Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes Primary Schools

On 13 Jan 2010 at 8:04pm Tina wrote:
Hi,
I have been reading a post dated back in 2007 about the good primary schools in Lewes but because it was nearly 3 years ago, I probably need an update. My sister is moving back to the UK from Australia because her husband recently died. She has three children (one of whom is severely disabled - she will try and get this child into Chailey Heritage). The other two are aged 2 and 6. My sister would ideally like to move to Lewes. Can anyone give me some advice on primary schools? Many thanks.

On 13 Jan 2010 at 8:38pm frankiesgirl wrote:
I thin there all good, my son goes to St Pamcras he loves it and I could not be happoer with it.

On 13 Jan 2010 at 11:17pm Teenager wrote:
I went to a few- Lewes New School was the best! I LOVED it

On 14 Jan 2010 at 6:34am Parent wrote:
I think we are spoilt for choice in Lewes, they are all pretty good. I have kids at St Pancras which they love, I have relatives at Southover and Wallands both love those schools too. Each school seems to have slightly differnet drives eg academic or arts but most seem well balanced. Wallands is large but St Pancras is small - so it depends on what you sister wants - some parents seem to split kids between schools too. She should look at all the websites to get a feel - make sure she finds the New St Pancras one though as I think the old one is still around due to a technical problem!!

On 14 Jan 2010 at 8:36am Piggles wrote:
An alternative to Chailey school is Hillside School in Portslade. About 5 minutes longer to drive to, but an absolutely fantastic school for disabled kiddies. If I had to choose between the two schools for my child it would definitely be Hillside over Chailey.

On 14 Jan 2010 at 12:53pm Sherlock wrote:
I agree with the poster who suggests sending them to different schools. My son is a year younger than my son and he was always being compared with her by the teachers when they were at the same school. It got to the point where he said he couldn't see why he bothered.

On 14 Jan 2010 at 1:52pm Commuter wrote:
If the child with disabilities is of a nursery age they wont be able to go Chailey Heritage as the nursery has stopped taking children with special needs, much to the disgust and exasperation of many people! anyone who wants to complain or fight for it to reopen feel free to try! there are very very few places around which take disabled children of such a young age.

On 14 Jan 2010 at 2:49pm Down and Out wrote:
I'm a Wallands parent and I can't really fault it. Recent change of head, but everything that was good seems to be carrying on OK. We chose the school because:
- It has no religious affiliation
- It was the largest school in Lewes
Our kids moved from a large (four form entry) school in Brighton and we thought the smallest places like Western Road might feel a bit claustrophobic. Each to their own of course, but I think 4/5 years might be a long time to be stuck in with the same 25/30 kids.
Wallands has a nice social mix too - from Landport to The Avenue.

On 14 Jan 2010 at 4:35pm spongebob wrote:
One school that rarely gets a mention.....which surely can only be a good thing is South Malling. I went there from 1970-77 and both my step daughters went there later on but i'm reliably informed that it is a very good school

On 14 Jan 2010 at 6:16pm Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
My girl is very happy at Western Road. It's not religious, is quite small, friendly, not too pushy.

On 14 Jan 2010 at 10:49pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
My girl also very happy at Western Road. A very welcoming school with a creative bent. The head is very down to earth and also very popular with the kids - always a good sign, I think.

On 15 Jan 2010 at 11:30am No Pot Pourri wrote:
My order of preference:
St Pancras small, Catholic
Southover - Telegraph
Western Road - Guardian
Lewes New school - eurhythmy and hand knits
Wallands - Large with mixed intake
Malling - Intake mostly from decent council estate
Pells - Intake mostly from council estate - put on Ofsted special measures

On 15 Jan 2010 at 2:09pm Parent wrote:
What about Iford & Kingston? This is a school which never gets mentioned and has just has an 'outstanding' ofsted report.

On 18 Jan 2010 at 2:43am Amanda wrote:
Hi all. I'm the widowed sister and the reason why we are all talking about Primary Schools. Thanks so much for all your replies. Does anyone know which (if any) of these schools have a good reputation for MUSIC. My 6 year old son has a good musical ear and I'd really like to keep that up. Thanks again. Amanda.

On 19 Jan 2010 at 12:13pm Guardian reader wrote:
East Sussex Music Service (open to all pupils anywhere in the county) is outstanding. I have always found Western Road to encourage music but I am sure other schools are the same.

On 25 Jan 2010 at 4:24pm Vicky wrote:
What about art and creativity - someone mentioned Western Rd is good for that. The places seem to be full for Year 2 - any other school to be recommended in this department? Thanks again.

21 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Buskers in Lewes 17:132
Buskers in Lewes

Hm, I could recommend you Chameleon decorators and windows restoration This company uses vacuum-sealed double glazing technology... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone
Nancy