Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes Coalition

On 26 Nov 2008 at 12:51pm Dave wrote:
I got one of those Lewes Coalition flyers through the door the other day but the wife binned it before I managed to memorise the date of the town hall meeting.
Does anyone know when it is?

On 26 Nov 2008 at 3:00pm Lopster wrote:
never even got one - perhaps Landport people perceived not to be of "appropriate" "quality" - I'd like the info too!!!

On 26 Nov 2008 at 3:06pm Dog in a Cape wrote:
Its the 8th Dec at 7.45pm doors open at 7.00pm.

On 26 Nov 2008 at 3:14pm Dog in a Cape wrote:
Speakers: Andrew Simpson, Pru Rowntree, Tom Crossett followed by a full public debate. Stall: Residents' Associations and other active groups in the town.

On 26 Nov 2008 at 3:15pm Burnt toast wrote:
We all know this is for middle-class NIMBYs who live in the expensive houses in the town centre. We're not allowed into their coalition as we might disrupt their cozy consensus.

On 26 Nov 2008 at 3:37pm Dog in a Cape wrote:
I liked their flyer, very stylish. I don't live in a big house and I don't expect I'm middle class but I might go and register my feelings on the future of Lewes.

On 26 Nov 2008 at 3:44pm Malling resident wrote:
BURNT TOAST-This meeting is for all residents of Lewes, Every house will get a flyer we have not got to every one yet.
The coalition is not for the middle class NIMBYS and if you have some thing to say come alone to the meeting and say it, not hide behide a computer.
The coalition is working for all of Lewes residents, I live in Malling NOT in a large exensive house in the town centre.

On 26 Nov 2008 at 4:17pm Earl of Lewes wrote:
I'm a NIMBY and proud of it. I like my back yard and don't want politicians or businesses b****ring it up.

Sadly I don't live in a large, expensive house in the centre of town and there isn't enough room in my garden to swing a cat (and believe me I've tried, particularly when they cr*p on my plants), although I hope I'm middle-class, as I've spent years practising.

But on a serious note, our town is being shafted by a coalition of parking attendants, property developers and the ESDC. Businesses are going bust. local landmarks are being ruined and people's opinions are being ignored.

I hadn't had the leaflet yet. Where is it?

On 26 Nov 2008 at 5:59pm Golden Brown wrote:
It is disappointing that Burnt Toast makes the assumption that it's only "middle-class NIMBYs who live in the expensive houses in the town centre" as the same overdevelopment and loss of amenity issues face ALL Lewes residents; it's just that the destruction we have witnessed to date is in the town centre.
I always understood that to assume was to make an ASS out of U and ME, therefore don't do it.

On 26 Nov 2008 at 6:26pm Ed Can Do wrote:
We all know that over-development affects us all, nobody's pretending it doesn't. Most of us realise though that a collection of hand-wringing, middle class, middle of town types patting each other on the back in the town hall for two hours will make bugger all difference to anything.
People need to be making a stand against over-development by contesting planning applications, voting out the useless councillors and writing letters to the relevant government bodies. Yet another self-congratulatory public meeting will acheive exactly zero. ESCC et al do a great job of ignoring overwhelming public opinion in case you'd all not noticed and they'll steadfastly ignore this too.

On 26 Nov 2008 at 6:28pm Lopster wrote:
count me in
see you all there I hope
surely we are all NIMBYs to some extent?
NIMBY and proud
DFL and proud
Lewes Resident and PROUDER!!!!

On 26 Nov 2008 at 6:32pm Angry of Lewes (Retd) wrote:
me too Lopster - well 5 of your six lines apply to me as well
good on you!!

On 26 Nov 2008 at 7:23pm Local wrote:
There are enough people coming onto this site with strong opinions to fill the hall - let's hope they get there as this meeting could see the real beginning of the struggle to take Lewes back.

On 26 Nov 2008 at 7:42pm s.oliver wrote:
since some residents of Lewes are technically NIMBY's because they don't want LDC to commandeer their back gardens without their permission, I think it is very ignorant to use it as an insult. would the 'posters' above give their 'yards'away, or have they got the balls you need not to be literally bulldozed by LDC?

On 26 Nov 2008 at 8:00pm outsider wrote:
Please explain, sounds a bit cryptic otherwise, don't understand the back garden bullying thing.

On 26 Nov 2008 at 10:32pm Barry wrote:
Hi all (long-time reader, first-time poster). There's been a bit of garden grabbing around the South East - was reported in the Sussex Express in Polegate where they're planning to put 7,000 houses. I think the NIMBY insult above was based on the fact that some people in the town over-react to any proposed development, rather than just those that deserve a reaction. I would love to see a full-time cinema in Lewes, what are the chances of that?

On 26 Nov 2008 at 10:40pm s.oliver wrote:
Hi. Just take a look at two threads below about East St car park wall. This involves a wall negelected by the Council for over 15yrs that needs restoration. There is an application for it at the moment, but even this has been submitted incorrectly. Part has already been knocked down and rebuilt without planning permission.(it is in a Conservation Area) The Council put in an application that involves filling the back gardens of residents with concrete slabs and backfill, instead of using other methods. There was no proper consultation, no permission to do this, from residents, and one set of residents was rather unpleasantly threatened with court action regarding a tree, that was eventually withdrawn. All part of LDC's epartments inept way of dealing with residents who pay for their 'services'

On 26 Nov 2008 at 10:44pm S.oliver wrote:
I am sure some people do over-react, but we have very serious problems in Lewes, that relate to our Council's failure to follow proper processes, and a determination to ignore legislation that would protect our Conservation area. A cinema would be great, but no one has ever put a Planning application in for one, so it has never been an issue. Charles Style dangled the possibility, as a carrot, but it was never applied for, and he proposed it on land he didn't own!

On 27 Nov 2008 at 2:39am not from around here wrote:
As I'm not from around here can somebody explain what the Lewes Coalition is?
Thanks.

On 27 Nov 2008 at 5:01pm sashimi wrote:
For those who havent had it yet, here's the text of the leaflet. It's going out slowly throughout the Town.
Lewes is nationally recognised as one of 50 most architecturally important towns in Britain. The whole central part of the town is a conservation area yet this has already been blighted by a number of unsightly, oversized, poorly designed-and-built developments - with many more and even larger
ones to come.
It is now time for the people of Lewes to make it clear that we have lost faith in the slipshod and undemocratic approach to planning in this town. We want a Council that says there will be no irresponsible development on the flood plain and gives us back our bus station. We want developments that add something positive to our wonderful town, such as homes, work and facilities for the youth of our town rather than even more high-priced apartments.
In the last week of October, the BBCs Inside Out, broadcast a feature on planning issues in Lewes. This is just one of the results of the work being done by the Lewes Coalition, an effective grouping of representatives of all the groups who have previously been individually fighting various developments and planning proposals.
Next year, Lewes District Council have to produce a new Plan for the Town. Come to a public meeting in the Town Hall on Thursday 8 December at 7:45pm to join the debate and express your views as to how Lewes should be shaped for the future.

On 27 Nov 2008 at 6:20pm Annette Curtin-Twitcher wrote:
Erm, isn't 8th December a Monday, not a Thursday?

On 28 Nov 2008 at 3:18pm sashimi wrote:
erm, yes Annette, *Monday* 8 December, St Lucy's Night when flaxen-haired Swedish maidens wander through the town with lighted candles in their hair.

On 30 Nov 2008 at 4:14am SHS wrote:
How many should I expect and do they follow any particular route? When is the best time for an encounter?

On 30 Nov 2008 at 6:50pm Bedlam Babe wrote:
I think a few posters around town with the amended day would be a good thing. It's hard enough getting people to turn up to meetings without giving them the wrong day as well.

On 2 Dec 2008 at 10:28pm Lopster wrote:
You'll have a long wait I'm afraid SHS - St Lucy doesn't strutt her stuff until December 13th - procession of girls with candles I understand - drooool

On 8 Dec 2008 at 4:55pm lewes lover wrote:
Viva the revolution!

On 11 Dec 2008 at 8:49pm t Fothergill wrote:
My Family live in Eastbourne and fully support the battle to prevent unsightly and inapropriate in Lewes and the County as a whole, but we live in an age of greed, stupidity and arrogant politicians/Councils (gee thanks bliar/clown) unfortunately nice polite written objections no longer seem to work with these beauracrats as they have thrown the rule book in the bin!!, we have to shout in their faces to make our displeasure known.. it seems they regard as little more than spineless sheep, WAKE UP ENGLAND before they have taken everything that was ever worthwhile about our Country.

On 19 Feb 2009 at 8:39pm Lewes Developer wrote:
I think there has been some great developemnt in Lewes. Whats ablout the two new houses on the cornder of mountfield Road and the terrace of houses corner of Garden Street and Priory Street.

9 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Did the culture of self-aggrandising 'grief' begin with Lady Di's death or has it always been around. more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine