Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes where Wicker Man Meets Reich

On 7 Jun 2011 at 6:29am Paul Newman wrote:
Yeeesh a year on and Lewes is still the go-to example of small minded bigotry. This time its courtesy of professionally aggrieved Yasmin Alibhai Brown writing about racism in the Indy.
Its a weird thought that the accusations made by David James Smith have now become the only thing many people will know about Lewes

On 7 Jun 2011 at 6:35am Paul Newman wrote:
Humph I don`t seem to do Linkage well .If you are interested google- Yasmin Alibhai Brown Racism Will Go On Rearing Its Ugly Head"

On 7 Jun 2011 at 8:59am David James Smidt wrote:
Like the way she selectivley uses the facts, 'his effigy was burnt in the streets by residents' This conjures up an entirely untrue image of what actually happened. Which was the dfl's of IBS taking the bait on Bonfire Night.

On 7 Jun 2011 at 9:36am Ed Can Do wrote:
And they only burnt it in the street because they couldn't find their fire site.

On 7 Jun 2011 at 10:32am Paul Newman wrote:
Looking back at it what I draw from that spat is the danger of allowing argument constructed from anecdote. You can suggest anything you like once you have degraded the whole discussion in that way you allow the same sort of thing from extremists of other sorts.

On 7 Jun 2011 at 1:25pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Perhaps she secretly wants to be blown up, strange the things some people will do for their 15 minutes of fame.
There are a lot of past "enemies of bonfire" who revel in the fact.

On 7 Jun 2011 at 2:06pm bastian wrote:
perhaps she'd like to come down here and help build it,thus dispelling the myth that dfl's never turn up to torch making...ooh..wicca

On 7 Jun 2011 at 2:21pm Paul Newman wrote:
Ahem ...so how exactly do you get to be an enemy of bonfire then?

On 7 Jun 2011 at 2:44pm MC wrote:
The effigy of a Barcombe resident and property developer was burnt as he ran down the local shop, reduced its size to tiny and developed the rest as houses which he then sold off.

Firle burnt a caravan with paintings of gypsies on it as a group had squatted in a local field and been ripping off local residents. I believe there's an article about it on the BBC web site.

I'm amazed that Lewes had never burnt Tory Councillor Matthew Lock, the man who saw in the universally reviled Lewes parking scheme...(or maybe they did and no one recognised him).

I don't think you should be worried Paul.

On 7 Jun 2011 at 5:30pm Penguin wrote:
In Lewes, Enemies of Bonfire are just that - people who have made themselves an enemy of The Bonfire Society. Parking may be an issue to the town in general, but it is not necessarily a Bonfire issue. This is why you often see such enemies as policemen, councillors, street traders etc who have done something against Bonfire.

On 7 Jun 2011 at 6:19pm Pope Julian wrote:
'Enemies of Bonfire'. I hope you realise just how juvenile that sounds.

On 7 Jun 2011 at 8:20pm bastian wrote:
the manager of barclays bank was a good one for cliffe when he froze their funds a couple of days before the night...Pope J don't try and trip track over our bridge.

On 7 Jun 2011 at 9:21pm Roly Mo wrote:
So when was that Bastian?

On 8 Jun 2011 at 11:38am Mercian wrote:
I love the references to "IBS" for Southover.
It seems to me that some people in the town want in both ways. If people move here and don't add to the traditions, then they're terrible. If people move here and do join in with the traditions - by reviving a long-dormant bonfire society - then they're terrible.
It makes you look rather pathetic. I think it's admirable that "IBS" has been set up - it's this sort of thing that will ensure that a wonderful tradition stays alive. Would you rather Lewes was colonised by the sort of people who would move to Guildford or St Albans - becasuse like it or not Lewes will change as more people come in and I, for one, would rather it was people who want to carry on the tradition.
So there.

On 8 Jun 2011 at 12:35pm Paul Newman wrote:
Why are you picking on St. Albans Mercian ?

On 8 Jun 2011 at 4:43pm bastian wrote:
I think it was around 1992 or 3 can't remember,they blew up the chief of police and a vandal who kept setting light to litter bins in town the same year....you're cliffe aren't you,infact you are the captain of tab?...captain of effigy?

On 8 Jun 2011 at 4:47pm brixtonbelle wrote:
Here's what she (Yab) wrote

"In our times, to complain about racism is a crime. When the highly respected, white journalist, David James Smith wrote last year about his black wife and bi-racial children and the prejudices they suffered when they moved to Lewes, in Sussex, his effigy was burnt in the streets by residents. The messenger pays for the message."

It's just annoying that she has got her facts completely wrong and undermines much of what she says, some of which I agree with.

On 8 Jun 2011 at 10:41pm Brussel sprout wrote:
I often find that articles written around the time that a journalist has a book to promote are not in the least bit sensationalist and are on the whole very well judged and accurate.....

On 10 Jun 2011 at 3:52pm bastian wrote:
did she also point out that his indescreet,public trottings lead to their splitting up,I doubt it,this is a small town and the first thing any dfl needs to remember is that what ever you do everyone will know about it in the morning.The only person who gained anything out of his ranting was him,because he is a great,white,male.

18 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Station 83:132
Lewes Station

He runs this country in the current vacuum of effective leadership. It's a disastrous time for it to happen. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like tea and faerie cakes on the Castle Green
NCG