Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes Pound

On 30 Apr 2010 at 5:15pm MuttsNuts wrote:
Has anyone seen a lewes pound lately?
I haven't seen one for ages. Also does any one know who has all the real cash paid for these lewes 'pounds', what /whose bank account are they in, and who eventually owns or gets to keep the real cah?

On 30 Apr 2010 at 5:16pm MuttsNuts wrote:
That's CASH, ssory

On 30 Apr 2010 at 6:51pm Jim wrote:
I have six Lewes pounds in my wallet which have been there since the 4th of July last year.
What a load of crap the whole thing is,they will probably stay in my wallet until my dying day (or my wallets dying day) and im only 22(and it is quite new as well)!
Never understood why it was brought it, it was never going to take off to the masses, only a small minor group of people who most likely spend them all in Bills

On 30 Apr 2010 at 6:57pm Decent Citizen wrote:
Never even saw one,but then I was not looking!

On 30 Apr 2010 at 8:01pm Lewes Splonder wrote:
Mine expired on 31st August 2009. Since when does money expire?

On 30 Apr 2010 at 8:58pm MuttsNut wrote:
So does anyone know what happens to the real cash paid for them, that doesn't expire does it? who has got that real money? anyone know?

On 30 Apr 2010 at 9:22pm John McGowan wrote:
The whole thing is, at best, irrelevant to local spending and the environment (rather like the rest of the Transition Town agenda I fear). I wrote something about it on this site a few months back. Its in the mag section about 6 down. The title is "It Take More than a Villlage".
I can't see what's going to happen to the money. This has been raised before and I've yet to hear a coherent answer. Any TTL people out there want to have a try?

On 1 May 2010 at 12:15am Winterbourne Wanderer wrote:
I got offered a Lewes Pound only yesterday in Laportes. In my change, I should say, it wasn't that I was being randomly offered free money. Anyway, I politely declined. I've already got one in my wallet for novelty value, so am not sure why I would need another.

On 1 May 2010 at 11:09am 'ere be monsters wrote:
It really is a pretentious load of cobblers. If you could buy a Lewes pound for 95p it would encourage people to buy them and spend them. To expect people to have a Lewes pound in their pocket that they can only spend in a few shops when a pound sterling can be spent anywhere is beyond me.

On 1 May 2010 at 11:54am MuttsNuts wrote:
It does look to me that this was all a con and someone has banked loads of cash and handed out lots of bits of paper. how do retailers convert it back to real money?

On 1 May 2010 at 12:34pm John McGowan wrote:
I'm fairly clear retailers (and anyone else) can convert it back. I think real money is in Barclays. I'm also pretty sure people do convert them regularly. I mean as Winterbourne W says why on earth would you want more than one? However they are unlikely to all be redeemed and I have no idea what's going to happen to the money left over (which presumably is at least a few thousand quid). I may have missed something on this and would be v grateful for a TTL person (if any ever stick their heads up on this forum) to fill us in.

Re the original question MuttsNuts there was the usual Lewes Pound stall at the Farmers Market this morning. You could see it clearly as it was the one stall with no-one around it. It appears even the tourists have got bored!

On 1 May 2010 at 6:54pm Some like it hot wrote:
If you were true born n bred Lewesians and not DF wherever whenevers, you might enjoy it, but you are not, so butt out!

On 1 May 2010 at 7:01pm MuttsNuts wrote:
Quite so, so any idea where the real money is?

On 1 May 2010 at 7:09pm furrynuff wrote:
of course ttl are not going to stick their heads up.why should theyno one knows anything about the money banked. i suggest everyone with a lewes pound changes it at bills you might get an answer then. is there a committee a.g.m. publish accounts. anyone got a better idea for making money

On 1 May 2010 at 10:09pm j.p wrote:
why would you use the lewes pounds

On 1 May 2010 at 10:11pm Ed Can Do wrote:
TTL aren't a limited company or a charity and as such, there's no compulsion for them to publish annual accounts. There's no more security in giving your money to them than giving it to any other stranger in the street.

There is, apparently an account at Barclays that has a quid in it for every issued Lewes Pound that is there to convert them all back. The problem with the scheme is that TTL were charging retailers £1.05 to convert LPs back to real money, so none of them wanted to accept them. The idea was that the extra 5p's would go to "local causes" which I guess is where the money at Barclays that will be saved when nobody converts any LP's back will go too. Of course, with no accounts published there's no way of anyone knowing how much TTL take to cover "printing" expenses and "admin" expenses.

The whole thing has been a massive joke from the start, badly thought out and even more badly executed.

On 1 May 2010 at 11:14pm brixtonbelle wrote:
Saw a great portrait of tom paine down at ZU studios today, made of Lewes pounds.
It's a nice idea to get people to buy and spend locally and keep money within the community, but not sure what difference having alocal currency makes. White Stuff accept them, by the way.

On 1 May 2010 at 11:48pm MuttsNuts wrote:
Hmmm, curiouser and curiouser. No noises yet from the local 'cause' TTL, and that money in the bank is earning interest too, if it's still there.

On 2 May 2010 at 8:22am John McGowan wrote:
I doubt TTL are on this forum much. They tend to attract quite a bit of abuse (some of it I think for legitimate reasons).

The issue for me is that stuff like buy local schemes like that don't really work in the way the TT want them to. It does seem as if there hasn't been much real thought in it and it seems to have been a failure in all its main aims. TTL have a very particular response to lack of interest in thier initiatives (if that column on Viva is anything to go by anyway. Has any one seen it?). This seems to be to congratulate themselves for their marvellous commitment and belittle of others for being selfish.

The money is another story. What EdCanDo said is also they way I understand it works (though am not sure about the £1.05). As I said above there is a pile of money sitting there which may never be redeemed (for all the money pinned up in people's kitchens and sold on eBay. Its not clear what the status of this is and if it can ever be spent or by whom!

On 2 May 2010 at 8:43am Old cynic wrote:
Rather than sitting around bitching about it like a bunch old old women try asking the organisers at www.lewespound.org

On 2 May 2010 at 11:50am furrynuff wrote:
OLDCYNIC.......we don.t need to know about lewes pound that.s well advertised it is the pound sterling we are asking about.do you know?

On 3 May 2010 at 8:30am LOVE wrote:
ok ? a waste of time thats the lewes pound lets just love one other thats better

On 4 May 2010 at 2:03pm Norman Baker wrote:
Vite Lib Dem for the NEW LEWES EURO !!!!!!
Everyone will want one... plus we can exchange those old manky Lewes Pounds for you.... I believe brussles have told us it will be 3 Lewes pounds to the 1 Lewes Euro. Which in turn is only worth half a real Euro.

Vote Lib dems for a more "european" future!!!

On 6 May 2010 at 3:36pm jos wrote:
Chris Smedley
2 station st

13 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Cameron and Porky 18:132
Cameron and Porky

I will be voting Lib Dem tomorrow even though I have no faith in the party running the country with their slim to non-existent... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine