Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes conservation area

On 6 Jun 2016 at 10:32am Robbie wrote:
Firstly apologies as I am not familiar with all the nuances of "South Downs National Park", "Conservation areas" and "Lewes planning article 4".
But wanted to ask some Lewesians if they have any knowledge of Lewes planning.
I have a house in Landpoort and wanted to do some work under permitted development (loft conversion), I was advised that Lewes was covered under SDNP and as such full planning would be needed.
After a lot of reading it seems as thought PD rights were removed by article 4, according to this map Landport is out of this area?
Obviously still in SDNP, but does anyone know if PD applies in Landport or not?
The more I read the more confused I am

Check it out here »
On 6 Jun 2016 at 11:52am Ollie wrote:
I converted our loft 5 yrs ago and we thought the same that we were out of the sdnp, and could build through permitted development but alas full planning required.
On 6 Jun 2016 at 12:07pm Robbie wrote:
Perfect thank you.
I noticed that they give free advice for article 4 anyway so will contact LDC (just that I know it will take a while for them to reply).
It looked like Landport was out of the Article 4 area, but inside SDNP, as both/either has the net result of removing your PD rights I am a little confused why there are pages about PD on the Lewes planning website, it would just be a lot clear if they said "every job needs planning in Lewes".

On 6 Jun 2016 at 12:18pm Historian wrote:
Good luck with getting a straight clear answer from LDC !!
On 6 Jun 2016 at 12:35pm Robbie wrote:
I don't have high hopes, seriously confused after looking on the website.
As far as I can work out there is no PD in Lewes due to it being in SNDP, but there's pages of information about what can be built in Lewes under PD...
On 6 Jun 2016 at 5:19pm stevied wrote:
Can you let us know how you get on Robbie? I too was hoping to get some work done under permitted development ...
On 6 Jun 2016 at 6:40pm Wotcha wrote:
I would expect Lewes District Council's website to provide planning information about the whole of the district, not just one town in the district. There are many places in Lewes District that are not in the National Park and planning rules are different there from what they are in much of Lewes town.

On 6 Jun 2016 at 7:48pm A Person wrote:
I believe that LDC still runs local planning; it's only the larger developments which will get referred to SDNP. That's certainly where I'd start.
On 6 Jun 2016 at 8:46pm Builder wrote:
If you're planning a rear dormer and your neighbours don't have one facing the same way, don't expect and easy ride. SDNP have been VERY fussy recently.
On 7 Jun 2016 at 12:25am Me wrote:
I love rear rear dormers!

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Pells Pool Perspective 97:132
Pells Pool Perspective

Tom. You clearly think the answer to the question of who pays the interest to the IMF and what else it provides is interesting.... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Believe you can or believe you can't... Either way you're right
Paul