Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes Football Club

On 9 Jul 2010 at 8:02am steve watts wrote:
Barcelona of the South Downs ? www.lewesfc.com

On 9 Jul 2010 at 9:49am Down and Out wrote:
That's brilliant news! I really hope it works out.
I'll give it less than 5 posts before gooner comes trolling along to spout some old guff about how Lewes FC are rubbish, tho...

On 9 Jul 2010 at 10:01am supporter wrote:
Fantastic news this looks to be a good way forward for our local club.
Wonder if we will able to buy a share?

On 9 Jul 2010 at 10:07am steve watts wrote:
After the transformation period membership will be open to all, one member one vote. Sponsorship of the club available now.

On 9 Jul 2010 at 10:34am Martin Elliott wrote:
Can I put 'Philcox Bros' on the shirts?

On 9 Jul 2010 at 10:41am Gooner wrote:
Lewes FC are rubbish................

On 9 Jul 2010 at 12:25pm l.f.f wrote:
good luck to them power to the people

On 9 Jul 2010 at 12:40pm Rookie wrote:
Here's to another 125 years. Cheers!!
I hope all this works out. It sounds like a good strategy and I, for one, will be there supporting as best I can. I hope others will look beyond Gooners blinkered premiership-is-best views and give the Pan a try on a Saturday afternoon.
Real football. NOT overpaid prima-donnas.

On 11 Jul 2010 at 5:00pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Great exhibition down at Foundry Gallery as well to support the club. Hope they make some money - but unfortunately I fear much of the artwork was priced way above what ordinary people could afford.
When does the new season start ?

On 11 Jul 2010 at 10:21pm steve watts wrote:
Saturday 14th of August, first home game Wednesday 18th,

On 12 Jul 2010 at 9:20am Janet Street Preacher wrote:
I don't think ordinary people were invited to the Foundry on Thursday
On 12 Jul 2010 at 4:13pm not from around here wrote:
Not being a football fan I've not been following the fortunes of Lewes FC until recently. However, now with absolute horror I read that Nick Williams publisher of Viva Lewes is to be heavily involved with the future of the club. What a pity for Lewes!

On 12 Jul 2010 at 5:39pm Rookie wrote:
What is so bad about Nick Williams being involved? I don't know anything about him except Viva Lewes. Do tell.

On 12 Jul 2010 at 7:22pm supporter wrote:
Yes I would like to know what the problem is with Nick Williams or is this just scaremongery?

On 12 Jul 2010 at 11:18pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
I think anyone could go - the invites were left in virtually every shop in Lewes.
I'm puzzled as to why the involvement of Nick should be a problem. Even if you don't like it, Viva Lewes is a great local success and committed to the life of the town - and I'm sure he must have pretty good business acumen to be its publisher. It's really now up to everyone in Lewes to support its football team - and I shall be becoming a member and contributing as soon as I can. Every member gets a say in how the club is run, which seems pretty democratic and community -minded.

On 13 Jul 2010 at 2:44pm not from around here wrote:
Um, well where do I start. Viva lewes is part of the cosy group of self congratulatory smug arty-farties who all promote each other at the expense of anybody who is 'not from around here'. Viva Lewes has a habit of promoting events/causes which they 'approve' of at the exclusion of others. Committed to the life of the town? Er, no, they are committed to THEIR version of life in the town.
Ask yourself if they honestly report what goes on in the town? I know what I think.
Rupert Murdoch anybody?

On 13 Jul 2010 at 2:56pm Smiler wrote:
Any new community based regime has to be a lot better than the club going down the pan.

See what I did there?

On 13 Jul 2010 at 3:00pm not from around here wrote:
Yes I agree, if it works it should be a great idea for the club - but just let me vent some steam over Viva lewes please before I explode! Pssshhht!

On 13 Jul 2010 at 3:07pm brixtonbelle wrote:
Seems there's lots of different versions of Lewes and Lewes life. But just cos you don't like Viva Lewes and their life style, life view, etc doesn't mean it's a bad idea that they are involved in helping set up a community football club and thus help save it from 'going down the pan' (yes, smiler ). And no, I don't have any connection with Viva Lewes.

On 13 Jul 2010 at 3:24pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
Talk me through the off-side rule BB

On 13 Jul 2010 at 3:53pm Vauxhall Viva wrote:
Having known at least one of the Viva lewes team since he was about 12, I am quite amused by him being described as a self congratulatory smug arty-farty because I can't think of anything further off the mark ! Furthermore, they are not there to 'honestly report what goes on in the town', that is the job of the local newspapers. What Viva lewes do is publish articles about specific events or places in and around the town, along with articles of local interest. Yes, they have a feature on local art (which I never read), but they also feature local bands, pubs, restaurants and people etc. If you don't share the same interest in those events or places then don't read it, after all it doesn't cost you anything. Perhaps instead of slagging it off, you could contact the editor with some ideas for future fearures which you think would appeal to you and others. I am sure they would be happy to consider all suggestions.
Anyway, you still haven't explained what your problem is with Nick Williams, only that you don't like Viva Lewes reporting style, which as far as I can see has got absolutely nothing to do with Lewes Football Club.

On 13 Jul 2010 at 4:32pm Rookie wrote:
'ere be monsters. Here's an explanation of the offside rule with a female slant:
You're in a shoe shop, second in the queue for the till. Behind the shop assistant on the till is a pair of shoes which you have seen and which you must have.
The 'opposing' female shopper in front of you has seen them also and is eyeing them with desire.
Both of you have forgotten your purses.
It would be totally rude to push in front of the first woman if you had no money to pay for the shoes.
The shop assistant remains at the till waiting.
Your friend is trying on another pair of shoes at the back of the shop and sees your dilemma.
She prepares to throw her purse to you.
If she does so, you can catch the purse, then walk round the other shopper and buy the shoes.
At a pinch she could throw the purse ahead of the other shopper and, *whilst it is in flight* you could nip around the other shopper,
catch the purse and buy the shoes.
Always remembering that until the purse had *actually been thrown* it would be plain wrong to be forward of the other shopper.

On 13 Jul 2010 at 4:59pm not from around here wrote:
Vauxhall Viva - I can't go into more detail on here - unfortunately - because I would love to.
The fact that I can't go into more detail is what should concern you..

On 13 Jul 2010 at 5:02pm not from around here wrote:
Vauxhall Viva you also said "Perhaps instead of slagging it off, you could contact the editor with some ideas for future fearures which you think would appeal to you and others. I am sure they would be happy to consider all suggestions"
Well funnily enough a friend of mine has done this many times with no joy. The reply was that they only cover things 'they like'. So there's your answer.

On 13 Jul 2010 at 5:28pm Vauxhall Viva wrote:
You can't go into detail about Nick Williams, and offer a rather glib comment about 'a friend' who has done this many times. All sounds a bit convenient to me I'm afraid. I still don't see the problem. Viva lewes obviously have an interest in Lewes FC, otherwise they wouldn't print a feature about them in every issue. What are you doing to help the club ?

On 13 Jul 2010 at 6:06pm Rookie wrote:
Tomorrow (Wednesday) at 9am an ever dependable volunteer group of supporters is repainting the inside of the Rook Inn. I'm sure any help would be gratefully received if anyone feels up to it.

On 13 Jul 2010 at 6:08pm not from around here wrote:
Oh boy, can't you get the message! For me to go into detail here would be damaging to my friends interests in Lewes and strongly as feel I'm simply not prepared to do that. The very fact that I am reluctant to go any further should speak volumes to you.
As you might have noticed I am myself 'not from around here' and so I'm not doing anything for the club - plus I don't follow football or even like football.
If local people like the club and the club is to be saved then that is a good thing but my comment was that in general terms I think it is regrettable that Viva lewes and its owner has so much influence in the town.
Viva lewes's editorial policy is not divorced from it's owner. The problem is with the editor and the owner appointed the editor.
By the way, outside of Lewes Viva lewes is famous for the wrong reasons! It's had the mickey taken out of it several times in various publications for it's bizarre representation of the town which it constantly tells us 'punches well above it's cultural weight'.
I'm sure Nick Williams knows what he is doing from a business point of view - appoint an editor that appeals to a certain element in the town - it sells ads and makes money. It's not published for altruistic reasons. Maybe other things are not done for altruistic reasons either..

On 14 Jul 2010 at 10:14am Vauxhall Viva wrote:
Tell me, as you are 'not from around here', do you actually read Viva lewes or are you just spreading second hand gossip? And being 'not from around here' do you know enough about the town to even comment on whether Viva lewes publish a bizarre or true representation of it? Perhaps you could give an example of the bizarre Viva lewes version of life in the town which you believe to be false. Tell me also, do you do your job for altruistic reasons?, because I certainly don't. Like most people I do my job to make a living for myself and my family.
The owners/team at Viva lewes are doing this by publishing a magazine. As I said before, this doesn't cost you anything, so what does it matter? If you don't like it, or don't agree with it, just throw it in the bin. There is no need to make personal accusations (even if you can't actually say what they are) against members of their team. It would also be interesting to know what influence you think Viva lewes has over the town which is so regrettable.

On 14 Jul 2010 at 12:51pm Dumpy wrote:
Good luck to Viva Lewes, it has some interesting articles and of course it's free. But it's not only outside Lewes that it's famous for the wrong reasons; a lot of people that that I know in the town do find bizarre it's constant implication that Lewes is a town consisting mainly of artists, poets and purveyors of organic locally-sourced produce. Maybe it's because, like 95% of Lewes residents, we're not ?artisans' (isn't that a type of well?) or, to use a brilliant phrase that I picked up from an earlier thread, ?upper middle class Lewesian brown rice munching twots'. Still, live and let live I say ? the town's big enough for us all.

On 14 Jul 2010 at 2:06pm I am from around here wrote:
Don't take any notice of "not from around here". Just another troll doing some self satisfying mischief making.

On 14 Jul 2010 at 8:03pm not from around here wrote:
Thank you 'Dumpy' you said it all and there are so many more like you who have similar opinions.
I think 'Vauxhall Viva' that as you know one of the VL team you are taking this much too personally - no need to, any criticism is not aimed at you.
As a magazine that is widely circulated around Lewes it is inevitable that what it chooses to cover and just as importantly what it chooses not to cover will have an influence on it's readers - otherwise why bother with the editorial if won't have an influence?
One of it's influences is as 'Dumpy' pointed out to imply that ALL of Lewes is populated by sandal-wearing, recycled bean eating arty-farties when it so clearly is not.
'Not from around here' simply means I am not FROM around here, not that I am not here at all. I work in Lewes and spend a lot of time there. The whole point of my online name is to make it clear to others that I have an 'outsiders view' of Lewes. My view is that Lewes is a beautiful town ruined by the likes of VL and their arty elite chums - but that's just my view. I do read it, I do throw it away and I don't like it because it presents a distorted view of the Lewes and the genuinely nice Lewes people I know.
I'm not a troll, not even sure what that is actually.

On 14 Jul 2010 at 8:57pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
Sorry - whats wrong with being arty ? As far as I see Viva Lewes doesn't claim to represent the town. It's a very well produced freebie that treads pretty much the same furrow each month, and probably needs to expand its remit or ambitions to maintain people's continuing interest. But it's very good at listing the majority of events in the town. I also like Lewes news for being exactly what it is, with a great adlistings section at the end. There could be room for more publications in Lewes to cater for the other than arty crowd, but someone else would have to run it.
It's rather like criticising The Guardian for not being the News of the World, all a matter of taste and opiinion.

On 14 Jul 2010 at 9:59pm not from around here wrote:
As you say Brixtonbelle it's a matter of opinion - and I was just expressing mine.
Over and out.

On 15 Jul 2010 at 8:34am 'ere be monsters wrote:
Going back to the original post. I sincerely hope Lewes is not the Barcelona of the South Downs. Barcelona have just had to borrow £125 million to pay their wage bill.

On 15 Jul 2010 at 8:39am Down and Out wrote:
ebm - that's true. Won their league, won their domestic cup, semis in the Champs League and they still don't have a pot to p1ss in! There's something very wrong there - and people say English football finance is screwed!

On 15 Jul 2010 at 9:31am Down and Out wrote:
'beautiful town ruined by the likes of VL and their arty elite chums'
NFRH - I'm mystified. In what way has Viva Lewes materially ruined anything about the town? I lived in Brighton for years before I moved to Lewes and, as far as I can see, the town has had a reputation for being a bit sandal-wearing woolly liberal ever since Sussex Uni opened in the sixties, and certainly for years before VL was even a twinkle in its editors' eyes. If the fact that Wickle is around means there's two less vacant shops, well, good.
Maybe you need to start the 'Doughty Working Class Yeoman's Weekly' or something, with discussions on who's the best tyre-fitter in town.

On 15 Jul 2010 at 10:06am Reliable Plumber wrote:
Tut tut tut 'working class'? It's 'blue collar' in post Blair's New England.

On 15 Jul 2010 at 1:04pm Brixtonbelle wrote:
'Doughty Working Class Yeoman's Weekly' - I like it D and O.It could work.

On 15 Jul 2010 at 2:33pm 'ere be monsters wrote:
I doubty it!!

On 15 Jul 2010 at 6:28pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Isn't it sort of inevitable that arty types are going to be drawn to towns that are aesthetically attractive? I think it's something that people of the town should be proud of. If anyone finds it that intolerable, I don't think they'd be much troubled by arty farty types in Newhaven or Hailsham, for example, so they could always move.
It's the irritating smugness of Viva Lewes that gets up my nose, not its artiness. I'm liking the idea of "Doughty Working Class Yeoman's Weekly" too. It could have pictures of people's whippets, and a pants price-check column, the cost of pants in Lewes being such a bete noir of the likes of Spongebob et al.
Actually, where IS Spongebob?

On 15 Jul 2010 at 10:33pm Dumpy wrote:
Non-arty types should move to unattractive towns - excellent idea! We are a bit of an embaressment after all; we could take our whippets with us!

On 16 Jul 2010 at 8:23am supporter wrote:
When are we likely to find out about buying shares?

On 16 Jul 2010 at 9:31am steve watts wrote:
Membership available to all next summer, one member one vote ! Sponsorship/contributions gratefully received today.

This thread has reached its limit now
Why not start another one

The Lewes Crest 118:132
The Lewes Crest

I can't go on it. Literally not even read it through my own Facebook site. I have been told how to read it on here but cannot... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I like the way streets have street parties!!!!!!!
JoJo