Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes Laughter

On 7 Aug 2008 at 2:05pm Express hound wrote:
If anyone is interested, it is really easy to go on the East Sussex County Council website, go into the 'whiners' section and make a complaint about the pomposity of Mr / Ms Lewes Laughter and how he or she manages to whine about Bill's in nearly every thread.

On 7 Aug 2008 at 2:15pm Lewes Laugher wrote:
Sorry to have upset you Bill.

On 7 Aug 2008 at 2:39pm Bill Collyflower wrote:
All publicity is good publicity. Thanks LL.

On 7 Aug 2008 at 2:50pm Lewes Laugher wrote:
Funnly enough, the BBC had something about this saying on its website. 'The Kazakh president, responding to the Borat movie, says "all publicity is good publicity". Is that true? It's become one of those lines that gets trotted out, usually when something has gone horribly wrong. Or else, it's the soundtrack to the last straw being grasped, when there's nothing else left to say that's positive.'

On 7 Aug 2008 at 4:28pm Billy Borat wrote:
Is it just Bill's that you have it in for? Why not bring your anger onto those who are more deserving. Bill's is a thriving local business success...are you green (sic) with envy; just wish to make Cliffe dull or are very fat and cannot pass down Cliffe high street unless well greased up.

On 7 Aug 2008 at 4:31pm Lewes Laugher wrote:
Billy Borat - if you read back over my past contributions you'll find that I'm interested in a lot more than Bill's. Like many others on this site, I've nothing against Bill - I've enjoyed many good meals there and good luck to him - but I do object to his idea that he can take over the pavement and then the road. It's as simple as that.

On 7 Aug 2008 at 4:36pm Mystic Mog wrote:
Given the obstructions by ESCC, water and gas. Not to mention the dirt and dust. Bill's annexing of Cliffe between holes in the road is to be welcomed. As long as there is safe passage for the elderly, disabled and parnets with children, I cannot see what the problem is. He is brightening up the exhaustingly long roadworks. If, when the pedestrianisation is finished, he takes over to much an area then perhaps a word in his ear mght be best first move.

On 7 Aug 2008 at 4:52pm Lewes Laugher wrote:
Mystic Mog - that sounds reasonable.

On 7 Aug 2008 at 7:18pm geoff wrote:
has anyone ever wondered why none of the other traders in Cliffe don't follow Bill's example?

On 7 Aug 2008 at 7:58pm Organic Matter wrote:
I really do not understand the problem here? Bills restuarant is great - good for the kids, ethical, not too pricey and really really atmospheric.
Why is everyone so against him? I think the carnival atmosphere that Bill's provides is a massive asset to the town!
What a load of miserable old bigots there are in Lewes that object!
People can't bear a success story can they?

On 7 Aug 2008 at 8:22pm The voice of reason wrote:
The problem with most people....including myself, is that the prices that he charges are only useful for people with a disposable income comparible to a small nations arms budget.
It is the most stereotypical image of Lewes....high prices to attract the middle and upper claases who don'r mind paying 8 for a jacket spud and a lettuce leaf.
Also, the pavement outside Bills has gradually become smaller and smaller and anyone with a pushchair or buggy will tell you that it's neigh impossible to negotiate the pavement with all the food and plants everywhere.
I know first hand from several ex employees....including a decent chef, that he treats them like sh*t.

On 7 Aug 2008 at 8:38pm Organic Matter wrote:
I frequently pass Bills' with 2 toddlers in a double buggy, and yes, the pavement is narrow and it is a pain in the bum to negotiate, but I love pointing out the sights to the boys who are fascinated by the sights and sounds outside.
Ok - it isn't cheap, but it isn't astronomical and it is extremely good quality.
I can't comment on the treatment of employees, but there is plenty of restaurant and bar work available locally, so one can only assume that those claiming to be treated badly have not been working as hard as they could?

On 7 Aug 2008 at 8:54pm sashka wrote:
I asked something similar,on the other thread. Why don't Harveys have a stall outside with their lovely beer, and what about all the other shops? How does it work?

On 7 Aug 2008 at 8:55pm Spinster Of This Parish wrote:
Maybe we could hold a Lewes Forum Car Boot sale down there this weekend?

On 8 Aug 2008 at 12:59am madge wrote:
I cannot understand why some of you spring to Bills defence & call people miseries as though everyone is being unreasonable in there critisism. On the whole people are not against him or his business they are just stating the obvious concerns for those who find it difficult to manouver round the tables, chairs, food, plants etc on this piece of pavement. Ok a lot of you dont mind because you have perfectly working limbs etc but open your eyes & spare a thought for those who find life a bit more of a struggle & stop being so selfish & self righteous.

On 8 Aug 2008 at 8:02am sashimi wrote:
Madge, you and your mates are a misery because you go boring on about Bill's misdemeanours when there are so many more importsant issues to get steamed up about.

On 8 Aug 2008 at 8:54am madge wrote:
Who is steamed up...I'm certainly not & I am very happy person thanks. I have just responded to other peoples post on here that I have an opinion on. Some people have made very true observations & expressed a few concerns its people like you that get all steamed up & defensive! Might I suggest there are a lot more important issues that some people could be defending - I make no appologies for speaking up for those who have more of a struggle in life than others. Thankfully we are not all of the 'blow you Jack I'm ok' brigade.

On 8 Aug 2008 at 9:52am geoff wrote:
I'm still waiting to hear anyone's explaination as to why no one else in Cliffe uses the street and pavement as part of their business premises. It is quite a mystery isn't it?
The only thing that gets steamed up is my glasses.

On 8 Aug 2008 at 10:04am Smiler wrote:
The Pet shop uses the street, why has no one mentioned that.
Is it because that shop keeper is not such a visible success story I wonder.
If you knew he was a millionaire would you slag him off as well?

Bill for Mayor!

On 8 Aug 2008 at 10:10am Geoff wrote:
Thank you, anyone else using the street?

On 8 Aug 2008 at 10:37am Lewes Laugher wrote:
Sashka had the best idea - have Harvey's on display outside their shop as well. If it is going to be pedestrianised it really will make a nice market atmosphere, Bill's as well. And the local economy might benefit from the rents to be charged for the use of the public space.

On 8 Aug 2008 at 7:23pm geoff wrote:
The mystery is still why Harvey's etc/the Camping shop etc don't expand onto the street like Bills. What do people think the reason is?

On 8 Aug 2008 at 7:54pm sashimi wrote:
Madge, it's not that you don't have a point. But now that you've made it, you don't have to go on and on and on about it.

On 8 Aug 2008 at 8:32pm SHS wrote:
Cars parked on pavements are a far more serious and widespread obstruction than chairs on pavements.
Bill for King!

On 8 Aug 2008 at 8:40pm madge wrote:
Er sashimi..pot & kettle springs to mind!

On 8 Aug 2008 at 10:02pm Hells Bills wrote:
Ok, Shs /Sashimi/ Smiler etc, you have all now made the same point, repeatedly, and that is lovely, but your now moaning about miserable moaners, who want to moan.
If you don't agree, and have said your piece then as long as we don't make 'vegetabilist' comments, swear, or otherwise offend then leave us wallowing in our self induced pavement cafe misery.
Madge, others and I are quite happy to pick over the carcass of this scintillating subject, without you. The quicker it will be out of our systems and we can move to other exciting important issues like wheat intolerence, bonfire night, and the ownership of the Lewes Arms.

On 9 Aug 2008 at 8:24am sashimi wrote:
OK. Fair cop. Sorry,madge. I'll stop.

On 9 Aug 2008 at 6:09pm Superfly wrote:
yes, and next door to Bills Age Concern can have their stuff outside on the pavement with just as much prominence.

On 10 Aug 2008 at 9:25pm scarlet wrote:
in response to why traders don,t do the same as bill and put their stall on the road too.i think that it,s probably that the council would charge us all a fortune to do so.To be honest i pay money every year to stay open on late night shopping and we can,t even be given descent christmas lights so why would they put back the revenue in to the street if they rented the road to us.

On 11 Aug 2008 at 4:59am SHS wrote:
Scarlet, are you saying that traders who want to stay open for late night shopping have to pay the council a fee? If so, to which council (LTC/LDC/ESCC) and how much? Is this why Lewes does not have a weekly late-night shopping evening + half-day closing?

On 11 Aug 2008 at 12:57pm johnpierre wrote:
other shops do have things on the pavement outside, Forfars the bakers quite often has an ice cream dispenser out or a table of bread, next there will be moans about Buskers, Big Issue sellers and the Dancing Man blocking up the shopping precinct !

On 11 Aug 2008 at 11:34pm scarlet wrote:
i think it is lewes chamber of commerce and it goes to wards the festivities on the night and the christmas lights.i dont mind paying but the lights never change and they never increase.i know they cost thousands to buy but why cant they use the revenue generated from the parking scheme and put it back into the town where locals can see that the money spent everyday to park is working for the town .i,m going to stop there otherwise i will get on my soap box about the parking scheme

5 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

waterloo badge 128:132
waterloo badge

Another day another protest more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the forum and being able to respond to things I agree and don't agree with.
Clare