Lewes Forum thread

Go on, tell 'em what you think

Lewes Forum New message

Lewes Christmas "lights"

On 5 Dec 2017 at 3:21pm Theresa's Philip wrote:
The impressive Lewes "Christmas lights" are up - they've got away with a single 13 amp socket this year

On 5 Dec 2017 at 6:48pm Gobsmacked wrote:
Unbelievable.
Absolutely unbelievable.
Is that all Lewes can manage.
On 5 Dec 2017 at 6:52pm Twinkless wrote:
Cliffe high st would look so nice with some lights up. Who's the Scrooge that decided against any attempt at festive decorations?
On 5 Dec 2017 at 7:07pm Glitter wrote:
Clearly it is the councils fault as this should be paid for out of the extortionate business rates. Local shops have to contend with the nightmare parking scheme, out of town shopping and the internet.
On 5 Dec 2017 at 10:23pm Town Berk wrote:
I'm actually pleased we don't get involved with all that tat. Move to Newhaven if you want that crap.
On 5 Dec 2017 at 10:46pm Bert wrote:
They take the business rates, then at every opportunity run a market in the precinct to make the shop trade even more difficult. As if it isn't hard enough.
On 6 Dec 2017 at 6:45am Inthegutter wrote:
The markets that are run on precinct generally sell different things from the surrounding shops. While I appreciate that the markets restrict the flow of traffic I think they also draw people to the shops as well. I imagine the markets are a net boost to the surrounding shops. Given that there isn't a market every week it would be easy to ascertain their effect be it positive or negative.
On 6 Dec 2017 at 8:06am Inthegutterings wrote:
Affect.
Not effect.
Illiterate.
On 6 Dec 2017 at 9:01am Lewesian Lad of Yore wrote:
Well done Vicky, but what a shame, a thread about Christmas Lights gets twisted and drifts from the original subject matter to become a grammar attack.
Relating back to the title of the thread, it was discussed on the 17th of Nov and my comments then haven't changed, it is a pity given the perfect line from Thomas a Becket's Church to the Town Clock at the top of the High St, it screams out for festive lights.
On 6 Dec 2017 at 11:37am Donald Duck wrote:
The outdoor shop is an independent shop and looks wonderful they care and would love the support of others I'm sure
On 6 Dec 2017 at 6:25pm Twinkle wrote:
I blame the shop keepers. I don't know what's wrong with them, surely they can see how dull Lewes looks.
On 6 Dec 2017 at 10:35pm Sue wrote:
Are we going to get a Xmas tree in the precinct this year?
On 7 Dec 2017 at 6:55am @Sue wrote:
Yes it's already there!
On 7 Dec 2017 at 12:22pm Nathaniel Garro wrote:
Putting up Christmas lights is down to the Chamber of Commerce, not any of the councils. Given that they chose to have their meetings at Cote rather than pay for a road closure on late night shopping, hard to see them putting their hands in their pockets for lights now after not having done so for twenty odd years.
On 7 Dec 2017 at 12:46pm @Intheguttering wrote:
Affect is a verb meaning to influence something to change. Effect is the result of the change.
Therefore, Inthegutter is correct in saying effect, as he is talking about ascertaining the result of doing something.
Illiterate!
On 7 Dec 2017 at 2:16pm Never mind the guttering wrote:
Look @ that lovely lead downpipe - Łoadsamoney, where's my jemmy.

On 12 Dec 2017 at 9:03am Hastings direct wrote:
Hastings Old town has a similar street to Cliffe High Street and manages to keep it
1. Traffic free for most of the day
2. Looking lovely with simple strings of plain white light bulbs hung across the street.
Lewes town council and Chamber of Commerce take note.

20 posts left

Your response

You must now log in (or register) to post
Click here to add a link »
Smile
Smile Wink Sad Confused Kiss Favourite Fishing Devil Cool

terms

Kingston Windmill 51:132
Kingston Windmill

Both my partner and I are front line blue light , Don’t mind in “the season” when the out fire coaches return , I am a paid up... more
QUOTE OF THE MOMENT
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
Thomas Paine