Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Local bus cuts

On 17 Dec 2014 at 6:15pm hawths4 wrote:
Surprised no one had started a thread about the cuts to subsidised bus services. I think most have been or will be registered as commercial services but with reduced frequencies and fare increases to a frightening level.
If some are reduced frequencies that will mean less buses and less drivers so what will happen to the lovely CompassBus drivers who really make my day, particularly the 121 driver who chats to everyone and makes the journey such fun!
On 17 Dec 2014 at 6:39pm Landporter wrote:
To be honest, we get a bus around Landport every 20 minutes.....most of them are like the Mary Celeste. I rekon they should keep the peak time busses as they are but between 9 and 3, it could easily be halved
On 17 Dec 2014 at 8:32pm Sue wrote:
ESCC need to make savings of 90 million, the cuts haven't even started to hit home yet.There are something's like public transport that should not be privatised but this is where we are now and at least we are still according to the Tory/Lib scum all in it together!
Happy New Year everyone.
On 17 Dec 2014 at 10:39pm Historian wrote:
Those Compass bus drivers need to have more driving lessons, they have no idea of the size (smallness) of their vehicles. I often think, blimey you can get a bus through that space, but they just sit there oblivious, causing a complete blockage, then a Brighton and Hove double decker glides through without any fuss !!
On 18 Dec 2014 at 6:37am Boris wrote:
I have to agree with Landporter, taking the Brighton and Hove buses to one side, there seem to be an awful lot of other buses clogging the town up with one maybe two pasengers on them.
When it comes to the elderly, they have time on their side, if a service is halved does it really make much difference to them?
On 18 Dec 2014 at 10:24am lewes resident wrote:
clearly the buses are running at a loss, most of the passengers are retired and don't pay a penny to use them, and the others have to pay over the odds, unfair
On 18 Dec 2014 at 10:58am Slarty wrote:
There appears to be a little more to this story.
In a full council meeting in November (I think) the motion of these cuts were defeated. Norman Baker has written to Eric Pickles to ask for clarification on the lawfulness of the Tory's decision to vote through these cuts to bus services. No cuts can be made until this is resolved.
I agree that some of the subsidised routes are a waste of money but... without public transport then people will use cars and grid-lock the town, so buses are less reliable (stuck in traffic jams), so more people use cars, so buses cost more (less people use them), so more people use cars etc etc etc.
On 18 Dec 2014 at 11:20am trooper wrote:
We are told that today is the day that local authorities all over the country will be told how much money central government is going to allocate to them. I and I am sure many others suspect that this will be severely reduced, so the reductions to the bus service will pale in view of what the authorities will have to do to make up the shortfall.
On 18 Dec 2014 at 11:36pm Stan & Blakey wrote:
I use to live up on the Malling Estate and due to my being disabled the local 123 Bus Service was a lifeline to me.
It meant I could participate as a member of the community.
Even so the Buses didn't always run on the hourly basis like they should and they stopped at 6.00pm.
I believe that Bus route has already been cut back severely.
Why should I/we argue about cuts to an already badly restricted Bus service's when it was central Government that has caused all this supposed need for austerity.

On 19 Dec 2014 at 7:19pm wanderer wrote:
20 min landporter when did you last get a bus from landport its generally :50 and :20 the hour from the green >?
as i use it everyday
On 20 Dec 2014 at 12:37am historian wrote:
if the Government have cut the Councils subsidy, how many staff have been culled from County Hall ? Answer :- Not enough !
On 20 Dec 2014 at 2:36am Antiquarian wrote:
Yes No

On 21 Dec 2014 at 9:58am taxpayer wrote:
It seems that ESCC isn't as silly as we gave them credit for! The Council have realised that the bus cos are making good profits from the subsidised services and don't want to loose this cash cow. So lo and behold the bus cos have negotiated to take the subsidy for the services as offered and enhance the proposals with commercial services

24 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

rye bonfire badge 103:132
rye bonfire badge

The government acts for private ne'er-do-goods who do very well financially, by endorsing their massive scams for a cut in the... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the Walking to Mount Caburn at the weekend, Lounging about in Southover Grange Gardens eating strawberry ice cream in summertime, Proms in the Paddock, wicked night
A Kane