Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Local elections across the country

On 5 May 2017 at 8:39am Tory Voter wrote:
It seems to have gone quiet on here....wonder why?
Tories doing well, Labour very cr@p, Lib Dem cr@p, UKIP utterly cra@p
Mwhahahahahahah....put that in your pipe newms et al...
On 5 May 2017 at 8:58am Frak wrote:
How rare, Tory arrogance.
On 5 May 2017 at 9:00am Tory Tim wrote:
Love it. Love it. Love it. Bring on the general election. It's going to be a landslide and utter embarrassment for all other parties.
On 5 May 2017 at 9:29am Tory Voter wrote:
Deafening silence from the usual bores on this forum......I await their lame excuses....
On 5 May 2017 at 9:34am Deja Vu wrote:
Blimey a smug tory, now there's a surprise.
Ironic bit is he's probably on minimum wage and will be hardest hit by income tax and NI rises on the lower tax bracket.
On 5 May 2017 at 9:47am Tory Voter wrote:
I am freelance (co-own a company) and earn 20 to 50K per annum depending on how much work I take on.
Some years I may earn less than the single, unemployed mum down the road with 4 kids who is on benefits.
On 5 May 2017 at 9:55am True Blue wrote:
Excellent results so far. UKIP are dead, and Labour need to ditch Jeremy (useless) Corbyn by June 8th or they will be joining UKIP in the graveyard.
On 5 May 2017 at 10:32am Deja Vu wrote:
Tory Voter, I'm not being offensive but I couldn't live in Lewes if I earned that little, do you live with your mum?
Do actually understand the Tory's do not represent your interests (maybe you think you're a high earner?).
You will be one of the first hit, instant 1% rise to your NI.
On 5 May 2017 at 10:37am Tory Voter wrote:
What a childish comment Deja Vu. No I own my house (in Lewes) and I have paid off my mortgage and am lucky enough to be able to work part-time and have plenty of savings.
If you can't live on 50K you need help...
On 5 May 2017 at 10:49am Adele wrote:
No one chooses to work full time in Lewes and there are plenty of trust funds here too.
On 5 May 2017 at 11:14am Charlie Farnsbarn wrote:
Like TV I have a paid off property in Lewes worth 600k and never earned more than 25k per annum. It is just lucky timing and frugal living, drive old cars,cycle, rarely eat out,invest time and savings,grow food etc.
Then you see people buying takeaway coffee .......
On 5 May 2017 at 11:19am Tory Voter wrote:
Exactly Charlie, I'm only in my 40s and have loads of free time due to being careful with money. For example,I shop mostly in Aldi...
On 5 May 2017 at 11:24am Sensible wrote:
It's really very simple. Earn and save, before you spend. That's how I got my house, too. We are fed up with politicians of all colours who say they will give some classes of people money for nothing. If you don't work or create successful enterprise, you don't get. There is nothing more natural and orderly. But charities, full of preachy hand-wringers, will always exist for those in genuine need through no fault of their own, provided we carefully examine the recipients who are asking to use other people's money to live off. We are pleased as punch to see the left turned into an irrelevant minority. Let us be clear about this. The left and centre do nothing but get in the way of our legitimate governments.
On 5 May 2017 at 11:32am Bob wrote:
TV and CF, I recognise what you describe. The only problem I have is never having a credit card (only spend what I save for) made getting mortgages a little tricky.
On 5 May 2017 at 11:38am Tory Voter wrote:
I've never had a credit card. Never needed one. Always lived within my means. Wasn't a problem when applying for a mortgage (about 15 years ago), perhaps things have changed since then.
On 5 May 2017 at 11:43am endoftheouse wrote:
Mammy Two Shoes (Diane Abbott) on BBC 2 now! Face like a Bulldog with a wasp in it's mouth.
On 5 May 2017 at 11:44am Deja Vu wrote:
Nothing childish about my comment, the fact of what I said stand, 20-50k is NOT enough income to income to get a mortgage and buy a house in Lewes (unless you have 200k to put down).
Your reference to your own personal situation of buying a house in 1990's and paying off your mortgage is completely irrelevant to my point.
However you ignored the point relevant to the topic you set - you do not really think the tories represent your interest do you?
On 5 May 2017 at 12:02pm endoftheouse wrote:
I would suggest that everyone should help themselves financially by using MoneySavingExpert.Com, mySupermarket,petrolprices.com and sign up to Which? I can't help with the Council Tax but hopefully this you can help your budgeting.
On 5 May 2017 at 12:47pm bobobob wrote:
Good advice endofthehouse, need to work to save the pennies nowadays.
Tory Voter. I'm happy you have a house and can afford to stay in Lewes. With the house prices rises since you bought your place most of the people I grew up with have been forced to move out of Lewes even if they ear a decent salary. It is very different now for those trying to get on the property ladder.
The gloating here seems to imply you treat politics as sport rather than important in the way the country is run.
Are you happy with the Tory council closing Pells school? How about the council tax increases coming to cover adult social care as the tories have stopped funding healthcare properly, putting a strain on these services and local peoples wallets?
Or is all you care about a big 'W' on election day so you can tell everyone how great you are and how stupid other parties are?
On 5 May 2017 at 12:58pm Conservative Gain wrote:
History will be made. This election will see the end of the Labour party as a force in politics and also the end of the pretenders calling themselves the libDems. They will be swept aside and we will govern for a generation. Happy days.
On 5 May 2017 at 12:58pm TV wrote:
I moved to Kamptown Brightpn.
On 5 May 2017 at 1:04pm Pedro wrote:
@bobobob - agreed, some people treat politics like a devoted sports fan. I think given the nature of Brexit, and how its kind of the tories (and UKIPs) mess in the first place, they should be in government to pick up the pieces and be judged on the success or failure of it. They also have a huge responsibility to ensure the economy doesn't tank in the meantime, and that public services are maintained (and dramatically improved in many cases with increased funding), as well as of course not getting us tangled up in conflicts abroad.

I wish them all the best with this, as unlike a sports fan mentality, the failure of any government will impact us all negatively. I don't personally think much of tory policies, and I don't have much confidence with their brexit strategy, and if it is a dismal failure on all counts, then the country in 2022 should stop pursuing this route of self-harm, and vote in a new government (although 7 years is already quite enough!).
On 5 May 2017 at 1:14pm Charlie Farnsbarn wrote:
It's a fair point DV, when I got my first property I borrowed less than 2.5 times my income,albeit at a quite high interest rate. That's why I said lucky timing was involved. So you are right, you can't afford to live in Lewes. That's fine,I can't afford to live in Mayfair. You need to be realistic about your own earnings and live somewhere appropriate for the wealth you have or haven't created.

On 5 May 2017 at 1:16pm Jonny wrote:
Hope these Tory voters on here have been breeding vigorously because your sons and daughters are going to be canon fodder soon for the coming conflict.
On 5 May 2017 at 1:35pm Tony the Tory wrote:
Only 20 more years Jonny haha
On 5 May 2017 at 1:44pm Funny.... wrote:
....... how so many people are suddenly Tory supporters. Maybe they have forgotten the sort of things that Torys do. Who remembers The Poll Tax which caused riots across the country? That will seem like a fly hitting your windscreen compared to what is to come when the wrecking ball of a Tory Brexit comes crashing into your life!
It's ok though, because Mrs May has already worked out her excuses and identified her scapegoats. The referendum was one vote where everyone will be a loser!
On 5 May 2017 at 1:45pm bobobob wrote:
@ CF
Not quite a valid comparison. House prices are much higher multiple of earnings and basic living expenses (utilities etc) are now a much higher % of earnings.

The cost of living is pricing this generation out of home ownership entirely unless they get a loan from bank of mum and dad.

People on the same wages now as you were when you bought your house (adjusted for inflation) simply can't afford a house as they can't save and the houses are 10 x earnings rather than 4 x say.
On 5 May 2017 at 1:45pm Pupil wrote:
I had a teacher called Mr Tory.
On 5 May 2017 at 1:58pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Tory Voter, your "single unemployed mum" will have an income the same as you in your worst year, thanks to the benefit cap, which is 20k.
She'll probably be renting in the private sector too, and paying 1,000 + a month rent out of that. Thanks to the benefit cap, many parents are having to choose between feeding their kids and keeping a roof over their heads.
On 5 May 2017 at 2:22pm Sensible wrote:
Nonsense about incomes. It's perfectly easy, too easy, for someone at the benefit cap to live on what's left after rent if they stop smoking, wanting the latest flashy phone, gambling, drinking and Sky TV. Just look at the class of people in betting shops and imagine the rest of their habits. We knuckled down and paid our way. I'm not interested in paying scroungers. We voted to slam the door shut on Labour and we're getting it done.
On 5 May 2017 at 2:25pm Pedro wrote:
@sensible, I think you may be watching too many Channel 5 "documentaries".
On 5 May 2017 at 2:49pm Tory Voter wrote:
@act. They have a choice not have so many kids. Having benefits makes it too easy.
On 5 May 2017 at 3:18pm Deja Vu wrote:
Tory Voter, you're missing the point - at 20k annual earning you really believe the Tories have any policies that will help you?
I do understand the "others" have even less credible policies, but to vote for the party that is happy for multinationals to avoid tax while they put up base rates and NI for low to middle earners to pay for it - it just doesn't make sense to me...
On 5 May 2017 at 4:06pm Tory Voter wrote:
I'm looking at the bigger picture and I don't need any help. Quite happy to pay more tax etc.
On 5 May 2017 at 4:24pm ar10642 wrote:
"They have a choice not have so many kids. Having benefits makes it too easy."
Utterly stupid comment. What if your situation changes? E.g. marriage goes wrong, job lost, illness, things that could happen to anyone. Do you sell the kids?
On 5 May 2017 at 4:38pm Use a condom wrote:
Since when does "marriage goes wrong, job lost, illness" lead to pregnancy?
On 5 May 2017 at 4:41pm @use a condom wrote:
It leads to benefits... did you srsly need that explained?
On 5 May 2017 at 4:44pm Frak wrote:
TV, it doesn't sound like you're looking at the bigger picture and sensible definitely isn't. It's all a bit I'm alright Jack and sod the rest.
I'm also self employed, pay my taxes etc, but would rather live in a society where those who can't are helped than the sort the Tories are aiming for.
On 5 May 2017 at 4:48pm Sensible wrote:
It is your responsibility to put yourself in a position where these things will not happen to you. Work properly and put in some effort. Don't divorce. Marriage is for life. Behave well, control and discipline your children, don't do unhealthy things, and save. It really is this simple. Remember your duty. If you aren't going to be responsible, what is your purpose?
On 5 May 2017 at 6:00pm Tory Voter wrote:
Agree with sensible. People need to be more self reliant

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Commercial Square programme 31:132
Commercial Square programme

New highly rated management. 2 very good new players signed already and plenty more to come. This season could be very... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare