Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes House Site - Sunday

On 7 Mar 2008 at 11:01pm Enoch wrote:
I have just received a note through my door and thought I would pass it on:
"Say Yes to eco-friendly 21st centry houses, Yes to 2 story houses, Yes to sensible low density planning, Yes to attractive buildings in keeping with our beautiful unique town, Yes to affordable socially inclusive homes, Yes to the preservation of our historic twittens.
NO to a district council hell bent on selling off the towns assets to greedy builders intent on destroying the centre of Lewes. The destruction has begun, come and see!
We can stop the negative impact of the Lewes House site and accentuate the positive.
Show you care and occupy the land at NOON on Sunday (9-3-08) Walwers Lane Twitten and prepare for action. The weather may try to put you off but turn up anyway even if its for a few minutes! Bring a musical instrument and make out protest loud and clear. We've go to say Yes/No before its too late. "
If you are sick and tired of our Council selling off OUR assets or houses being built on any spare land in the centre of town come along. Out town is being spoilt by Greed!

On 8 Mar 2008 at 8:50pm Roly Mo wrote:
Good luck Enoch. The land is also a car park for those who work at the council-where will they all park, if building is allowed?

On 9 Mar 2008 at 5:59am SHS wrote:
We need a revolution and it is coming. Democracy does not exist in England.

On 9 Mar 2008 at 2:39pm Enoch wrote:
We had a little meeting there today and the land has already been cleared during the week by the council. What I found shocking was the size of the whole of the Printworks development and the height of it in comparison to the surrounding buildings - just imagine another building development of that nature next to it. We are being swamped by this kind of building in the centre of town - do we sit back allow this to happen or can we do something about it.
Next Sunday we are planning to have a family pic-nic on the site between Walwers Lane and Church Twitten and to encourage as many people as possible to come along - so please come along at 12 noon on Sunday 16th April. See you there.

On 9 Mar 2008 at 3:10pm FA wrote:
What i find is that many people in this town have this "i'm alright Jack" type attitude.
People live on estates....which certainly aren't "in keeping" with our "beautiful town" and which were built because people need to live here.
But these people don't want any future developments for our offspring or to increase the population of the town.
THINGS MOVE ON i'm afraid and as populations grow, so will the towns. I've found a lot of the recent houses and buildings that have gone up in an "eco-friendly" fashion to be absolutely disgusting...all that "recycled" timber and other crap is horrible. Give me bricks and mortor any day.
So i might just come along to your little picnic next sunday and have a little go back at you.
Anyone want to come to a picnic next sunday to voice your approval for new developments.
Your surname isn't Powell by any chance is it ?

On 9 Mar 2008 at 4:13pm Roly Mo wrote:
The problem with this development is that it is going to be causing more traffic chaos, with the new residents having to use the one-way system whenever they need to make a trip out, the staff who park there, will now have to find somewhere else to park, and also the area is grossly overdeveloped. I am sick of the greed of the landowners in this town, who would put up a house on the site of an old bus-shelter, if they could. FA, where do you live?

On 9 Mar 2008 at 6:57pm Double Yellow Line wrote:
Yet again I find myself in agreement with FA.
Whenever new buildings are proposed people complain, conveniently forgetting that when their houses were built they were on "valuable land" and other people probably complained about that development.
We need more houses folks and they are going to be built and you can rest assured that where ever they are people will complain

On 9 Mar 2008 at 7:47pm The Super K wrote:
Same as DYL things aren't going well on the forum I miss our arguments.

On 9 Mar 2008 at 10:38pm Enoch wrote:
I think FA if I put my surname up you would be very surprised, we used to play as kids.
I am not against the building but the density of it and the segregation of rental and private properties. We all know the reputation of "The Flats" and this will be another - a getto - cheaply made by the developers. They won't even be able to get a fire engine on to the site!! If you knew anything about the project I am sure you would not want to live there yourself! It smacks of segregation.
I too have children and worry about where they will live when they are older. I don't see new schools, doctors, dentists etc being built. I don't see parking spaces being supplied for the "Ghetto" only for the private dwellings. The town centre is already clogged with traffic and if you look at all the developements which have/are going ahead in the vacinity of the High Street only a handful of parking spaces are provided - not to mention the LDC car park which will be built on where will all those cars park.
Unfortunately for you FA we will all be joining you in Uckfield to do our shopping because Lewes will be an even bigger nightmare to shop in.
I am not a mamby pamby snob - I was brought up in a council house - but I do feel a need to question the councils planning decisions sometimes.

On 9 Mar 2008 at 10:48pm Dahlia Rich wrote:
Has anyone considered the fact that the only people who are likely to be able to afford these houses, will be, shock, horror "outsiders" cos locals certainly won't be able to afford them.

On 10 Mar 2008 at 9:13am Dripping Pan Stan wrote:
I'm from Lewes and I'm looking at buying one of these properties as a first home. They are priced reasonably considering today's market.
I suspect the locals that can't afford them need to get better jobs.

On 10 Mar 2008 at 9:39am FA wrote:
Still living with mummy and daddy are we Stanley ?

On 10 Mar 2008 at 10:00am Dripping Pan Stan wrote:
No, I rent a house with my girlfriend.
Did my point about the locals needing better jobs hit a raw nerve?
Don't worry I'm sure you get some satisfaction pushing trolleys around Tesco's car park.

On 10 Mar 2008 at 10:09am Enoch wrote:
Stan they have not been built yet and don't be surprised that when they are they do not meet your criteria. Promises are so often broken with this type of development that you may be lucky enough to buy one (and they will only be affordable for the first person to buy as they will then sell at full market value) or they may be for the council to rent and therefore you will have to be on the housing list. To pay for the "cheaper" properties the private housing will be in line with the current market and with parking supplied be more expensive than most.

On 10 Mar 2008 at 12:11pm Dripping Pan Stan wrote:
If any of them go to the council I'll steer well clear - I have no intention of living next door to some teenage chav family and their 5 kids.

On 10 Mar 2008 at 12:21pm Dahlia Rich wrote:
How much are they likely to cost then Stan?

On 10 Mar 2008 at 12:49pm FA wrote:
You rent ???....oh dear. Bit embarassing these day.
You have a GF ? well that scotches all those rumours

On 10 Mar 2008 at 1:09pm Dripping Pan Stan wrote:
Why is renting embarrassing?

On 10 Mar 2008 at 2:30pm FA wrote:
Worse than being a council tennant....bottom of the social ladder i'm afraid. ****ing chav

On 10 Mar 2008 at 2:36pm Dripping Pan Stan wrote:
That's a ludicrous statement to make I can only assume that you are in some way retarded or drunk.
We could have bought somewhere ages ago but the thought of living in some rat infested council estate put us off. As did the prospect of neighbours like you.
Now we are in a position to buy somewhere in a more salubrious area away from the scum and the chavs that are killing Lewes.

On 10 Mar 2008 at 3:17pm FA wrote:
Yeah...of course. So why didn't you buy somewhere "ages ago"....in Housdean rise or Cuilfail maybe. Or was it the fact that banks don't give mortages to under 16's.
And if you think that the centre of town is "salubrious"....just look at the dogs**t and litter lined twitterns next time your mum lets you out without her.

On 10 Mar 2008 at 9:10pm Dahlia Rich wrote:
I can only assume, Stan, with your well paid job (or could it be wealthy parents), and hatred of council estates, that you are from Houndean.

On 11 Mar 2008 at 8:41am Dripping Pan Stan wrote:
FA,
If you actual read my previous post, you'll see that I infer that I could not afford somewhere "nice" until now. I have had friends who lived on estates and that's where my distaste comes from. I've spent enough time on them to develop a rational and unbiased opinion.
Dahlia Rich,
My parents are both retired and I'm not from Houndean, I just choose to set my sights higher than 90% of the retards that live on the estates with their pathetic little McJobs and hopeless futures.

On 11 Mar 2008 at 11:04am Amethyst wrote:
Stop bitching you snobs, inverted or otherwise!
Whatever you do to live, strive and survive we are all the same, you, me, them, everybody, everybody..................

On 11 Mar 2008 at 12:09pm Double Yellow Line wrote:
But some are more equal than others.

On 11 Mar 2008 at 1:19pm Dripping Pan Stan wrote:
There's the voice of the underclass if ever I've heard it.
Everybody is born equal but they certainly do not end up that way nor should they. You get out what you put in, no excuse for failure in this day and age.

On 11 Mar 2008 at 2:45pm FA wrote:
And do you think you'll succeed when you leave school Stanley ?. What do you want to be when you grow up ?
I see you have friends as well as a little girlfriend now.....well done

On 11 Mar 2008 at 3:09pm Dahlia Rich wrote:
I doubt your friends are still your friends after what you have just said about people who live on estates.

On 11 Mar 2008 at 4:09pm Dripping Pan Stan wrote:
They were still as school when I knew them - they've had plenty of time to sort themselves out and become productive members of society, the fact that they haven't speaks volumes about them.
FA,
I assume that because you are resorting to a very petty level you have nothing productive to add. Run along sunshine.

On 11 Mar 2008 at 5:50pm willitwork wrote:
D>P>S> god your so far up your own backside that you could give yourself an enema. Some people are fortunate to get further in life than others, that does'nt make the people less fortunate, less of a person. You sound like responsible parent, (are our children safe at school) are you sure your not the same person as your talking the same c**p !!!!!!!!
Some people have a tuff start in life and that plays a big part in how they turn out and how succesful they become. Just because you might live in the best part of Lewes does'nt make you a better person than someone not so fortunate.

On 12 Mar 2008 at 7:44am Double Yellow Line wrote:
Dear Stan
I assume that your name is meant to be ironic (look it up in a dictionary) as you are certainly not the type to stand on the terraces with the rest of us scum. No doubt you are a new fan of "footy" and go to corporate events to munch on prawn sandwiches and quaff fine wines whilst looking down on the plebs below.
Why don't you bugger of to Islington to be with your own kind you are obviously so much better than us living in your rented hovel.

On 12 Mar 2008 at 2:48pm Amethyst wrote:
I am certainly not "underclass" thank you Stan. Ever heard of intellectuals who take lowly paid jobs, such as archeaologists, for the love of the subject - they are certainly not stupid scum but they cannot afford big and expensive houses!

On 13 Mar 2008 at 1:02am lopster wrote:
Drippy Pain Stain you make me laugh you are without doubt the most bigoted, arrogant, peurile, flatulent, dog-breathed, weasel-brained, infantile, petty, snooty, cocky, irreverant, irrelevant, ingratiating tea bag that I have ever listened to (well "read" I suppose tecnically) what do you get off on? - upsetting, twisting, sniping, gloating - oh who cares - crawl backunder your home - night night

On 13 Mar 2008 at 9:45am Dripping Pan Stan wrote:
A small thank you - A friend of mine told me about this forum and mentioned that you were all quite opinionated people that rise to any bait very, very easily.
You haven't let me down. Thanks for some quality entertainment.

On 13 Mar 2008 at 10:19am FA wrote:
Go away peasant. You're very big and brave sitting there behind your monitor.

On 13 Mar 2008 at 10:58am Dripping Pan Stan wrote:
That's so scathing I might just cry myself to sleep tonight, Muppet.

On 13 Mar 2008 at 4:50pm Big John wrote:
yes Muppet. crawl away

On 13 Mar 2008 at 5:25pm FA wrote:
yeah...i'm a crawlin'....lmfao.

On 14 Mar 2008 at 8:45pm lopster wrote:
don't confuse opinionated with concerned will you (or your imaginary friend) - your consistency implies your "bait" came naturally

On 25 Mar 2008 at 8:24pm Roly Mo wrote:
The car park behind Lewes House will be closing at the end of April, so look out for the extra 80 or so cars that will no longer have anywhere to park. And how long will it be before the houses start going up............?

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

Moving On parade 93:132
Moving On parade

Might be worth a closer look more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.
George Orwell