Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Local Organic Veg Boxes

On 29 Oct 2014 at 6:40pm Fed up wrote:
What are locals views on the local veg boxes? I have been a customer of one of them for 8 years but am getting fed up with increasing lack of variety and overwhelming amount of basics like root veg, cabbage and squash. Have not had any tomatoes at all this autumn! Am worried I'm going to turn into a squash if I eat any more! I don't want to name them at the moment - but others views please.

On 29 Oct 2014 at 7:49pm Horseman7 wrote:
Very happy with Riverford. Can't afford them every week so don't have a regular order.

On 29 Oct 2014 at 8:17pm wrote:
On 29 Oct 2014 at 9:14pm Country Boy wrote:
Is it not a case of what is in season at the moment? I get the majority of my veg from my own garden but at the moment seem to be living on Parsnip, Carrots, Potatoes, Swede and Squash.
On 29 Oct 2014 at 9:54pm Fed up wrote:
Yes, it is very much a matter of what is in season at the moment - one of the reasons I subscribe to a veg box scheme. However, there are more than cabbage /carrots / swede / squash /parsnip / celeriac in the autumn. There are also tomatoes / aubergines / sweet peppers - but these don't seem to appear!
I'm sure Riverford is better but I don't think it's local is it - Devon I think? I'm trying to shop locally!

On 29 Oct 2014 at 10:38pm AF wrote:
I have used Riverford and never had any complaints; good variety and helpful delivery. They are local @Fedup
On 30 Oct 2014 at 4:55am Horseman7 wrote:
Head Office in Devon. My produce comes from Hampshire.

On 30 Oct 2014 at 6:00am Country Boy wrote:
It is nearly November, I doubt anyone has tomatoes, peppers etc unless they have glass / polytunnels. A lot of veg box schemes rely on 'buying in' other stock, sometimes at a loss to provide the variety.
Alternatively, you could go to a supermarket.
On 31 Oct 2014 at 4:18pm ducatipete wrote:
Riverford and Abble and Cole are very good. Riverford send out around 60,000 every week.

28 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Lewes Penny 119:132
The Lewes Penny

Classic reply Tom. No evidence of having read my post, understood it or made any attempt to respond to it. Didn't I make the... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams