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs also said tobacco and cocaine were judged to be equally harmful, while ecstasy and LSD were among the least damaging.

Check it out here »

On 26 Apr 2016 at 1:22am if art wrote:
Human studies of addictive behaviors have clearly implicated both environmental and genetic influences, as well as interactions between the two. While genetics play a major role in defining who we are, the environment in which we are raised is just as influential.

On 26 Apr 2016 at 9:05pm TA wrote:
Such a shame that a great thread creates so much @@@@ only tonight I was suggesting a friends puts a thread on here to assist with a charitable event

23 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

If you can provide statistical evidence that crime has never been so high then blame austerity and write to Maria. Having a pop... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy