Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes on lock down

On 25 Oct 2016 at 6:22am MUST READ wrote:
No trains in or out of lewes after midday on the 5th. Also road closure has been moved to earwig corner. So the upshot is if your not in by 5 pm you won't get in. Even with passes. The police will not let anyone through a road closure. This was made official by the police last night. And can be found on the council website.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 7:03am Mountain Goat wrote:
Can't be a bad thing if it stops hipsters coming into Lewes. Thanks for letting us know anyway
On 25 Oct 2016 at 7:10am Me wrote:
It's on heart fm aswell.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 7:17am Locked out wrote:
Mountain Goat - the hipsters are already in Lewes. In fact the lock down prevents them from escaping....
On 25 Oct 2016 at 7:31am Nige wrote:
So from what your saying police wont let people through the roadblock who get off the bus before it turns back to brighton and chooses to walk the remainder of the way into town??
On 25 Oct 2016 at 7:31am Well and Truly Focked wrote:
I think people will come into the town regardless of the transport situation as their main objective is to get into the town (and worry about departure afterwards).
Expect many rough sleepers that night.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 7:35am Must read wrote:
You can walk through a road block. Buses have yet to release what there plans are but nothing can turn off of the A27 through the tunnel. Nothing past earwig corner. So I presume buses won't be running that far as they won't be able to turn there. Also road is closed to the offham garage.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 7:40am Nige wrote:
My point exactly plenty walked from the roundabout last year after the roads closed at 5
On 25 Oct 2016 at 8:13am JMMM wrote:
Worse still - they're not letting people out till 1am. More excuses for people to drink more if they can't get out. Bonkers in my view!
On 25 Oct 2016 at 8:24am Jennifer wrote:
Multiple arrests under the Vagrancy Act and with a Protected Places Order that night please, to set a good pattern to follow. We achieved this through a council vote involving my husband, and five other London boroughs followed us. They do not belong here.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 8:28am Yokel wrote:
This ain't London love ,
On 25 Oct 2016 at 8:45am Guy wrote:
More unnecessary disruption to our lives thanks to this so-called event.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 9:06am serana wrote:
I work in London and will be getting back by car at 7pm, can I not get home?
On 25 Oct 2016 at 9:09am Mack wrote:
Maybe read the press release and you will see where it advises how to find info for lewes residents
On 25 Oct 2016 at 9:27am The law wrote:
They cannot close earwig corner to the tunnel as they have not given sufficient prior notice.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 9:46am The law wrote:
As it's a trunk road needs minimum of 30 days public notice. Authorities need to revise plans.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 9:48am Must read wrote:
The law. They can close it from there. There press release will explain why. Serena the police have said that even people with road passes will not be aloud through. This is a decision the police have not taken lightly and there reasons are for the safety of the people in lewes.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 9:57am Lewes does not need this wrote:
I am a resident cannot get back to lewes before 5pm. So who is standing up for my rights to access.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 9:58am Security gone mad wrote:
So the road is closed "as part of enhanced security", I don't get it...
On 25 Oct 2016 at 9:59am Tomcat wrote:
Your can get out of all road closures.
They can close any road they like at short notice if listed under anti terror precautions!
On 25 Oct 2016 at 10:01am Must tead wrote:
Wait for the police press release. There is nothing anyone will be able to do about there decision. My thoughts when I first heard about this was the same that they can't. And of people who are not involved. But when they explained why I can see why they are doing this. Safety to lewes its residents and spectators is the most important thing.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 10:01am Security gone mad wrote:
"I am a resident cannot get back to lewes before 5pm. So who is standing up for my rights to access. "
No offence but the roads are closed every year, this is Bonfire night, this is Lewes (it happens every year)...
If you chose not to take the day off you're pretty much screwed.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 10:04am Security gone mad wrote:
I do understand why security is necessary, the amount of spectators has to be seen to be believed. But I don't understand how closing the road will enhance security, have they had threats of "drive by banger throwing" or something?

On 25 Oct 2016 at 10:12am Really wrote:
Remember nice ???
On 25 Oct 2016 at 10:15am Downwithrmt wrote:
It's disgusting that the RMT has this much power to remove so much income from the town and ruin one of the largest events in the South East, regardless of the elitist 'outsiders not welcome message' think of all the money outsiders being to the town, including the donation boxes and the charities that will miss out. Yes it's busy, yes you get drunks, but good luck to the street vendors and the local charities who depend on the money.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 10:24am Gonville Bromhead wrote:
I'm really hoping that some of these posts have been written as a joke, as the prospect of so many DFL's moving into Lewes and not researching bonfire adds fuel to their reputation as idiots.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 11:09am John johnson wrote:
Do you not think we should give guy a break!..I mean he's paid enough surely,let bygones be bygones and move on.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 11:15am The Greek wrote:
Fewer police coz of cuts... therefore they want to let fewer people in.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 11:34am Cat Lover wrote:
Will they allow dog walkers through?
On 25 Oct 2016 at 11:52am Freddie wrote:
Here is the police announcement:

Check it out here »
On 25 Oct 2016 at 12:42pm Oi oi wrote:
If you read the link you will see it has nothing to do with the bonfire societies.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 12:46pm PC49 wrote:
Isn't that the LDC announcement Freddie?
On 25 Oct 2016 at 12:58pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I'm a bit mystified as to the need for the changes. Are they anticipating lots more cars because of the train strike?
And what will happen to the bus services that use Malling Hill, like the Brighton-Tunbridge Wells buses? I'd always assumed that they used the bypass and tunnel on the 5th, but that option won't be available.
Maybe they'll take them round the little lanes between Glynde and Ringmer - that would be a laugh.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 1:02pm inthegutter wrote:
In previous years didn't they only let the buses through the tunnel? It's a shame that people in Ringmer will be cut off (if they can't walk back).
On 25 Oct 2016 at 1:23pm Tim wrote:
I have it on good authority that buses and coach companies will be making a statement this week that there will be no buses after 5 pm.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 1:28pm Lewesian wrote:
I have a question. If my sister and brother in law drive into Lewes at 2pm from Barcombe and park in my drive in Landport, are you saying they won't be allowed out until 1am? or could they sneak out after the crowds have cleared from Commercial square fireworks (11pm ish). They will only be going on the offham road to Barcombe.
On 25 Oct 2016 at 1:36pm Town Flyer wrote:
Jennifer seems very proud of being a bigot. Who, exactly, do 'not belong here'?

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Harveys Dray 41:132
Harveys Dray

Trump worse than Obama? GTFO. Trump claimed a lot of things, you'd be a fool to accept it. Drone strikes and bombing raids... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the fact it's safe enough to leave windows open and shops don't need to put grills up at night.
Maddie