Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes Parking Scheme Consultation!

On 26 Jan 2011 at 4:02pm Merlin Milner wrote:
ESCC is Tory controlled and although LDC and the LTC are Lib Dem controlled, there are only 2 ESCC Councillors for Lewes.
We have tried at Lewes Town Council to effect change into the scheme.
1. Asked to be on the board - request rejected by ESCC, although the Chamber of Commerce were on it beforev they left.
2. Conducted a survey in conjuction with the Sussex Express and the Chamber of Commerce - ignored by ESCC.
3. ESCC promised a meeting at County Hall with the LTC working party to go through the scheme in detail. This is now a meeting with Atkins and may not include an ESCC officer.
4. I have asked for another Town Hall public consulation since the publicity was very poor - rejected by ESCC.
BTW Norman has been very supportive and has done much behind the scenes. However this is largely an ESCC scheme and get them to change any of it is very difficult.
Finally apathy has ruled as far as the residents of Lewes are concerned. I believe that about 10% of housholds filled in the original questionaire that led to the scheme in the first place. Yet we manage to pull out the stops for getting Harvey's back into the Lewes Arms!

On 26 Jan 2011 at 4:30pm Mr Forks wrote:
But Harveys is important!

On 26 Jan 2011 at 4:36pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Maybe we should take a leaf out of the Lewes Arms protesters book and picket county hall on county council day. Or blockade it with our cars.

On 26 Jan 2011 at 7:04pm rotten review wrote:
Merlin, I have great respect for your efforts, but I think you need to put yourself in the position of a member of the public not involved in local politics. If Norman has been helpful, why Is Lewes District Council leaving the tiny Town Council to do things wihen they have such little power or influence. Norman 'being supportive' saying he thinks a scheme has problems, is not the same as him actually doing something about it. We can all support anything, including a pledge not to put tuition fees up. It takes guts to wade in and actually be effective. I am sorry but the Lib Dems on the District Council , and Norman have not done anything of any consequence that has been successful in changing the misery people continue to experience. . I also think it is worth pointing out that yes the Tory Controlled ESCC are responsible for this flawed and unimproved scheme, but the Lib Dems supported it without preventing the mistakes they now seem to think exist, their car parks are involved, and the Lib Dems ere now in a national coalition with these very same ESCC Tories. With elections coming up, I suggest you ask Norman, and Anne De Vecchi to wake up to the valid criticism that they have failed to take any effective lead on this matter . All power to you, but at some point Lib Dems need to support you and us , their electorate, in effective change to this scheme, perhaps through this reveiw. because after 5 years of 'being supportive' they haven't done anything but let us be delivered with a review of this rotten quality. Perhaps the Lib Dems might publicly express whatever their views about this scheme are in the local paper, or do we just have to pressume they agree with Matthew Locke? I have dutifully filled my form in, and if asked to support the kind of direct action that 'Annette" describes, I find myself reluctantly quite willing to do so. I never thought that Norman would turn out to be all mouth and no trousers.

On 27 Jan 2011 at 7:25am Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
In fairness to Norman, it's a county matter and he doesn't have a huge amount of influence on it.
I think the rest of the Lib Dems should at least be campaigning on the issue. I rather suspect that many of them are caught between their green credentials and doing what their constituents want, and are consequently doing nothing.

On 27 Jan 2011 at 10:01am Merlin Milner wrote:
I often go to Marlborough on business and find the parking regime very successful. The town is similar to Lewes and we could learn lessons from it. Our scheme is more suited to a London Borough.
It is interesting to note that the original consultants said that Lewes did not have a parking problem but an enforcement problem. This was certainly true with only one part-time traffic warden. I contacted the police back then who employed the traffic warden and they could not tell me how many tickets they issued.

On 27 Jan 2011 at 11:53am queequeg wrote:
During the last local election campaign I was knocked up by the local Tory who said the policy was to get change to the parking scheme. When asked what change, what was the policy aim, was it for or against a fairer system or abolition answer came there none. That is the typical response from all parties, "yes we will listen to your dissatisfaction and make the right noises to make you think we are on your side, but we ain't really and never will be because all parties are essentially the same - purely power hungry." would have been a more honest response.

On 27 Jan 2011 at 12:54pm Merlin Milner wrote:
I am certainly not power hungry and nor do I believe are my fellow Councillors at the Town Council.

On 27 Jan 2011 at 2:47pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Sorry queequeg - you were 'knocked up by the local Tory'. Is this really something you want to discuss on a public forum ????

On 27 Jan 2011 at 3:02pm bastian wrote:
be honest this is a box ticking exercise...the CC can then claim that they consulted the public blah blah..but the questions asked were not going to give you a chance to say the things that really miff you like,east st has loads of parking spaces but little east st has 5 and people from east st park their second car in there.That would be too dirrect.I'm not bitter....I don't have a car.

On 27 Jan 2011 at 3:03pm bastian wrote:
besides this isn't politics.. this is business.Count those pounds in NCP.

On 27 Jan 2011 at 3:28pm JS wrote:
I agree bastian, it is a box ticking exercise. The very nature of "consultations" means that Atkins are highly unlikely to come back in February and announce that everything works perfectly and nothing needs to be done. Watch this space.

On 27 Jan 2011 at 4:30pm andaxi wrote:
The recent survey is purely a ploy for revenue raising........you complain about parking problems and to 'solve' your problem you pay for a Residents parking permit and join the parking lottery.
Councils, especially Lewes and East Sussex, are only interested in your money to fund their gravy train!

On 27 Jan 2011 at 5:17pm MC wrote:
This shoddy excuse for consultation cannot be considered anything like authoritative:

* Online form that can be filled in multiple times by same individual
* Both online form and printed form ask the wrong questions and do not give people a chance to express what they feel about the scheme in the way many want too
* A quarter of the form consists of questions many respondants feel are ridiculous, innapropriate, irrelevant and derisory and has led to some failing to complete the form.
* Consultees were not informed of the consultation events, informed of the wrong times if they were (Barcombe) and the people who were actually infomed were informed so late that many could not make the time to attend.
* Consulting company Atkins has close historic ties to NSL (ex-NCP) the operators and main beneficiaries of the Lewes parking scheme

Unless this is exposed as the charade it looks like the consultants Atkins will report their biased findings to ESCC who might act on them. So even though the whole thing looks like crap this makes it even more important that anyone who knows about the consulation meetings in their area should turn up and make their voice heard.

On 27 Jan 2011 at 5:49pm Smiler wrote:
When and where is the next consultation event in Lewes?

On 27 Jan 2011 at 5:57pm Merlin Milner wrote:
Saturday 29th at the Cliffe Chrurch hall. 1000 - 1700
Hope to see you all there.

On 27 Jan 2011 at 6:12pm MC wrote:
I hope Webbo sticks that at the top of the forum page in big colourful bold type... and on Facebook too.

On 27 Jan 2011 at 6:30pm queequeg wrote:
BB,
I thought more than just you might enjoy that, "canvassing" doesn't quite describe the kind of fibbing that goes on on doorsteps.

On 27 Jan 2011 at 11:44pm rotten review wrote:
Does anyone know why the scottich guy 'Sheldon', who used to work in the Parking shop has been at the consultation? Had he dropped in to apologise for the mess he officated over?

On 28 Jan 2011 at 7:44am MC wrote:
He was at the Barcombe one last night. *Very* helpful.
Only 20 people had turned up to the consultation by 7.30pm (i.e. with only 1.5hrs to go). Very few people in Barcombe seemed aware it was being held.

On 28 Jan 2011 at 8:28am sfb wrote:
All this pointless "consultation" will result in is an extension of the parking scheme.it's a trick London councils have used. They consult. They find that people have problems with parking (of course). They find that a majority say that the parking scheme "encourages more use of public transport (ie a handful tick this box, which added to those who express no opinion on this question equates to a "majority" and that's another public sector box ticked). The result of the consultation? Clearly the people of Lewes need the parking scheme extending to include another outer zone, to alleviate the problems. Remember this is not a referendum on the scheme.

On 28 Jan 2011 at 9:04am Brixtonbelle wrote:
Just completed the form. I agree sfb, whatever you answer will be used to justify whatever they want to do.
pretty pointless exercise.

On 28 Jan 2011 at 5:34pm rotten review wrote:
I agree with your cynicism, but as far as I understand the outlying zones don't seem to have much of a problem, so it would be very difficult to justify expanding outwards into whatever tiny bits are left un poisoned, in order to remedy the mess in the inner zones. Also, this cane easily be a referendum on the scheme, Just answer question 10 with a yes, and an 'all' and a statistic is created of people who think the whole scheme as it is , is untenable. No one will take any notice of course, but then we are all used to that, from Cllr Locke, and almost anyone else who could do something about it.
What is the scottish guy doing there? It is hardly independent to have one of those responsible for overseeing the terrible management of the scheme sticking around when you are trying to xomment without his 'help'. I for one would lay some of the responsibility of the mes we are in straight at him, but wouldn't want to say that with him peering over my shoulder with his wrong advice, and defensive attitude. One of the main complaints is not the scheme as such, but the way it is managed. Does he now work for Atkins?

On 28 Jan 2011 at 7:11pm Smiler wrote:
I see this thread (well the first one about this issue) made the local paper this week.
It's not clear from it whether they were saying what was said about the NCP and Atkins ex chairman was right or not though.

On 28 Jan 2011 at 7:49pm MC wrote:
Having not seen the article (well most of it anyway!) I'm hoping that they have said that there is a clear historic link between the consultants Atkins and the parking scheme administrators NSL (a company split from NCP 2 or 3 years ago) . Anyone can easily verifiy that with a little bit of Googling.

On 1 Feb 2011 at 2:36pm bastian wrote:
I certainly did and yes there does seem to be a connection

On 4 Feb 2011 at 12:27am popsgirl wrote:
Lewes parking is an absolute JOKE !!! i think that the fact that residents pay for a permit and then don't have a guaranteed space is ridiculous ie lets pay NCP £100 a year to pay and display in a car park what a joke. East sussex county council needs to grow a back bone and realise they have made a huge mistake !

10 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Lewes Town Clock 88:132
Lewes Town Clock

I'm grateful for Nevillman starting this discussion and being so generous as to refer back to me. My delay in saying anything... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Liberty cannot be preserved without general knowledge among the people.
John Adams