Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes District Elections

On Sat 4 May at 9:31am Fairmeadow wrote:
Lewes is indeed the worst LibDem result in the country, according to the BBC, who say 5 seats lost. One of the former LibDems was reelected as n independent, and most of the other seats they lost were to Greens.
On Sat 4 May at 10:58am Ferret wrote:
Voters in Lewes and Ringmer can be very proud of themselves, showing once again that they are caring people who want to build a better future for their children by supporting the Greens and LibDems. It's unfortunate that LDC also includes the selfish bigots who live in the countryside around, and on the coast.
On Sat 4 May at 10:20pm Basil wrote:
Good to see the Lib Dems haven't been forgiven for the part they played in the 2010 to 2015 austerity coalition. The Tories we know are always lower than vermin. We expected better of the Lib Dems.
On Sat 4 May at 11:15pm Local99 wrote:
Ferret is just so, so Lewes.
Knows best for everyone.
On Sun 5 May at 12:17am Fairmeadow wrote:
Ferret: the Green wins in Lewes and Ringmer were mainly at the expense of the LibDems, who now have no seats in either.
On Sun 5 May at 8:33am Mark wrote:
I've never got the idea of blaming the LDs for entering into coalition. They did it to secure a referendum on proportional voting which they expected to win (and should have won!) And then that was lost and then after that they just hung around on the seedy side of the house wondering what to do next. They did block a lot very daft and cruel Tory legislation.

Check it out here »
On Sun 5 May at 11:00am Ferret wrote:
@Fairmeadow Thanks for pointing that out. The LibDems did well in some areas around Lewes, such as Kingston and Newhaven, but yes, Lewes and Ringmer are Green. I nearly switched to the Greens myself as I think their pro-EU message is strong, and their commitment to improving the environment (of course), but I thought the LibDems were the best bet to keep the Tories out.
On Sun 5 May at 11:05am Ferret wrote:
@Local99 Thank you for the compliment. I'm proud to be considered "so Lewes", even though I live in the district, not the town. Lewes has a long tradition of bucking national trends, and of being the home to enlightened views. The right wing nutters who sometimes infect this forum are a tiny minority that we have to put up with, I suppose. And of course, most people believe that their opinions are the right ones. Why would they believe in them if they didn't?
On Sun 5 May at 2:26pm Local99 wrote:
I intended no compliment (for Americans and others who don't understand irony or sarcasm).
There is huge difference in holding one's own opinions, and those people who insist of forcing theirs on everyone else, refusing in the process to acknowledge that others' might possibly be credible.
I have never ever encountered so many of the latter group anywhere I've ever spent any time, compared to up-itself Lewes.
On Sun 5 May at 4:18pm Ferret wrote:
@Local99 Irony and sarcasm don't really work in social media comments, do they? Of course I knew you didn't mean it to be a compliment. I feel sorry for you that you are so unhappy and that you clearly feel that you don't fit in. Perhaps you would be happier in Sunderland, or Stoke, or Clacton, where you might find more people who think like you.
On Sun 5 May at 7:54pm Bert wrote:
So, is Janet Baah still Mayoress despite not getting elected to the district council ? Can't seem to find anything online !

On Sun 5 May at 8:03pm Fairmeadow wrote:
I couldn't find anything about the town council elections either. Lewes-Eastbourne.gov.uk are the responsible returning officers but can't be bothered to let us know; none of the town council websites seems to have been updated; and such minor politics is beneath the notice of the Sussex Express. Which of these poorly functional organisations will be the first to get the news out do you think?
On Sun 5 May at 10:50pm Basil wrote:
What I like about the Lib Dems is that they are completely honest in their policy of 'Vote and vote again till you give the City and the bankers the answer they want'. And I always admire the way their present leader sold off Royal Mail so cheaply to the... surprise surprise... EU supporting City.
On Sun 5 May at 11:52pm Dave wrote:
I like the way the Lib Demís are prepared to do whatís right and not stand by a result that was criminally manipulated
On Mon 6 May at 4:29pm Ed Can Do wrote:
St Ruth posted the town council results on Facebook, it's basically no change at all there with Ruth, Catlin and disgraced former mayor Graham Mayhew retaining their seats as independents, every Green who stood getting elected and LibDems making up the numbers. No more Susan Murray which will be a blow for the property ownership ambitions of the Subuddies but Mayhew and Catlin retaining their seats means we can all look forward to another year of angry-faced pointing on the front of the Sussex Express.
On Tue 7 May at 11:24pm Local99 wrote:
I would be happier if there were less people like Ferret around, jumping to conclusions about me because I disagree with him / her. Why can't people keep their political opinions to themselves, rather than politicising everything and being offended by any opinion different to their own. You sound like you want only that sort of person living in Lewes. Imagine how much more pleasant this town would be if everyone felt like they were equal .

On Wed 8 May at 10:14am A Person wrote:
Local99, this is a thread about the local elections? It's not really unreasonable to voice political opinions in a thread specifically about politics, is it?

On Wed 8 May at 10:20pm Local99 wrote:
My comments are about everyday life in Lewes, not this thread....

19 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Harveys Brewery 40:143
Harveys Brewery

I can understand those with road bikes (you know, drop handlebars, no bell, bums in the air etc) prefer to stay on the road, and... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine