Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes bus station

On 7 Sep 2016 at 2:33pm Colette wrote:
Can the owner just have the good grace at least to paint it! It's an eyesore.
On 7 Sep 2016 at 4:28pm trooper wrote:
@Colette. There is little or no chance of your request having the slightest effect, the owner of the property has been tryng to knock it down and "Develop"the site.He will see it fall down before spending any money on it..The Local Auithority will refuse ANY development that does not include a Bus Station, although they do not in any way contribute to maintaining the property, as a Bus Station.
On 7 Sep 2016 at 5:47pm Tim wrote:
There must be a way to incorporate a smart modern bus interchange as part of a development? It is done across Europe and I have seen some great architectural examples particularly in the South of France. A bit of innovation and bravery and willingness of the local Authority to keep an open mind.
On 7 Sep 2016 at 7:12pm Taxi driver wrote:
Perhaps contact philcox the owner? Instead of labouring on here
On 7 Sep 2016 at 9:01pm Merlin Milner wrote:
It is potentially awaiting the plans that Waitrose may submit for their site plus the old Wenban Smith building. In turn that is awaiting the Santon development to get going.
Lewes needs a proper bus interchange which, albeit tatty, is currently served by the existing bus station. Better use could be made of the current facility by the bus companies. However the Hearth have done a sterling job with the restaurant an bakery kiosk.
On 7 Sep 2016 at 10:57pm Local wrote:
The bus garage is listed, and presumably in the conservation area. But there seems to have been an extraordinary amount of signage creep up over the past couple of years. I wonder if it all has planning permission?
On 7 Sep 2016 at 11:18pm Historian wrote:
Listed !!! Are we talking about the same place ? What architectural merit does it have FFS ? Its an old hanger !!
On 8 Sep 2016 at 9:25am Planner wrote:
If Merlin Milner is right, the National Park Authority need to be ready with a planning brief that encompasses all the land from the river bank to the bus station and bus garage, that takes account of what has already been approved in relation to the North Street project. That brief should include any highways improvements that are needed.
Piecemeal development of the different sites will be a lost opportunity that should be resisted.

On 8 Sep 2016 at 10:47am Not sure wrote:
I'm not sure about it being listed but it's definitely in the conservation area, so planning needed for any change.

On 8 Sep 2016 at 2:45pm Parking violation wrote:
If the old wenban site is owned by waitrose why have they not flattened it and at worse use it for parking , would have paid for itself by now ,
On 8 Sep 2016 at 3:03pm bus user wrote:
Planner, if you look at the Local Development Framework (formerly the Local Plan) you will see this is exactly what has been done. The owner (one Martin Elliot) has not been able to demolish the bus station and put up flats or whatever without providing a replacement facility. The planning brief covers the whole Eastgate and North Street area.

On 8 Sep 2016 at 4:37pm Amon wildes wrote:
If you are a 'planner' why would you not understand that this has all been done already and as bus user says, what's happening vis a vis the North Street Dev. and the roads around are all available to see if interested. Santon had rather better ideas than it appears the Highway Department will let them do unfortunately.
On 8 Sep 2016 at 8:43pm Planner wrote:
So Merlin Milner is mistaken, then, if he thinks that Waitrose are pursuing a planning application for just the store site and the Wenban site? Any planning application that Waitrose make will have to include the bus station site as well.
Are Waitrose negotiating with the owners of the bus station and the bus garage? Do they wish to own the bus station site? What would Waitrose want to build on the bus garage site?

On 8 Sep 2016 at 8:49pm Planner wrote:
The reason I don't know the history of this site is that I no longer work in Lewes and haven't been following the story. I do know what the site looks like, though, and fully concur with the view that something should be done.
Is the National Park Authority really interested in steering this urban regeneration project through to a conclusion?
On 9 Sep 2016 at 12:40pm Merlin Milner wrote:
Not sure how I am mistaken Planner. I was saying that Waitrose are expected to put forward an application. Obviously it will include the land that they own. It may or may not include the bus station site. However if it includes a bus interchange / station on their own land, then including the current bus station may not be needed. Until we see an application we are all speculating.

On 18 Sep 2016 at 5:53pm The Greek wrote:
Precisely why transport infrastructure should be in public hands.

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Station View 87:143
Lewes Station View

I'm very happy for you then. How are you going to use it? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine