Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes Vet rip off

On 19 Oct 2015 at 8:13pm sickofvets wrote:
Is anyone else sick to death of being ripped off by Lewes Vets?
Actually it is just one vet who I won't name but would like to see if others have been ripped off too. I recently had to but a drug called Clevaseptin 50mg for a dog. 20 capsules. Lewes vet charge 55. I looked for the cost from an online retailer. That's a retailer, not a wholesaler that the Vets would buy from at cheaper cost. How much is the same thing online? 5. That's five pounds. And that is not a generic brand. That is the same brand. Thats 1000% (one thousand percent) more expensive than online. Anyone like to guess the caring vet?
On 19 Oct 2015 at 9:04pm Horseman7 wrote:
How much was the consultation fee on top of that?
On 19 Oct 2015 at 9:19pm PIRATE VET wrote:
Was it Steve?
YARGH!
On 19 Oct 2015 at 10:57pm Pussy wrote:
Yes they a rip off. If your pet has an op they charge for needles etc. and you have to pay your bill immediately, so why do they take 3 months to pay theirs.???
On 19 Oct 2015 at 11:10pm BANG BANG wrote:
I moved from the Cliffe High street vets after they refused to do what i asked for my cat, they did the more expensive thing, charged me 500, the cat died a couple of days later, didnt even say sorry.
On 20 Oct 2015 at 7:50am Zebedee wrote:
I had a unpleasant experience with a domineering (and very tall) South African (possibly an Ozzy or Kiwi) vet at Cliffe in Lewes. Since then I've always used Suzanne at Cliffe's practice in Ringmer. My dog thinks she's lovely and I am happy to recommend her.
On 20 Oct 2015 at 7:56am Southstreeter wrote:
@sickofvets . So were the actual cost of the drugs 55 or did that include the consultationew ? . If it was just the drugs I think you should take the matter up with them and question the amount charged . If however that included the consultation , then it appears to be around the amount charged by most professionals. My garage charge 60 per hour regardless of how much of that hour it took . They are a business and do have to make money / profit .
On 20 Oct 2015 at 8:08am South African wrote:
Ever met a nice one ?
On 20 Oct 2015 at 9:17am K wrote:
Took our dog to Cliffe HS vets, after our dog had a funny turn, and he said we should put her down because she wasn't going to come right again, after a week she was back to herself.
Dr Starnes in Uckfield is the loveliest vet we have been too and I've heard that the vet by Pets corner in Lewes is really nice.
On 20 Oct 2015 at 9:58am Mr Happy wrote:
Pet doctors on the Industrial Estate are very good and I dont feel like I have ever been ripped off there.
On 20 Oct 2015 at 10:06am John Smith wrote:
I took my cat there a few days ago, because he had a nasty abscess on his ear. The vet lanced the abscess and gave him a long lasting injection of antibiotics. The cost was 50 something; the consultation and treatment would have been 35 and the injection another 15. Not cheap but not at all excessive either.

What I certainly do value about Cliffe Vets is that they have an 24/7 emergency service, and that isn't universal by any means. The same cat was suddenly acutely ill one night a couple of years ago. I was so worried that I phoned the out of hours service; I had a ten minute conversation with the vet at gone midnight who was able, after listening carefully to the symptoms, to give me advice about treating him overnight and then bring him in first thing in the morning. It was a good decision and I really appreciated the support from one of the regular senior partners. There was no charge at all for this.

It's that kind of thing which you're paying for when a consultation takes three minutes and an antibiotic injection - years of training and support when it's needed from a well qualified and experienced professional.
On 20 Oct 2015 at 11:59am Steve irwin wrote:
Avoid Cliffe Vets at all costs. Appalling place. Myself and many friends have lost our pets there while undergoing fairly routine ops such as neutering.
It was their rip-off pricing too that encouraged me to get insurance which I shall use elsewhere next time.
On 20 Oct 2015 at 2:18pm New Left Thinking wrote:
What irked me a bit when we took our sick cat to the vest was that they were busy arranging what was about 1000 of treatment without discussing the price with us
In fact that was just the start and we felt we could not go down that route . It was a sad day for us and our children and only later did I think about how keen they were to grab your money when really it made little sense
On 20 Oct 2015 at 3:51pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
I had a similar experience to Zebedee's at Cliffe vets and now go to the one in Uckfield, same as K. They are fab and will recommend cheap home remedies in preference to expensive drugs when appropriate.
They're also flexible in their charging. They only charge one consult fee when you take in 2 dogs for vaccinations, unlike many vets, and on the one occasion I had to go there out of hours, the vet didn't charge a callout fee as he was already there on another emergency.
I use the term "emergency" loosely. It turned out that the little dog, who is not greedy and will leave half her dinner when she's had enough, had overeaten. She's never been allowed to have turkey, gammon and leek pie since that day.
On 20 Oct 2015 at 4:39pm Ducatipete wrote:
I don't think this sort of item be talked about on an open forum. If you have a problem speak to the highly qualified person direct and stop slagging him/her off.
On 20 Oct 2015 at 5:05pm Old Bloke wrote:
Vets in Cliffe High Street are brilliant
Only a tightwad would search online for a cheaper price for the pet drugs
Why don't you try and get your diagnosis and hands on treatment off the computer screen as well - might be difficult
On 20 Oct 2015 at 11:41pm Jen wrote:
I bet it is cliffe.I have been massively overcharged there twice and will never go back. They eventually halved the bill as a 'gesture of goodwill'. Rather than admit their mistake and routine greed.
On 21 Oct 2015 at 12:12am Bongo wrote:
I have nothing bad to say about Cliffe Vets. They saved the lives of two of my cats, one that had been kicked by a neighbour and another that needed an emergency caesarian (on a Sunday). Neither bill was excessive.
On 21 Oct 2015 at 2:59pm Belladonna wrote:
Mixed feelings about Cliffe. They are certainly pricey, but also very thorough. I think they 'over treated' our cat, resulting in weeks of consultations and cost. We had to bluntly tell them we would not pay for more expensive treatment route 'just to be sure', which would have involved unnecessary micro surgery and consultants fees.
I would always question costs and say what you can afford. Most vets seem to be able to accommodate lower charges if needs be. You can also ask for a prescription for many if the drugs they recommend and buy online - I have been doing this for many years through Vetscriptions and have vastly reduced medicines bills as a result.
On 21 Oct 2015 at 10:34pm Amanda wrote:
Pet Doctors on industrial estate very good, no probs, no over-charging, nice friendly staff.
On 22 Oct 2015 at 2:54pm Woody wrote:
Pet insurance is a good idea; make sure you get the right cover.
On 27 Oct 2015 at 1:18pm Ali wrote:
On Friday evening I took my very sick dog to Cliffe Vets, where it was discovered she needed an emergency hysterectomy. She was seen immediately (even though they were just closing) by Nick Pile who arranged overnight treatment for her and operated on her the following morning. I was told how much my bill was likely to be and that I could probably collect her sometime on Saturday. Unfortunately there were post op complications which the Nick dealt with and then phoned me regarding her recovery several times a day until I collected her on Monday. There was no extra charge for this, and she appears to be as well as can be expected after such a major op.
I was really interested to read the comments on this post, but on reflection and after this recent experience, I wouldn't want to move from this practice.

15 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Arms Lads 56:143
Lewes Arms Lads

It just bothers me that anyone thinks that they or the government have the right to tell me what I can put in my own body. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell