Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes Community Land Trust

On 13 Mar 2016 at 5:00pm Just Wondering wrote:
Just looking at their website - Lewes Community Land Trust (Lewes CLT) was formed in 2007 as an alternative to private, profit-driven development. We aim to acquire suitable local sites on behalf of the community and then build and manage developments that people actually want...

Has the Trust ever acquired any local sites on behalf of the community to build and manage developments that people actuallu want?
On 13 Mar 2016 at 6:22pm Celine wrote:
I think you'll find that they put a bid in for the St Anne's site to provide affordable housing.
On 13 Mar 2016 at 9:05pm Just wondering wrote:
So that's almost 10 years existence, lots of meetings, a 10,000 grant according to the website, and one unsuccessful bid. It makes you wonder what it's all about doesn't t?
On 13 Mar 2016 at 9:15pm Trust me wrote:
Well at least they've tried
On 14 Mar 2016 at 9:45am Celine wrote:
I also think they're behind the affordable housing in the Phoenix Quarter development.
On 14 Mar 2016 at 10:39am Miss Ann Thrope wrote:
Well at least they are trying to do something for the local community. Community land trusts are gaining ground (literally) and starting to set up innovative housing schemes that keep houses in public use in perpetuity - so they can never be sold off for private profit. I fully support the Lewes group - even if they manage to build just 10 houses - that grant will be worth it.
On 14 Mar 2016 at 12:09pm CLT wrote:
I have interest in the CLT - does that make me a CLinT. Suggestions welcomed.
On 14 Mar 2016 at 4:47pm Just Wondering wrote:
Celine in what way are they 'behind' the affordable housing on the Phoenix? I thought this was automatically built into planning permission when it's granted. Ten years and not much to show for it it looks like. Is it just an organisation for people who enjoy meetings? Has one single person in Lewes benefited?
On 14 Mar 2016 at 6:10pm Celine wrote:
I believe they negotiated with the Santon and LDC to have the houses in perpetuity for the people of Lewes. You really need to talk to someone who is directly involved, I'm not. Can you email them on their website or are you just trying to run them down for reasons only known to yourself?
On 14 Mar 2016 at 6:57pm John Stockdale wrote:
I'm a trustee of the CLT. The CLT was set up in 2007. When Angel Property went into administration in 2009, we researched what the community wanted to see developed on North Street and brought together a consortium to bid for the site. The consortium's bid was topped by Santon and the CLT helped form the Sounding Group that engaged with Santon as they made their plans for the development.
We bid for the St Anne's site in 2013 for a mixed development including affordable housing but did not win that tender either.
We've now got memorandum of understanding a sort of outline agreement - with LDC and Santon to develop 15 houses on the North Street site as part of the affordable provision. To make that a reality, we have been given a 10k grant to help with our set up costs, produce a viable business plan, agree an allocations policy with the Council and fix a deal with the developers that our potential residents can afford and banks are prepared to lend on . To get that right takes time, research and professional help. But we are making good progress. We hope to get to the next stage in April.

27 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

The Elly Angel 124:143
The Elly Angel

I'm very happy for you then. How are you going to use it? more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.
Oscar Wilde